Thread: Great deals coming out of Canada

Default Great deals coming out of Canada

While surfing the web out of boredom. I stumbled across a website selling of all thing “Cuban Cigars” They seemed to have great deals. A box of 25 Montecristo No.2 was a mere $780.00 USD or you could buy a single for $35.00. Then I realized this retailer is located in Whistler, B.C. They must have slipped on the ice and smashed their heads.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Hey, when you have taxes like the Canadians do, that's probably a fair and cheap price.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    Hey, when you have taxes like the Canadians do, that's probably a fair and cheap price.
    I know the tax's are high in Canada but, Christ almost $800.00 USD ? That is highway robbery. With still no way of knowing if your getting the real deal or rolled ass cabbage.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I suppose if the day ever comes that America adopts socialized heath care, both alcohol and tobacco will be taxed another 500%. Hell, someone’s got to pay for it.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Short answer - the price is legit - but I call it the price for American tourists (if there are any coming - Intrawest just declared bankruptcy).

Just as some states have high taxes (Cali is 100% I believe), so do different provinces. BC is high. Mail-order is (essentially) illegal here, and tobacco can't (more-or-less) be shipped across provincial boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Short answer - the price is legit - but I call it the price for American tourists (if there are any coming - Intrawest just declared bankruptcy).

Just as some states have high taxes (Cali is 100% I believe), so do different provinces. BC is high. Mail-order is (essentially) illegal here, and tobacco can't (more-or-less) be shipped across provincial boundaries.
    Thank you, I get it. I just thought that was absurdly priced. I did not know taxes were that high. I believe the tax in Ma. is 30%
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

It is absurdly priced - but absurd is relative. I'd say a Padron 80th at about $100US a stick is more absurd :-0.

It is absurdly priced - but absurd is relative. I'd say a Padron 80th at about $100US a stick is more absurd :-0.
    $100 must be for the natural because you know the maduro would be $45 more.

I will not bitch about the SC tax again 7%
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

That 30% is not sales tax. That is an excise tax levied on tobacco on top of the 6.25% state sales tax in the great State of Massachusetts
    ~ Gerry Adams

Buncha whiners over a few shekels on a cigar...

I'd gladly pay the taxes if my state would just let me smoke somewhere.

Blog Entries

Default List of State Taxes on Tobacco Products

Check this link out:

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/resea...s/pdf/0169.pdf

I know, it's a anti-smoking site. Sorry. I believe the info is reliable. Sales tax is not really an issue.

Blog Entries

George, that's not how it works. The higher the taxes, the greater the restrictions!

We even have a law in Ontario that you can't smoke in your car if there are children in the car with you!

George, that's not how it works. The higher the taxes, the greater the restrictions!

We even have a law in Ontario that you can't smoke in your car if there are children in the car with you!
    Of course they would make the taxes higher if they heavily restrict - who's going to pay for enforcement???

Cigars have traditionally managed to stay pretty much under the radar with politicians in the US. I fear those days are rapidly coming to an end...

And here I click on this older thread in the hopes of actually seeing good deals in my home and native land.

Chris

Depressingly not... the high taxes (mainly targeted at cigarettes) have really adversely impacted cigar smoking in Ontario at least. Since my boys were born the only way I have managed to re-stock any cigars has been a couple friends going to Cuba. Before that I would buy boxes in the states and use my customs limit so I didn't have to pay taxes. It sucks.

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I know the tax's are high in Canada but, Christ almost $800.00 USD ? That is highway robbery. With still no way of knowing if your getting the real deal or rolled ass cabbage.
    Our wonderful gov't calls the taxes on booze and tobacco a "luxury tax". We call it a "sin tax". The absolute truth of the matter is, those substances are very addictive and if you're an addict you'll beg, borrow, or steal to support that addiction. They like to tout the additional medical costs but that's just plain old BS now matter which way you slice it. The difference between what the government takes in on these 'luxury taxes' as compared to what say, smoking, costs our medical care system is huge. With the large end being on the governments "profits" on the taxes. But, it does keep the non-smoker types happy so what can you do.

Right now, a 25 pack of cigarettes runs you around $12.00 just to give you an idea what we have to deal with. Don't ask me what booze costs though as I ain't touched a drop in 20+ years.

I found the aforementioned website while researching Cuban cigars. I have a friend who's taking his girlfriend to Cuba in April and he's agreed to bring back some cigars for my younger brother and I (thank you very much!). Anyhow, I was mostly looking over what I'd like to get and not really paying much attention to cost since I've smoked so few cigars at this point in my life I know very little about various brands, types etc etc (damn is there EVER a lot to learn about cigars......LOL) and I want to make some good choices on what to get him to bring back.

A coworker and fellow cigar smoker pointed me to the following website just this morning:

http://www.canadiancigar.com/

Which is a company located in Calgary, Alberta. Just to give you a quick idea. The Montecristo #2 the OP posted about are worth $732.50 for a box of 25 on that site, so it compares pretty much to the price of that store in Whistler, BC.

I noticed too that the site I linked has prices in USD too, go figure *shrug*

Anyhow, I'm sure hoping the prices are a LOT better in Cuba cause my lil'bro and I are both sending around $200.00 each with my friend. Now to make a list of choices.............
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Marty's Mix is pretty accurate for prices in Cuba, although it hasn't been updated in a while.

http://marty.514crew.com/cigarprices.html
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Buncha whiners over a few shekels on a cigar...

I'd gladly pay the taxes if my state would just let me smoke somewhere.
    I'd agree with this if I wasn't smoking in my upstairs now. I hate going out so it's no biggie for me anymore. Just moved on over to Iowa you can smoke at my place anytime George.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    Marty's Mix is pretty accurate for prices in Cuba, although it hasn't been updated in a while.

http://marty.514crew.com/cigarprices.html
    Awesome link, thanks tons!!!!

I bookmarked that one and am sending it to my brother. I have a friend going down to Cuba in April so this will come in VERY handy calculating what to get, and how many.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information