Thread: How the hell do I do this?

Blog Entries

Default How the hell do I do this?

Ok, newbie alert.

I've recently got into smoking a pipe...a little....anyway, what's everyone's procedure for loading up a bowl and smoking it?

This is what I do, sofar:

I start by getting the tobacco into a broken up state. Some is already in that condition, others require some work in the palms, razor blades, etc. Then, I just start stuffing it in there with my thumb until it's about full.

Next, I fire it up with a torch lighter, while giving it a few drags to draw the flame down in. I usually get some billowing smoke at this point, and some strong shots of flavor.

Next, I go do whatever I'm going to do, like a walk with the dog. Very early on, I would puff the thing like it was going out of style, get a lot of smoke, and a lot of tongue bite and go till it's gone. Now, I try to puff sparingly trying to just keep it lit. This usually ends up with lots of relights during the course of the bowl. It tastes alright, but I'd like some pointers on keeping it going so I don't have to relight so much.

Lastly, when I get down to a "gurgling" point, I figure it's finished. However, I almost always have maybe a 1/4" of "good" tobacco left in the bottom of the bowl when I dig it out with a chec tool.

Does this sound remotely correct? Am I totally fucking up?

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

After you light it, tamp it down while drawing on it. After that she should go until she's done.

Blog Entries

My ritual is kinda like this:

Fill the bowl with prepared tobacco VERY LOOSELY, then gently press it down to about the half way point. Fill again and press a little harder until it's about 2/3 full, then top off and pack it down gently. You should have an easy draw.

I've used torch lighters, but they can easily scorch your pipe if you aren't very careful. I use a bic mostly. Light while taking small quick puffs until the entire top is glowing, take a few puffs, and let it go out.(called a false light, or charring light) Now use your tamper with just enough pressure to level the ashes in the bowl. The next light should keep it going with gentle regular puffs.

About half way through, tamp gently then dump the ashes out. don't tap them, just let them fall out. tamp again and relight if needed.

If at any time you start getting gurgling or excess resistance, run a pipe cleaner down the stem all the way to the bowl and soak up the goop.

I can usually get through a bowl with only two or three re-lights, but don't worry if you have to light more often.. You'll develop your own technique over time, this just works for me.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

The way it was explained to me was to fill the bowl and tamp it down very lightly, as a child would. Next, fill the bowl again and tamp it down with slightly more pressure, as a mother would. Finally, fill the bowl again and tamp it as a father would. The double charring method BWA described works for me also. Check your draw as you fill and tamp the bowl, then light and enjoy.

As a note, I use aromatics that are loose in the tin, rather than twists or other tobaccos that require preparation. I'm a bit of a noob myself. I think I have a few questions to ask down the road.

Blog Entries

Anytime you puff away hard at the first and get tons of smoke you should probably be taking long slow puffs instead of quick hard puffs. Then it will not burn so hot. When it starts to get too hot( the test for this is putting the bowl against your cheek it should be luke warm or at least where it is not too hot to put against your cheek ) ... tamp it lightly. Also I use the three pack child - mother - father load method.

Just my two cents. Don't let your brair's burn too hot even if you have to relight many times. Best to slow down. The char is important and tamping is important.

Blow into the pipe ( lightly ) after running the pipe cleaner to get rid of gurgle.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

I bought a pipe yesterday and could not keep the thing lit. I'll have to try the tips in this thread.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

7. Default

Lots of useful info here...http://smokingpipetobacco.com/2008/1...-pipe-tobacco/

I learned to pack a proper bowl by watching the vids...By the way ditch the torch lighter. Use a soft flame.
    Last edited by cigarsarge; 06-06-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Good info on tongue bite on that site. That's a problem that has been plaguing me for years. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Lots of useful info here...http://smokingpipetobacco.com/2008/1...-pipe-tobacco/

I learned to pack a proper bowl by watching the vids...By the way ditch the torch lighter. Use a soft flame.
    I watched those last night. Thank you for posting them.

10. Default

Is your pipe broken in, newb or are you trying to fight two battles at the same time? What kind of tobacco are you smoking? Some tobaccos are not newb friendly, Virginia flakes, for instance. Get yourself a Corn cob and a tobacco that's neophyte friendly, like Prince Albert. It won't impress your friends, but it will allow you to practice your technique, burns easy, won't bite and is wonderful for break-ins as it cakes really well. Oh, stay away from aromatics.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

I bought a briar pipe and the guy said it didn't need to be broken in. I don't know what tobacco I bought but I'm guessing its aromatic (they were labeled Vanilla, Champagne, Cappuccino and Nittany Nector).

12. Default

here is a trick i use and have taught it to friends with alot of succes...

befor you fill your pipe, draw on it to get an idea on how it draws empty. loose fill and lightly tamp untill the resistance is about what it feels like to drink water through a straw. repeat untill the bowl is almost to the top. do your char light, let it go out and relight. do NOT use a torch lighter, they are way to hot and you will damage your pipe. matches, zippos and bic lighters are the perfered means to light.

btw, i used to use my fingers to tamp but you'll get a more even pack if you use a pipe tool to do it. do not worry about relights, as you gain experiance you'll get the hang of things. hey, the 1st time you had sex you didn't have your partner screaming in joy did you? you have to work at it a little and soon, everything will fall in place.

13. Default

[QUOTEhey, the 1st time you had sex you didn't have your partner screaming in joy did you? [/QUOTE]

I did...

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    [QUOTEhey, the 1st time you had sex you didn't have your partner screaming in joy did you?

I did...
    Are you sure that was a scream ? It could it have been the air leaking out of your blow up doll

designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Are you sure that was a scream ? It could it have been the air leaking out of your blow up doll

Thanks Mangy...you can send the new keyboard to me at work...I just spit coffee on mine.

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

On those videos, I watched from "how to pack you bowl" to "smoking tips"

Packing the bowl, was a good one for me. I sorta understood it, but not really. The video helped a lot there.

Lighting the pipe. I didn't know about the singeing thing, or charring the tobacco, kinda like a cigar (duh) There's another one that helped.

Tamping lightly while smoking, I was doing that, but I noticed him running a pipe cleaner down the tip during the smoke, which was enlightening. Slow puffing (compared to a cigar) is key for me to avoiding tongue bite. Took a little while to figure that one out.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Informative videos.
    I have been packing my pipe to tight for years
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

18. Default

Just let the weight of the tamper pack it and smoke slowly is the key. Also if the pipe gets hot to the touch stop and let the bowl cool. Sounds easy...But it takes practice. Being off work for five weeks I've practiced plenty.

really awesome info here. thank you guys, my pipe never seems to stay lit and tongue bite was murder. i cant wait to rediscover my pipe now.

20. Default

You are very close to perfecting your process. You just need to "tap" the tobacco down with the same tool you use to dig it out. Or you can use a special tool--talk to your local tobacco dealer. Also, get a strong light going and just puff on it for a while. Packing it down a bit will help keep it lit. Cheers!
    Last edited by Indyartist; 10-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    What's in a name? A (cigar) by any other name would smell just as sweet!
    Always looking for a funny status for Facebook.

Thread Information