Thread: Caveat Emptor

Default Caveat Emptor

Now besides cigars, I love Cuban cigar ashtrays. I have very nice RyJ 9x9 porcelain one I bought from a local B&M before Christmas. It is the genuine thing official box and all (not some flea market crap) I paid $24.99. In fact I was there today and he still has one more. I have seen a Trinidad one as well; same design and dimensions, and I suppose it was made at the same factory in The Republic of ClickClack-DingDong or where ever they make ashtrays now days. What gets me is, in cruising EBay some asswipe is trying to sell the very same ashtrays for $150.00 each. Along with the usual “Habanos S.A.” blah, blah. I get buying for $25.00 and selling for $50.00. Capitalism at its best, but a 500% mark-up. I just saw the Trinidad ashtray on bestcigarprices.com for $30.00. Again I ask you. How fucking stupid can people be?
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I don't know, it's dark and I hear laughter!
    Blog Entries

some asswipe is trying to sell the very same ashtrays for $150.00 each.
    PT Barnum once said "There's a sucker born every minute!"

Sad thing is somebody will probably buy that from him
    My! What a nice ash you have!

No matter where you go, there you are!

If you want a good chuckle take a look at some of the auctions on Cbid, and compare to the same thing on CI (they're the same company). Every once in a while some fool bids higher then the CI price on a lot.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Blog Entries

Yep paddy, that's one small example of the tens of thousands that can be found on fleaBay at any given time. Of course the owners of fleaBay have no desire or motivation to do anything about it because the more the "final value" is the more they make.

I'm becoming increasingly disgusted with fleaBay including it's sister scum site PayPal with the "fees" they rape people with.

Fortunately, most smart shoppers are savy enough to do google searches on what they want to buy and if they find the best deal on fleaBay then great BUT if some gouger is charging $150.00 for a $25.00 item, hopefully it won't sell.

Heck, we had a guy on the Pachinko site post one of his pachinko machines on Craig's List. He was asking $28,000.00 for a machine that was worth a couple of hundred bucks at best. Then he actually signed up on the site and justified his bull$hit with "Hey all I have to do is find the buyer who's willing to pay." I told him my $10,000.00 Jaguar was worth $306,000.00 and if he wanted to trade me his pachinko machine plus $280,000.00 we'd have a deal.

HERE'S THE LINK just for laughs.

Ah crap, his Craig's List posting expired but all you need to know is his price was $28,000.00. and he even explained that it was used but in very good condition, only played by his kids a few times, blah, blah....
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 01-17-2010 at 12:44 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Christ, I had to google" pachinko machine" I had never heard of it before. I'm stuck back in a 10 year time warp!
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Capitalism=charging whatever someone is dumb enough to pay. Not charge a fair price. And, hey, if someone is dumb enough to pay that much, why not charge it?

I think the perfect example of this is fashion. I look at what clothes cost that my wife buys and I go, a t-shirt is how much?!?!?! But, if women are dumb enough to pay it, why not charge it.
    Last edited by BigMacFU; 01-17-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Thread Information