Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all pipe smokers… more taxes.

Blog Entries

Default Calling all pipe smokers… more taxes.

OK. Enough already!

Today, I was casually searching for a cigar brand description and ran across the following notice on JR’s site (I’m not plugging a cigar site. This is a well-known online retailer and they are commonly referred to on our Forum.):

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=pipetax

This Bill was mentioned on a few other sites and by a couple government watchdog groups… whatever that means. I had no idea the bill was already referred to the Ways and Means Committee. If this bill makes it out of committee in current form and becomes law, pipe smokers will be in a world of hurt.

I know that retailers and anti-tax groups tend to sensationalize and overstate the potential impact of new tax law, but it may be worth your time to look this over. You can do a little research on H.R. 4439, and decide for yourself. There is plenty of information and many an opinion out there for your consideration.

Maybe a quick note to your Congressman would be a good idea.

<sigh> Fokkers!

The came for the ciggies; they came for the stogies... now they're after the pipers:

House Resolution (HR) 4439, introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives, proposes an egregious increase to the pipe tobacco tax! HR4439 proposes an increase from the current tax rate of $2.83 per pound to $24.78 per pound--the same rate as RYO tobacco. The percentage increase = 775%!

H.R. 4439 would amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to impose the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is imposed on roll-your-own tobacco. This is proposed because RYO sellers have relabeled their product as pipe tobacco to avoid the high rate of taxation.

The hypocrisy is astounding, since you can be sure that Congress is puffing it up in the back room. Also: wasn't Obama going to lift the Cuban embargo?

Blog Entries

This newt will NOT get better!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

damn %$#%%3@$#&%&(*&%^ sons a B^%*^%$
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Just what I always wanted!

Default Fucking Government

How long before they do this to cigars ????

PACT Act
    THE SITUATION: Right now there is legislation pending in the United States Senate - the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 (“PACT Act”) (S.1147) which contains, among other bad ideas, a provision to make ALL cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products nonmailable. This legislation has already been passed by the House of Representatives and has PASSED the Senate Judiciary Committee on November 19th 2009. Please call 1-800-828-0498 to contact your Senators office now and tell them to VOTE NO on the PACT Act.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    How long before they do this to cigars ????

PACT Act
    THE SITUATION: Right now there is legislation pending in the United States Senate - the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 (“PACT Act”) (S.1147) which contains, among other bad ideas, a provision to make ALL cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products nonmailable. This legislation has already been passed by the House of Representatives and has PASSED the Senate Judiciary Committee on November 19th 2009. Please call 1-800-828-0498 to contact your Senators office now and tell them to VOTE NO on the PACT Act.
    We already got a notice that cigarettes and chew are not to be mailed...no way, no how.
    We got this notice down about a month ago...put the reservations in a hurt.

Keith

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    We already got a notice that cigarettes and chew are not to be mailed...no way, no how.
    We got this notice down about a month ago...put the reservations in a hurt.

Keith
    The reservation I order from is still doing it. I placed a cigarette order Monday
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

According to a goverment website, the act has passed committee, but has not gone before the entire senate for a vote, So it should still be legal to mail ciggs, Correct? The web site info was dated as of today Feb 3rd
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-1147
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

This is just a way to be certain that you buy locally and pay the tax to support the S-CHIP boondoggle. A-holes.
    I'm getting tired of this. I just may pack up and move to a free country. Anybody know of one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    This is just a way to be certain that you buy locally and pay the tax to support the S-CHIP boondoggle. A-holes.
    I'm getting tired of this. I just may pack up and move to a free country. Anybody know of one?
    LMAO!!!
    Shit I moved here thinking I was doing the right thing....FARK!!!

Don't get me wrong, there is no other country I would rather live in.

There are plenty non USA based companies in Europe or Asia to buy from. As with ISOM's Foreign companies could care less about american laws. They just lie on the custom forms. I know of one in the Ukraine I have used, cheap as hell but they will only ship one carton at a time. ie. Marlboro $8.25 a carton + $6.50 S&H. Still a great deal, but you have to go through the bullshit of placing 5 or 6 orders to get enough to last a month.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    According to a goverment website, the act has passed committee, but has not gone before the entire senate for a vote, So it should still be legal to mail ciggs, Correct? The web site info was dated as of today Feb 3rd
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-1147
    The law isn't passed yet, but Postal policy now dictates that no cigarettes are to be mailed, no matter the quantity.

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    LMAO!!!
    Shit I moved here thinking I was doing the right thing....FARK!!!

Don't get me wrong, there is no other country I would rather live in.
    You live in the best country on Earth. I'm just pissed about the nanny-stater's running everything.
    I'm not going anywhere... except to Texas, maybe.

Blog Entries

You live in the best country on Earth. I'm just pissed about the nanny-stater's running everything.
    I'm not going anywhere... except to Texas, maybe.
    You are welcome in Texas Brother!!!

Blog Entries

Only 2 things come from Texas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Only 2 things come from Texas
    Be careful. You may wind up with a sig tag like mailman's.

Blog Entries

Haha! I am sure I will get one anyways, just a matter of days now.

What the fark?!?!

Nanny state indeed. Congress seems to forget that banning the shipment of tobacco products like cigarettes and smokeless tobacco they're biting the hand that feeds S-CHIP.

Watch out, the next thing you know forks, knives, and spoons will be outlawed because its the main reason for obesity.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    What the fark?!?!

Nanny state indeed. Congress seems to forget that banning the shipment of tobacco products like cigarettes and smokeless tobacco they're biting the hand that feeds S-CHIP.

Watch out, the next thing you know forks, knives, and spoons will be outlawed because its the main reason for obesity.
    Don't give em any more ideas!
    Just another day at the office!

Thread Information