Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrian's Connecticut Shade Torpedo

Blog Entries

Default Adrian's Connecticut Shade Torpedo

Adrian's Connecticut Torpedo

First of all Nelson(ndv21) and I had the opportunity to meet the owner of "Adrian's", Michael Rosales. He is personable and not pushy(like a sales rep) at all with his products. Michael was kind enough to give Nelson and I a few smokes to try out. They speak for themselves. Period. He has three lines of smokes. As mentioned in the title we will be looking at the Connecticut Shade. The following day I had to go back and purchase several more. A box of each blend will be next on my wish list.
    Let's get on with the review.

Ecuadorian wrapper
    Costa Rican Binder and Filler

Sweet wood, and slightly musky pre-light smell.. The pre-light taste is nutty and slightly sweet.

ndv21, Michael and myself enjoying the Adrian maduro line at Austin HERF #1

We broke in another to the world of Cigars. A friend of Nelson, Jose came along to the HERF and was a virgin until his first cigar, an Adrian Connecticut Shade.

The construction is great on these hand rolled beauties.. The Connecticut Shade grown wrapper looks luscious. The draw is perfect, a medium draw not too light or hard. Toasted the foot. I really cannot identify these flavors right away. I definitely taste the Connecticut wrapper. It is tasting really good with my coffee, seems like it is going to be a really good morning cigar. I want to say a slight cedar and nutty profile at the beginning. A TAD spicy on a nose exhale only but I do not know what kind of spice it is very mild. Wow this could easily become my staple morning smoke. The smoke is light and airy. It is a beautiful cigar, gorgeous construction. It has that classic old time cigar look, like a cigar you think Archie Bunker would smoke. I think I taste vanilla in here. Oh wow something just hit me hard, four or five hits into it. The flavor just changed. Oh wow leaving a little tingle on my tongue, and the roof of my mouth.

Jumping on my palette, but not too hard. Now mild creeping towards medium just a little. It leaves this feeling in your mouth that is really enjoyable. I taste nuts in here and cedar, mostly oak and nutty. The ash is hanging on good. Oh there is that tingle on my tongue again, I just love that. I am drinking a taste of Austin coffee, and having an oatmeal and raisin cookie that my wonderful fiance made for me last night. Oh did I mention I love Bailey's in my coffee? Going really good with this cigar. The nose exhale is very nutty. The ash hung on for an inch and a half. The next nose hale was a little spicy.

I am starting the second third of the cigar. The taste is fresh and airy. The third nose exhale was woody three hits in a row it changed at the beginning of the second third. Light creaminess. It just turned to buttery toast. That was really awesome. Just putting the cigar between my teeth but not taking a draw I can really taste the nuttiness. I taste cashew, that is what I taste with no salt in the second third. Cashew, woody, and just a HINT of spice. On a side note this new Geico commercial is cracking me up. What does that have to do with a cigar review? Well, I have a certain style when I review cigars and I stick to it. I think out loud and just type what I am thinking and tasting. I may comment on my surroundings and of course what I am having to eat or drink.

Boy this cigar is kick. It is so mellow, and changes, but it keeps the nuttiness and woodsy flavor all the way through. I just took a hit approaching the end of the second third that was like a piece of freshly split oak fire wood with just the right amount of spice, and the nuttiness continues through this whole smoke. I am almost to the end of the second third. Oh wow light, airy, woody, heavy nut, this is so tasty. And this Bailey's is nothing to sneeze at. I want some more of these. Any cigar smoker would appreciate this cigar, if not they need their head examined. The acid(only present in nose exhales) is slightly more now, getting stronger now. It has a Creamy buttery flavor jumping into the mix, the ash hangs on real well, just a smooth medium gray ash. Boy there is that cedar again, that hit right there was woodsy. That tingle on my tongue, is real good, starting to get more acidic(in the nose exhales only). The draw is excellent. This is really an exquisite smoke.

Just beginning the third third. The strength has definitely built, but it is still not to strong for the morning at all and is going perfect with this coffee. Wow woodsy nutty and ever so slightly acidic on the nose exhale, but it also has the kick of that Connecticut wrapper. This Connecticut shade wrapper is just luscious. Cedar cedar cedar. with some nuts thrown in now. I am having to touch it up but that is because I am smoking too fast. I need to work at slowing down. Mostly a cedar taste with a little oak. The wood has become predominant in the third third. It is a complex cigar but it keeps the same basic profile throughout. The nuances and background notes keep changing every couple of hits. The burn has been wonderful, and only one touch up and that was my fault for smoking too fast. Anna what is this flavor on this nose exhale? Caramel sweet, but not too sweet, just enough. The finish is great. Did you taste the wood? What did you taste? Did you taste what I have been explaining? Isn't it creamy? "Very creamy. I tasted wood, wood, and more wood and the Carmel, but no hint of spiciness for me." A solid four and a half stars. I think four and a half stars is very gracious, five stars, would mean you found the ultimate smoke and would never have to look again, I think giving a cigar five stars is unrealistic because we are always in search of the five star perfect smoke, that is why we keep smoking them. I am at the finish now and more of the same.

The conclusion is this is the perfect morning smoke on an empty stomach or after breakfast with your morning coffee. This has a place in my humidor for sure. If you like a Connecticut shade wrap, you are going to be floating on a cloud. If you like a mild smoke any time of day then this is a smoke for you. One damn fine smoke.

See ya next time,
    The Freehand Grammar Destroying Amateur Reviewer
    Last edited by EdgeMan; 02-09-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typos, thanks to ndv21 for the hand shot pic idea.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

So would you recommend this as a morning smoke?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    So would you recommend this as a morning smoke?
    I certainly would you wild man!
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review. I love that Geico commercial too.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Great review - would this be good to smoke in the morning?

-Buzz
    Last edited by buzz; 02-08-2010 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Nice review Donald, one question though...was there any nutty flavoring in there???

Keith

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

The words "morning" and "wood" appear all too often in your review...

Maybe there's other business to attend to before you light up?

Nice job, my friend!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    Nice review Donald, one question though...was there any nutty flavoring in there???

Keith
    You know how I roll, I say it as I smoke it! =) Just a little nutty and woodsy flavor in there.
    I had another this morning. I can tell you this, you want to try these Adrian's, any blend. They are all great.
    Tap ndv21 on the shoulder and ask him. These smokes are excellent. I want a box of each of the three blends to start filling up this new humidor.
    Last edited by EdgeMan; 02-08-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Great Review. The Connecticut Shade grown is right up my alley.
    I think I need to hunt down a few of them.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Side note:

Do not look for these cigars by the name of Ambassador as depicted on EdgeMan's picture. They are the same cigar as Adrian's but the Ambassador is a private label that they do only for Heroes & Legacies. You will find them as Adrian's everywhere else. Since they are fairly new, most people will not find them at their local B&M but you can order online or over the phone at some of the stores. Here is their website and you can find a list of B&M that carry the line.

http://smokeadrians.com/home

They are in fact a very good smoke. I thouroughly enjoyed the 2 I had on friday and brought back about 3 more. Just an update, I emailed Michael, the brand owner, thanking him for the smokes and the great time we had in Austin. He emailed me back this morning telling me he will be in San Antonio at a local B&M delivering some cigars and invited me out for a smoke. This guy is quality.

By no means am I affiliated with him or his cigars in any way other than the fact that I like to smoke them! Give it a shot and you be the judge

Blog Entries

Side note:

Do not look for these cigars by the name of Ambassador as depicted on EdgeMan's picture. They are the same cigar as Adrian's but the Ambassador is a private label that they do only for Heroes & Legacies. You will find them as Adrian's everywhere else. Since they are fairly new, most people will not find them at their local B&M but you can order online or over the phone at some of the stores. Here is their website and you can find a list of B&M that carry the line.

They are in fact a very good smoke. I thouroughly enjoyed the 2 I had on friday and brought back about 3 more. Just an update, I emailed Michael, the brand owner, thanking him for the smokes and the great time we had in Austin. He emailed me back this morning telling me he will be in San Antonio at a local B&M delivering some cigars and invited me out for a smoke. This guy is quality.

By no means am I affiliated with him or his cigars in any way other than the fact that I like to smoke them! Give it a shot and you be the judge
    Thanks for clarifying the labeling Nelson. I agree, Michael is a class act with some smokes that we will be hearing more and more about I am sure.

Donald
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post

Keith
    HAHAhaha ... Your sig tag isn't big enough Keith!
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Side note:

Thank you for the clarification. If edgeman's review holds true, this is exactly the type of cigar I am constantly on the look out for.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Thank you for the clarification. If edgeman's review holds true, this is exactly the type of cigar I am constantly on the look out for.
    Paddy,

Send me your addy and I will send you this smoke for you to try it out. It's easier for me to get more here since there is a store that carries them in my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeMan View Post
    HAHAhaha ... Your sig tag isn't big enough Keith!
    Just wait till you play...even if you guess right, you still get a sig tag...muhahaha.

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Nice review Donald, thanks.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    The words "morning" and "wood" appear all too often in your review...

Maybe there's other business to attend to before you light up?

Nice job, my friend!
    Thanks bigwhiteash(DENNIS) I guess I better take care of some other business! hahahaaa
    Last edited by EdgeMan; 02-08-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: i am in a fog
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeMan View Post
    Thanks Jamie. I guess I better take care of some other business! hahahaaa
    lol You start talking about taking care of business and think of Jamie? Dennis is BWA lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish79 View Post
    lol You start talking about taking care of business and think of Jamie? Dennis is BWA lol
    I am in a fog. Give me a break!@! Too much whiskey yesterday before, during and after the game and I wish I would not have touched the beer afterwards.
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Edge - I appreciate your work and enthusiasm for cigars and pipes. Um, the style, though... I feel like I'm reading Billy Bathgate. Nice work on the descriptions though, and the pictures are great!

Mailman,
    I respectfully request that you not post for the next 30 days.

Thanks,
    Smoked!

Thread Information