Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009

Blog Entries

Default 2009

Was a good year, imo, for Cigarsmokers.com. We added several quality, participating members and had a few, uh, interesting characters stop by and give us some entertainment.

Since we added so many quality members, let's have a little contest only for them.

Participation Rules:
    Must have joined in 2009
    Must have at least 50 posts
    One entry per participant.
    Must have posted on the board within the last month, as of today, January 25, 2010 (my father's birthday btw).

Contest:
    Give us a little run down on your experiences here at Csmokers, a kind of "Best of" for 2009. Things you have learned, people you have met, cigars you have smoked. Entries in the form of Haikus will be immediately disqualified, other than that, it's pretty
    much wide open.

Contest will close on January 31, 2010 at midnight CST, and I'll choose the entry that I enjoy the most. Winner will receive a selection of smokes from my cooler.

2. Default

Well, I joined fairly late in the year, but have already learned and applied a lot. I purchased and seasoned my first humidor in October, thanks to the guidance and information provided here. I've also greatly broadened my taste for different cigars, and plan to participate in a newbie sampler in the next month or so. Plans for a coolerdor got put on hold when business picked up, but hopefully I'll get to do that soon as well. All in all I've benefited a lot from joining this community, and enjoyed watching a few people crash and burn in the process! So far, I've followed the "read more, post less" rule, but as I learn and gain experience I will contribute more to the board. Thanks to all the main contributors, FOG's, BOTL's, etc. for making this a very beneficial and welcoming community of good honest guys (and gals )
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

I don't know, it's dark and I hear laughter!
    Blog Entries

I've never been very good at writing out things like this but here goes nothing. After getting my first humidor, back in Nov., I started searching for all links "cigar". I found quite a few of course, several also having forums. I signed up for virtually all of them, and having lurked about for a bit, settled on here. I've never even posted on any of the other boards, I just like it here better. I'm not a newbie to forum boards in general, just new to this board. So after reading and searching about for awhile, I posted an introduction. See told ya, not my first rodeo . Everybody was very welcoming and I've strived to mix in and not be an azzhat and incur the wrath of the FOG's.

There is a wealth of information on here, from setting up coolerdors to fantastic reviews to just about any question you may have. And after searching if you have not found the answer, somebody will steer you right. I also like the cigar contests, we have some very imaginable minds here. I haven't met anyone from the board in person yet, but I have had some entertaining PM's & chat room visits with several of the BOTL. I have done a couple of trades, and I'm in the process of a couple more. As I said once before in a post, I'm here for the duration, and plan on being around until I'm a FOG.

Fred
    My! What a nice ash you have!

No matter where you go, there you are!

I don't know, it's dark and I hear laughter!
    Blog Entries

Default This one don't count

Oh btw, Happy B-Day to your dad
    My! What a nice ash you have!

No matter where you go, there you are!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the contest Jamie!

I checked out about 5 or 6 cigar forum sites and am so glad I went with cigarsmokers.com. This site stands out from the others in that it doesn't put up with the typical annoyances experienced everywhere else on the Internet. I love how the site is member-moderated; the ban polls are genius. I like how people are not just simply given answers but told to search for them first, to make an effort - and how poor spelling/grammar are frowned upon here.

I've learned a lot about the hobby in just the last couple months, almost completely due to this website. Lopaka's humidor guide is solid gold, and I'll be putting BWA's instructions to use when I set up my coolidor. I've learned how to store a cigar, how to cut it, how to light it, how to keep it burning evenly, how to purge it, how to ash it, and most importantly, how to enjoy it. Mangyrat tot me how to use the spell-check, and Paddy showed me how to correctly quote someone. Crazy Frank (who I think is locked up now), taught me to always check the date of the post before I reply to it. A whole bunch of now-banned users taught me the value of reading more, and posting less. And my good friends at the USPS taught me to use at least 5 pounds of bubble wrap to ship a glass container, especially when it is full of delicious amber liquid.

I've enjoyed many great cigars since I started the hobby; here are a few of my favorites:
    A Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, which was my first "official" cigar. I had many other cigars in the past, but never paid attention to the brand, or the taste. A Camacho Triple Maduro; after I had a wicked bad day, this puppy perked me right up. The RP 1961; my wife got for me to celebrate being done with the studying for the FPE exam. A RASS, which was my first "official" ISOM. I had been given cubans before, but who knows (I didn't) if they were real or not. And coming up, a RP Decade, which I will be smoking as my celebration cigar for passing the FPE.

In addition to the wealth of information I have found on this site, there are many humorous posts I feel are worthy of putting into my top 9 quotes of 2009 list...
    9. "Are you joking when saying that? I can't tell - it's the internet." -Fark
    8. "You bastards done went an' ran him off before I ever got an answer to my cat question." -CoventryCat86
    7. "Happy Birthday Six Pack!!! (and then the red-faced double-bird smiley) -cigarsarge
    6. "Don't flinch Buzz. Ash can smell your fear." -logan37
    5. "I don't want no pictures of douchnozzles!" -Shelby07
    4. "Just run everything threw a spell checker." -Mangyrat
    3. "Pointless? I dunno, seems to be a lesson in here somewhere." -ashauler
    2. "I like the cigar shaped ones, in my mouth, burning at the opposite end. Those are my favorites." -badwhale
    1. "Isn't that when a dog "farts" and "barks" at the same time?" -Roger

I've "met" a bunch of really great individuals on this website - I hope to herf with you guys in person in the coming years.

This community
    Where we smoke cigars and laugh
    Is an awesome place

ohh fark... I guess I even learned how to break the contest rules from da "socket wrench" jones

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Thanks for the contest Jamie!

ohh fark... I guess I even learned how to break the contest rules from da "socket wrench" jones

-Buzz
    Awww... Buzz you are SO sweet!

Blog Entries

Well buzz, it wasn't completely in the form of a Haiku, it just contained one. This technicality gets you a pass on being disqualified. I'll let you guess what it did to your chance of winning though.

Not many days left to get your entries in...... http://www.cigarsmokers.com/memberli...ore=2009-12-31
    Last edited by ashauler; 01-27-2010 at 11:38 AM.

I feel blessed to have stumped upon this forum. This may sound really queer, but for the first time in my adult life I’m out of work, and this forum had given me something to look forward to every day. I have met some very nice people here and gotten some very good advice. The worst thing about being laid off is the boredom. I live in a very small town and know no one. My wife is a work all day and I just sit home. This forum has given me a life line to some very real people. I have been in the USA for 10 yrs, but the first 4 yrs I was “undocumented” so I kept a very low profile and kept to myself. Thus never really making any acquaintances. My life was my work and when that was gone, I plummeted. I just want to thank you all.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Thanks very much for the contest!

It is a funny thing how a person rediscovers things. I thought for a moment about how I got involved with Cigarsmokers.com, and decided it is really all the fault of one person, well... maybe two. In the first place it was the fault of my friend and collegue "John". After quite the long break from smoking anything related to tobacco I found myself enjoying smoking again. Not pipes, not cigarettes, but cigars. Remembering back to my only experience with cigars, like the swisher sweets I used to smoke I got turned off from smoking them all together. I would have never guessed that I would enjoy smoking cigars. In the second place, It is my fault for getting connected to Cigarsmokers.com, but I am obviously very happy about that. Guess how I found it? I typed into my computer browser "Free Cigars". I laugh at the thought that I actually did that. When you don't have alot of cash to spare, and take up a fairly expensive hobby, what is a person to do? But let's face it it was a wonderful board to find.

It is especially a wonderful thing because of where I live. 3 hours from any major town, one smokeshop in town with about 10-15 cigar selections, and no real friends to smoke with or converse about my new found hobby. That is where a board like Cigarsmokers.com is very helpful. Those whom I see that I smoke with I only see 2 or 4 times a year. And that's not much support no matter how you cut it! But with the great members of this board... I have much to be thankful for in the way of freindship and having someone to share my passion with.

I was no different than any other newbie, I made the mistake of posting a question before making an into. I look back and cringe at the thought of doing that. But the members made it very clear that I needed to post an intro first. An intro I did, but it took me a while to learn that I needed to "use the search" button. Let's face it, there is a learning curve for understanding how to keep cigars and smoke them. But despite that fact it has been much fun.

I did not expect to find the generousity that I had found on Cigarsmokers.com either. To my due surprise I have been "bombed" several times, and I have also recipricated a few. The first one was DeeDubya, and it was a monster of a bomb too. It feels weird that he no longer is a part of the board. But like always, people come and go and that's ok. I have to admit that I imeediately got hooked on the style of "badwhale's" reviews. It is always appreciated to see pics and have comments on what a person's "opinion" is on a particular cigar. I have done very few so far in the ways of reviews, but then again I don't smoke as often as I would like either.

Thanks to Cigarsmokers.com I have been helped and guided on building a coolidore. It is a great way to store cigars. And the slippery slope of collecting them and wanting the cooler full (for the sake of selection, and for buffering humidity) makes it particularly facinating. Quite frankly it is like having a pet and watering and caring for one. Except of course in the area of picking up the shit it leaves around the house... My coolidore is about half full, and that is MUCH more that I ever figured that I would have.

I really enjoy the antics of people on this board. From the "Alphashiits" to dealling with all the douchnozzles, and scumbaggery I can safely say it has been hilarious thus far. Not to mention that I have increased my knowledge and scope of unusual language. Fark it anyway! LOL. What fun it is when someone get's so bent out of shape that only thing they can think about is what they "want" and don't consider the relationship aspect of this board. In those situations where everyone, for the most part, slams the person for being such a dumbass, I have to laugh!

Finally I want to say that this is the first and only cigarboard I have been involved with. Oh in curiosity I have looked at some of the ones mentioned by members here. But I have not felt that it was worth it or entertaining enough to try and be a part of a different one. I think that says alot about Cigarsmokers.com. Boar fidelity does not mean that much, since many of you have connections to other boards. But as for me, this is the one board I plan on staying with. Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

To sum up my experiences and what i have learned on this forum.
    always inclued a or a in every post.

On a serious note my experiences with this forum have be very positive.
    You don't find many forums that have the ability to self police like this one with out the need of moderators steeping in.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-27-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Ashauler,
    Sorry I just realized I joined in 2010. Just kick me in the ass!
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Ashauler,
    Sorry I just realized I joined in 2010. Just kick me in the ass!
    O.K. , no problem dajo...err Paddy.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    O.K. , no problem dajo...err Paddy.
    Trust me: I have no need to clone myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    <snip>

Contest:
    Give us a little run down on your experiences here at Csmokers, a kind of "Best of" for 2009. Things you have learned, people you have met, cigars you have smoked. Entries in the form of Haikus will be immediately disqualified, other than that, it's pretty
    much wide open.

Contest will close on January 31, 2010 at midnight CST, and I'll choose the entry that I enjoy the most. Winner will receive a selection of smokes from my cooler.
    Thanks for yet another contest Jamie!

Let's see...Things I've learned:

1) My Oasis XL wasn't broken.
    2) Some Consuergras are pretty GD good, others may "lick balls"
    3) If I sit on chat long enough, someone will join me.

People I've met:
    irish79, factoredreality, & Smoked! if we're strictly speaking in person. Lots of you guys & gals I feel we could walk right into a real life meeting, and pick up like long friends. I can add to this list after the herf coming up in Feb.

Cigars or Cigar brands I've smoked (that were new to me since I joined. I'll try to list them from memory, but seriously, this board has really, REALLY, brought me out of the cigar doldrums I was in):
    Anejo, Oliva, AVO, Camacho, LFD, Famous Nic 3000s, Opus X, Padron (yeah, belive it or not, I never had a Padron prior to this board), ISOM, Tatuaje, Don Tutos, Cerberus, Taboo, Pirate's Gold, Hemmingways, Man O War. I'm sure I'm missing something, and I hope I didn't slight anyone that sent me something cool in a trade or a bomb.

A lefthand thanks to the douchecranks that join the board and give us some good entertainment while they meltdown.

Thanks to everyone who's made me feel at home, and that's what it is for me. An extension of good friends who happen to like to smoke cigars.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Thanks for doing this Jamie!

There is so much to say about my newfound hobby in smoking cigars. I started off smoking about 2 per year on social events without really knowing what I was smoking or how to properly smoke them for that matter. It wasn't until my wedding day that my father brought 3 boxes of cigars to the reception (one for his table, one for my father-in-law's table, and one for me and my friends). Of course, these were really good cigars that he brought straight from Honduras so I only gave them to my closest friends. Turns out I kept about 10 of those which led me to the idea of getting a humidor for safekeeping.(I promised myself to keep these cigars and smoke one on each anniversary.) That is how I got to CS.com while doing some research online.

After checking out the board for some time, I decided to create an account and join since I very much enjoy forum discussions. I am also part of another forum for my other hobby, scubadiving, and I have met some really wonderful people there. I am sure my involvement here will have the same results.

My cigar stash grew from 10 cigars to about 200 and now includes a 2nd humidor (which is about to burst as well). This is the result of the kindness of members of this board like :slcraiders, ashauler, mangyrat, memphisfred, edgeman, mailman, roger, buzz, etc. Each having their own little story: i.e. my wife hates ashauler cause he sent me an atomic bomb and I blame him for spending more time in my garage, slcraiders was extremely generous in the newbie sampler he sent me, mangyrat sent me some sticks I had been craving for a long time, memphisfred allowed me to try some cigars we suckered him into buying , mailman just wins contests and takes everyones sticks....lol..., roger sent me some sweet cigars for FREE, and edgeman and I are doing a boxsplit on some gurkhas. Buzz and I are also working on a box split of Nica Libres and he always adds entertainment to the discussions.

Things to look forward to:
    -Feb. 5 2010 - I get to meet (personally) a fellow BOTL from this board, Edgeman while we Herf it up in Austin.
    -Online chat sessions, planned or random, with several members here. Especially when we are having a conversation and somebody barges in asking why the place smells like sex...you know who you are, you are prone to suffer from SPS "Sleepy Pussy Syndrome" Shit, that might be my next contest, "Who can guess which BOTL suffers from SPS??" I gotta plan that one out soon
    -Puro Pot Pass III. I have been training like a champ eventhough I guess I am bound to lose since Ashauler gets to send me a naked puro. Knowing you, you'd probably send me some kind of Sweedish Acid tasting blend you bastid!
    -Badwhale's reviews. Always very informative and educational. Thanks for this brother, it really helps me out at picking cigars.
    -The meltdowns...ahh the meltdowns...these make me appreciate the fact that I was blessed with a sense of logic and respect. I do get a kick out of them, I believe they add flare and avoid monotony.

Why I like CS aside from other cigar forums:
    Aside from the fact of sharing a common interest in a specific hobby, I have to say that what really impresses me the most is the true sense of community I feel when I log on and post/chat with other members of the board. Badwhale said it right in his post about people in this board are considered your true friends and even if you have not met them in person, if you did, you could carry on like if you had known them for years. Thats very true man. But I have seen how everyone reacts to specific circumstances that for better or worse happen to other members i.e sickness in the family, family member passing away, prayers being sent, purchase of a new home, baby being born, passing exams, etc. That indeed means a lot to me and its one of the main reasons I have chosen to stay. A sense of family and belonging thanks to all you knuckleheads!

Thanks again Jamie for doing this.

Nelson

Blog Entries

Good stuff.

Blog Entries

Default funkcold5 (not an entry)

Someone reminded me that I met funkycold5 in person too. Sorry I skipped you Andrew!

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Alright, the contest is now closed. Thanks to all the entrants, I enjoyed reading them all, so much so that my decision will be a tough one. Maybe I won't even announce the winner and just launch the prize package.....keep some suspense going and all.

Blog Entries

I've run into some issues that will keep me from getting the prize out until next week.

20. Default

Ooooh yet another suspense builder...lol!
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

Thread Information