Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Puro Pot Pass III

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Me too, I have been practicing for months.

-Buzz
    Looks like practice makes perfect, good job buzz!

Blog Entries

So, with EdgeMan (temporarily?) out of the pass, I'm up after Eville. And, as promised, you'll be able to make a sig tag for me. Go ahead and make it embarrassing - I don't care. Just make sure it's legal. I'm going to win, anyway, so all of this is a moot point........

For uniformity purposes, it would be cool if the style of the fonts and sizes were kept intact. I use a font called "Eight Track" for the title and the year, another font called "Pericles" for the country of origin, and another font called "Base 05" for the Winner/Loser title. "Eight Track" and "Base 05" are freely available at dafont.com - "Pericles" is a Windows font. If you want, I can e-mail this font to you.

For sizes, for vertical images, I've been going with sizes around 360px X 460 px. Horizontal tags are just opposite of that, but you know, they grow/shrink as the image allows. I do most of the work in PhotoShop.

I suppose, if you wanted me to, you could send me the photo you wanted, and I could make the tag myself......but I know that wouldn't be any fun. Let me know if you have any questions, and have fun at my expense!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Just got the pack a few minutes ago. The prize is at it's new, permanent home in my humidor along with the puro. I will likely knock this out later tonight if the weather holds out.

Edit: Almost forgot, mrtr33, I already have your puro and the new, 3-cigar prize pack boxed up and ready to go. Go ahead and PM me your addy and I will get that out first thing in the morning.
    Last edited by Eville; 05-17-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Smoking this puro now. A few things about it, nice solid feel, no major soft spots and smooth with only one vein that is noticeable. It measures 5x50 and has a Colorado shade wrapper. I couldn't discern much of a prelight taste. Upon lighting was an initial kick of black pepper followed by mellow woodsy and earthy notes. Right off the bat I am thinking Nicaraguan. Into the second third and the wood and pepper is coming out much more strongly than the earth. This one is strongly reminding me of a certain cigar I smoked about a month ago but just a little different. Could be due to the different size or the fact that I only let this one rest for about 8 hours after traveling. Back to the puro now into the final third. Wood notes are picking up even more, about the only thing that is coming through.

I am going to go with my initial guess and say that this was a Nicaraguan puro, and reminded me strongly of an Oliva Serie O I smoked about a month ago. If I'm right, I enjoyed this size more then the other one, so I might need to get some more. Thanks for the smoke, Buzz!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Smoking this puro now. A few things about it, nice solid feel, no major soft spots and smooth with only one vein that is noticeable. It measures 5x50 and has a Colorado shade wrapper. I couldn't discern much of a prelight taste. Upon lighting was an initial kick of black pepper followed by mellow woodsy and earthy notes. Right off the bat I am thinking Nicaraguan. Into the second third and the wood and pepper is coming out much more strongly than the earth. This one is strongly reminding me of a certain cigar I smoked about a month ago but just a little different. Could be due to the different size or the fact that I only let this one rest for about 8 hours after traveling. Back to the puro now into the final third. Wood notes are picking up even more, about the only thing that is coming through.

I am going to go with my initial guess and say that this was a Nicaraguan puro, and reminded me strongly of an Oliva Serie O I smoked about a month ago. If I'm right, I enjoyed this size more then the other one, so I might need to get some more. Thanks for the smoke, Buzz!
    Glad you enjoyed it bro, I too thought they tasted like an Oliva.. and was hoping that would fool you! That was a Joyas de Panama, 100% Panamanian, my friend. Dang that was mean of me choosing such an obscure stick, I feel really bad

For those interested, I have only found these cigars available from their website: www.joyasdepanamacigars.com (or you can buy them locally in Oregon). They only have 5 sizes and one wrapper shade, but in my newbie opinion they are worth checking out. If nothing else just to see what a cigar from Panama is like.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Sig tag sent.

Better luck next time. Those Panamanian smokes sound enticing, if they have subtleties of Nicaraguan cigars. Very interesting.

Please post your puts, and let us know when you ship out! I'm up next and I'm ready!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Oh that was cold, buzz! Still a great smoke though, I might have to pick up some more.

Puts:
    Cubao no. 4
    CAO Brazillia toro
    Camacho Corojo Monarca

If no one objects, I will ship out tomorrow.

Blog Entries

0309 1140 0000 7936 1288

Blog Entries

The pass has arrived - everything looks great. The prize pack is resting comfortably in a humidor. I'll get to the puro this weekend. I have a pretty good idea of the country of origin, however. I'm rather confident, so I'll probably smoke up the prize pack as well. Sure hope no one minds this presumption.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    The pass has arrived - everything looks great. The prize pack is resting comfortably in a humidor. I'll get to the puro this weekend. I have a pretty good idea of the country of origin, however. I'm rather confident, so I'll probably smoke up the prize pack as well. Sure hope no one minds this presumption.
    Who is making the sig tag?

Blog Entries

That is a good question. I have never used photoshop and don't have a copy of it, so probably not me. I can MS paint it if it comes don to it.

Blog Entries

I have photoshop, but no skills...

I would be willing to take a stab at it if no one else steps up - but I would need a hand finding an appropriate picture to use. Something tasteful, elegant, like mail man's was.

-Buzz

Blog Entries

I mean, if ya'll want to choose a picture, I'll make my own sig tag. I have no humility whatsoever.

I do think it would be cool if we could keep the same formatting, as explained in this post......

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Wanted to provide an update. Any and all opportunities to smoke the puro this past weekend were missed. Sorry. Tomorrow night has been earmarked as the next possible smoking date. I'll keep you posted.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

WRONG! The country of origin of that cigar wa... oh, nevermind. Just warming up.
    Last edited by Eville; 05-24-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: left out a couple of words.

Blog Entries

Awe, too bad Mark - better luck next time... sigtag sent...

Oh, oops... better wait till the results are "official".

-Buzz

Blog Entries

LMAO

Blog Entries

The suspense is killing me......

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Proposed Puts:

Oliva Serie O Robusto Maduro
    The Edge Missle
    Esteban Carrerras Dias Anos Toro Maduro

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

So, I smoked the puro.

Vitola: Churchill-ish - ~6.5" X ~48
    Drink: Abita Turbodog (2)
    Tunes: Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction; The Pixies - Death to the Pixies (bonus disc)

The cigar is firm when pinched, a light colored wrapper reveals no protruding veins. Smells indicate some mustiness, and a tad hint of leather and/or cedar. Requires one cut - medium draw. No pre-light tastes from the dry draw.

The first inch or so reveals no immediately definable tastes. I'm battling an uneven burn due to a horrid lighting job. The cigar straightens itself out, despite the fact that I'm smoking it rather rapidly. By the halfway mark, it's getting fuller in body and while the tastes are better, I can't put my finger on any discernible taste. Each draw now yields tremendous amounts of smoke. While the ash on the first part of the cigar knocked off rather easily, towards the middle and end the ash stays on a bit longer and stronger.

After about an hour and with less than an inch left, I put it down. It ended well, but didn't warrant nubbing. It was an enjoyable cigar - depending on the price point, I would consider picking a few of these up.

As far as the country of origin, here are my best guesses:

1. North Korea
    2. Canada
    3. Burkina Faso

Did I win? Did I win?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information