Thread: cigar boxes open or closed?

1. Default cigar boxes open or closed?

When storing cigars in cigarboxes inside a humidor of some kind do you need to prop open the lids or can you leave them closed?

Prop them open ..... better to be safe than sorry.

Blog Entries

It's really not necessary unless you're trying to drastically change the moisture content of your cigars.

If you have room, and want to keep them open for easy access, that's OK, but it will not change anything with cigars that have been stored properly. (Think of how that box was when you received it!)
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Open, if you want to look at your cigars.

The only cigars I've ever gotten that were ready to go out of the box when I opened them were the Sancho Panza Double Maduro. So far I've ordered 5 boxes, and all 5 boxes were ready to be smoked.

The Rocky Patel I-Press box I ordered was too moist to smoke right out of the box, and it took about a week for them to come down in humidity. Everything else I've ordered needed some time in the humidor for optimal smoking pleasure.

I have yet to find a cigar box that is air tight so i don't see how it would effect them one way or the other.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

No need to prop them open, leave 'em closed.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

8. Default

Thanks

It seems to me that there might be an advantage to keeping them closed. I think that doing so minimizes fluctuations in humidity and even temperature somewhat which can be more detrimental than high or low humidity. Keep the closed box in a proper environment for a minimum of 30 days and they will slowly stabilize to where they should be, which to me is much better for them than quickly getting to the desired humidity. Once there you have a kind of mini environment inside the box that won't react as quickly to outside changes that occur when you open and close your humidor.

JMHO that seems to work very well for me.

Thread Information