Thread: Wine cooler and a humidor?

1. Default Wine cooler and a humidor?

I am living in a trailor im renting untill I get established and buy a house. The trailor does not have central heat and air. So once summer hits my sticks could be exposed to hot temps, so I have to fix this before it happens. Ive read about people converting wine coolers to humidors. I was looking at an inexpencive thermoelectric wine cooler from walmart. Im thinking about buying it and removing the top shelf and sticking my 30ct humidor in it and up to 6 bottles of wine on the bottom rather than a full conversion. Humidity should not be much of an issure because its thermoeletric and the humidor should be perty well sealed up. Is this a feasiable fix to my situation with out spending 5 grand on a temprature controled humidor?

Also how cold can cigars be safely stored? And Ive hurd that the humidity must be adjusted to temprature so that the sticks retain the proper moisture is this true or should you just stick to the 65-75% range?

Thanks

I have used a wine refrigerator as a humidor for years. Make sure that the temp range is where you want it to be 66-67F. Some don't go that high. I store many boxes in mine and have great results. I also store my desktop humi in it come summer time. A lot of member here use the coolerdor method. Looking back, I would have gone the coolerdor way had I know about it instead of the wine fridge, thus saving myself $600.00 in equipment. Live and learn
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

3. Default

Cool thanks. I was thinking about the coolerdor but temprature is an issue, If I run this silly swamp cooler thing for the trailor all summer my powerbill will be so high that it would be cheaper to replace my cigar collection in the winter!! I retartedly bought a 300 ct humidor to go with my 30 ct before I thought about the temp issue. Ill probably put it away untill I move out to where Ive got no heat issue. Becides the cost of a good quality wine cooler how much would you estimate the conversion would cost, if I was to buy one to covert?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan54 View Post
    Cool thanks. I was thinking about the coolerdor but temprature is an issue, If I run this silly swamp cooler thing for the trailor all summer my powerbill will be so high that it would be cheaper to replace my cigar collection in the winter!! I retartedly bought a 300 ct humidor to go with my 30 ct before I thought about the temp issue. Ill probably put it away untill I move out to where Ive got no heat issue. Becides the cost of a good quality wine cooler how much would you estimate the conversion would cost, if I was to buy one to covert?
    The cost is relative. I bought a higher end one Vinotemp 32 bottle for $475.00. But you can buy smaller ones for around $200.00
    After the wine fridge purchase you really only need Beads. There is already a fan inside the unit. I have two pounds of 65% beads each in the 1lb mesh bags they sell on Heartfelt.com. I hang one right in front of the fan to block any stray condensation. Use oderless silicone to plug the drip hole & I have the other 1lb bag of beads on the floor of the unit pushes up agaist the back wall to absorb any condensation that drips down the back wall.Some people install more fans. I think the internal fan works fine. If you PM me I'll give you a site that will custom make Spanish Cedar shelves for about $18.00 each. I had them make me just the plain Spanish cedar shelves, but the also offer glass enclosed ones.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

By relative I ment what are you doing with the Wine cooler, Just storing your humidor? Then buy a small cheaper one. If you are box aging expensive sticks,then look for a top end model with extra room for your collection to grow.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

I'm no expert, but I think there may be a less expensive solution. Perhaps you can make a 'coolidor' and use 'blue ice' to maintain a reasonable temp. I think a few of our West Texas brethren use a similar technique. I know to a certainty that it works in Florida. When you're saving to buy a house, you need to pinch your pennies until it makes Abe squeal. Good luck.

Also, I respectfully suggest using the spelling and grammar tools. Most members of this board hold a fairly high standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    I'm no expert, but I think there may be a less expensive solution. Perhaps you can make a 'coolidor' and use 'blue ice' to maintain a reasonable temp. I think a few of our West Texas brethren use a similar technique. I know to a certainty that it works in Florida. When you're saving to buy a house, you need to pinch your pennies until it makes Abe squeal. Good luck.

Also, I respectfully suggest using the spelling and grammar tools. Most members of this board hold a fairly high standard.
    I agree, If you read my first post I admitted I wished I knew of the coolerdor before I purchased the wine/cigar money pit
    ~ Gerry Adams

thermoelectric is the way to go if you do the wine-a-dor. Buy some beads from heartfeltindustries for 65% or so, then even if the seal isn't perfect, the humidity will be.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

9. Default

If I was going to build a coolerador how would I keep it cool? I routenely come home in the brunt of the summer and its 95+ degrees inside my place. I would love to make one but I don't think its doable with the heat situation.

When I needed to do that with a cool-a-dor, I would take frozen veggie boxes and wrap them in newspaper and then stick them in the cooler for the day and rotate each day. The wine-a-dor will save you the worry of forgetting to do so (or you going away for a weekend) and is probably the best option given your current situation.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Hrmm, I know it is only partly on topic here, but I ran a swamp cooler for years in Arizona and the power bill was MUCH less then when I got AC. I think you might be surprised on that front, but take the time to clean up your pads and spider.. it might make your summer a little more comfortable.

That said.. I think the coolerador is probably the cheaper way to go and reliable. The only real bonus to the wine fridge is that the temps will be consistent even if you are not home for long periods of time. I am not sure how long those ice packs last if you are trying to keep a stable temp. The power for an extra fridge will be noticeable on your power bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
    Hrmm, I know it is only partly on topic here, but I ran a swamp cooler for years in Arizona and the power bill was MUCH less then when I got AC. I think you might be surprised on that front, but take the time to clean up your pads and spider.. it might make your summer a little more comfortable.

That said.. I think the coolerador is probably the cheaper way to go and reliable. The only real bonus to the wine fridge is that the temps will be consistent even if you are not home for long periods of time. I am not sure how long those ice packs last if you are trying to keep a stable temp. The power for an extra fridge will be noticeable on your power bill.
    The wine coolers are thermoelectric- no condenser. They won't use anywhere never the electric a normal fridge would. At most mine cost a couple bucks a month. My avarage electric bill went up maybe $3.50 to $4.50 a month. A far cry from running the Central Air that sky rockets my electric bill come summer
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    The wine coolers are thermoelectric- no condenser. They won't use anywhere never the electric a normal fridge would. At most mine cost a couple bucks a month. My avarage electric bill went up maybe $3.50 to $4.50 a month. A far cry from running the Central Air that sky rockets my electric bill come summer
    Ah, yes.. missed the whole "thermoelectric" portion of this discussion!

Keep your eye out: sometimes wine clubs add thermoelectrics as a promo (I just checked: WSJ wine club had one back in August), so for like a hundred bucks you get a (small) cigar cooler AND some wine (quality?).

I could not find any current promos. Closest thing is a sale on Avanti (and note the only review is a cigar guy):
    http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/...4/EWC16B.shtml

Too bad shipping is $35. Maybe Target or Kohls or place like that has 'em...

Now ya got me thinkin'...

New Haier 6-bottle thermo electric

$50 shipped

today only

http://deals.ebay.com/5000008420_Hai...le_Wine_Cellar

Quote Originally Posted by dajones View Post
    Keep your eye out: sometimes wine clubs add thermoelectrics as a promo (I just checked: WSJ wine club had one back in August), so for like a hundred bucks you get a (small) cigar cooler AND some wine (quality?).

I could not find any current promos. Closest thing is a sale on Avanti (and note the only review is a cigar guy):
    http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/...4/EWC16B.shtml

Too bad shipping is $35. Maybe Target or Kohls or place like that has 'em...

Now ya got me thinkin'...
    This model only has a high temp setting of 62F. Check some other models. You want one that has a temp of around 66-67 for the highest setting. Make sure you get all the spec's before buying. Avanti and Newair both have high temp ranges and digital thermostats. also consider size. a 6 or 18 bottle unit is fairly small in size. a 6 bottle may not even fit your humidor. I have a 36 bottle and have run out of room. I have seen Newair 28btl on Ebay for $199.00 w free S&H
    Last edited by Paddy; 02-06-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    ~ Gerry Adams

17. Default

I'm going to pick up this cooler tomorrow. I’m thinking about just using it for cigars rather than my original plan. I don't have time for shelves and stuff right now. I picked up a bunch of cigar boxes form the liquor store that sells cigars the perty much just gave them to me. I’m thinking about just filling up the cigar boxes and placing them in the humidor maybe removing the lids or propping them open. Would this be sufficient rather than going all out with the Spanish Cedar?

Blog Entries

Be careful of boxes that have been left in un-humidified conditions, they will suck the moisture out of any cigars you put in them.

You can season boxes just like you would a humidor, or for faster results, wipe them inside and out with a damp cloth and put them empty into your fridge for a few days to stabilize. (this is of course, assuming they are bare wood boxes and not paper covered).

Cedar is not necessary if you are storing boxes or singles in boxes.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    You can season boxes just like you would a humidor, or for faster results, wipe them inside and out with a damp cloth and put them empty into your fridge for a few days to stabilize. (this is of course, assuming they are bare wood boxes and not paper covered).
    That's a great idea man. Never thought of putting them in the fridge after wiping them down.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Thread Information