Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Oasis XL Vs. Cigar Oasis XL Plus

1. Default Cigar Oasis XL Vs. Cigar Oasis XL Plus

What’s the difference? I read the description on both of them and I don't see much of a difference. I’m converting a wine cooler into a humidor and was thinking about getting one of these. I was also considering one for a desktop Their is the cigar oasis short refill cartridge which is supposed be good for the regular Cigar Oasis XL and use inside a desktop humidor. Anyway, what’s the real difference?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan54 View Post
    What’s the difference? I read the description on both of them and I don't see much of a difference. I’m converting a wine cooler into a humidor and was thinking about getting one of these. I was also considering one for a desktop Their is the cigar oasis short refill cartridge which is supposed be good for the regular Cigar Oasis XL and use inside a desktop humidor. Anyway, what’s the real difference?
    Beads brother. Beads !!!!
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

The XL Plus is good for a larger humidor (like up to 1000) the XL is only good for about 300 I believe. Might have to do with fan size.

Will

Edit (a snippet from Oasis' website): This Cigar Oasis XL Plus is an electronic humidifier that is fully automatic. While it is the same size as the Cigar Oasis XL, the basic difference is in the change of airflow and water cartridge to allow the unit to pick up more moisture and provide more rapid humidification for larger humidors, chests and end table humidors.
    Last edited by badwhale; 02-02-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added some info
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Beads brother. Beads !!!!
    Beads are great, no doubt, but some larger cabinet humis really work better with some sort of active (i.e. fan action) device to move the humidity around.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

90% of the electricthermo wine coolers have an internal fan. I run a 32 bottle one now. I use two pounds of beads one on the botton and one I hang right in front of the fan. Unless he is buying a MASSIVE unit. they are only about 3ft tall and 2ft deep. Two pound of beads with an internal fan is pleanty IMHO
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Ahhhh, I missed the wine cooler usage part. I was answering the question about the difference between the XL & the XL Plus.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

7. Default

O so I get it, just forget the oasis and go with the Beads. Maybe I should try them in my desktop? I’ve noticed that in the winter time when it gets cold in my place which it does. It is hard to keep the humidity up. Some people have suggested to me to use one of these types of humidification devices to force the humidity up, because the evaporative systems don't work that well if it gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Ahhhh, I missed the wine cooler usage part. I was answering the question about the difference between the XL & the XL Plus.

Will
    I bought an Oasis a while back.
    I'm bald now because I ripped all the fucking hair from my head using it.
    ~ Gerry Adams

O so I get it, just forget the oasis and go with the Beads. Maybe I should try them in my desktop? I’ve noticed that in the winter time when it gets cold in my place which it does. It is hard to keep the humidity up. Some people have suggested to me to use one of these types of humidification devices to force the humidity up, because the evaporative systems don't work that well if it gets cold.
    The one thing I have learned on this forum is BEADS !
    Everything else is a pain in the ass.
    I used boveda packs in my desktop for months. They say they are good for up to three months. Sometimes they would only last one month. I switched to beads for my two desktops and wine cooler. Since that move I have had no problems and life is good.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Does your wine-cooler have a fan that moves the air?
    If yes, then beads distributed thorughout as described by Paddy will do the trick.

If no, then you need some way to move the air around inside the cooler....hence the need for the oasis or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Does your wine-cooler have a fan that moves the air?
    If yes, then beads distributed thorughout as described by Paddy will do the trick.

If no, then you need some way to move the air around inside the cooler....hence the need for the oasis or something similar.
    exactly, When I looked for a wine cooler to transform into a humidor, they key part was an internal fan. With the Thermoelectric units you will have some condentation in the summer months when humidity is high. The good thing with the beads is you can hang one bag in front of the fan to catch any stray drops being sprayed by the fan. also the condensation will run down the back wall of the unit. After filling the drain hole with silicone lay another pound of beads in a mesh bag long the floor pushed up against the back wall to absorb any water that drips down from the fan. Most units also have a lock on the door creating a very air tight seal. I can leave my unit for months with no maintenence. Just set the digital thermometer , soak the beads and forget it. I have a large display digital hygrometer that I can see through the glass door. "Set it and forget it"~ was that Billy Mays or the Ronco guy?
    ~ Gerry Adams

The XL Plus is for larger humidors. Although they look the same the difference is in the way the air is routed through the unit.

I have the XL plus and the XL II. They work perfectly as long as you live in a fairly dry climate and you have zero faith in the accuracy of the humidity settings. I used a digital hydrometer to get an idea of where the unit should be set initially then made small adjustments over a couple of months until the cigars were just right for me. I haven't had to touch them in a couple of years, although the XL Plus has to be set at 71.5% to maintain about 65% RH.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    The XL Plus is for larger humidors. Although they look the same the difference is in the way the air is routed through the unit.

I have the XL plus and the XL II. They work perfectly as long as you live in a fairly dry climate and you have zero faith in the accuracy of the humidity settings. I used a digital hydrometer to get an idea of where the unit should be set initially then made small adjustments over a couple of months until the cigars were just right for me. I haven't had to touch them in a couple of years, although the XL Plus has to be set at 71.5% to maintain about 65% RH.
    That's weird. I took the foam out of my XL, and put 65% beads in it (and two more 1# bags elsewhere in the humi.) When everything's hunky dory, it sits there at about 66.8ish% (Which I figured was a calibration issue)

All my stuff smokes good.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

"Set it and forget it"~ was that Billy Mays or the Ronco guy?
    Ron Popeil said it. His daughter briefly dated a trader on the Chicago Merc to whom I used to lay-off option spreads.
    How's that for six degrees of... Kevin Bacon.

My difficulty, as regards humidity, is in keeping the RH low enough. I have a pound of 65% beads in a 3 cubic foot box and it still runs high on occasion. For instance, during yesterday's torrential downpour, that box went over 70%. Would a temperature controlled box solve that issue?

YES, I think it would. That is why I went Wine cooler to begin with. In New England there is such a huge swing in temps & humidity. Winters are bone dry and the summer can be humid as hell. temps that run single digits in the winter to 100 F in the summer. I just set the temp to 67 F( that is the hightest temp on the unit.) My digital Hygrometer reads between 64 F - 70 F consistantly year round, with the Rh between 63-67 . I have left to go home to Ireland and come back 6 weeks later with NO change in the Rh.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

YES, I think it would. That is why I went Wine cooler to begin with. In New England there is such a huge swing in temps & humidity. Winters are bone dry and the summer can be humid as hell. temps that run single digits in the winter to 100 F in the summer. I just set the temp to 67 F( that is the hightest temp on the unit.) My digital Hygrometer reads between 64 F - 70 F consistantly year round, with the Rh between 63-67 . I have left to go home to Ireland and come back 6 weeks later with NO change in the Rh.
    I want a wine cooler!
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

"smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

My issue is just with the one box. Maybe I need to modify the seal and tighten it up.
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    WOW- Thier stuff is spot on !!!!!
    I loved the humidors. If I hit the powerball. I'm on it.
    I guess my point was if you choose a wine cooler it should be for two reasons, Temp control and humidity. You don't need a big humidifier for a wine cooler that holds 28 bottles is only about 3ft tall x 18 inches wide x 1.5 ft deep. Not a ton of space.
    I wish you never posted that link- now my humidor is a piece of shit. Beads are fucking crap and I what THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Avallo Humidor
    ~ Gerry Adams

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post

Wow maby one day Ill own one of those.

Thread Information