Thread: The Tobacco Plant Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default

This is a very cool idea, are you (mrtr33) the only one that's got experience with growing?
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirPuffsAlot View Post
    This is a very cool idea, are you (mrtr33) the only one that's got experience with growing?
    I can't speak for the others, but I also don't know that I'd call myself experienced. I raised 2 plants last year, the biggest of the two featured in my avatar. I've done a lot of research since then, and hope to have bigger plants this year. But I'll probably end up making all the same mistakes again.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

The one thing I have found about plants in general, is that they will only grow as big as the pot they are in allows them to grow.
    That plant would have Probably grown larger if it was in a larger pot, just my experiance.

Keith

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirPuffsAlot View Post
    I have never grown a tobacco plant. I have been around gardens and farms my entire life, so I ought to be able to at least not kill them. I'm planning on growing a few in pots, to intentionally limit their size for ornamental purposes.

I'll most likely talk my Dad out of a row or two in his garden to allow other plants to do as well as they will. I have much research to do on the specifics of tobacco and am looking forward to the experiment.

Blog Entries

Default A couple of links...

I am thinking about growing some in a pot on my balcony. So I started looking around and found a couple of interesting links...

Here
    and
    Here
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Gearing Up

Thanks for setting this up! I am truly looking forward to this project. This weekend I will check my propagation supplies and see if I need any additional equipment. Temps have been below average for a full month down here, so the seeds may need a little more encouragement than usual. I may need to get my hands on a heat lamp or pad heater. Also, I want to keep track of the amount of time and effort necessary to "produce a crop", although I am more interested in the ornamental aspects.

Blog Entries

Default Gearing Up

**Update**
    Second post of resources updated.

I attended a ferti-lome seminar last evening regarding their new products, and got a chance to talk with the lead guy about my ambitions. He seemed supported, but I think I could have told him I wanted to plant just about anything, and he would have been supportive. I have definitely made my mind up that I'm only going to utilize the knowledge base of my local garden nursery, however, instead of the big box stores like Lowe's or Home Depot. It's not so much an environmental concern (I'm dumping all kinds of chemical fertilizers into these), as it's in support of supporting the local businesses, as ferti-lome/hi - yield don't sell their products in the big box stores. I also got a cool ferti-lome t-shirt. I'm a sucker for free t-shirts.

I've already gathered a few supplies, but plan on making a full assessment this weekend. I hope to have some plans drawn out to show off next week. Depending on how the weather looks next week, I may start the seedlings next weekend. It's still rather unseasonably cold here right now, so I'm not really in any rush. Last year at this time, the seedlings were already sprouting.

Seeds didn't go out until this past Tuesday. Each breakdown of seeds works something like this:

Small Stock Black Mammoth: approximately 15-20 seeds
    Long Red Leaf: approximately 10 seeds
    Florida Sumatra: approximately 15-20 seeds
    Argentina: approximately 10 seeds

Sorry about that, there just weren't lots of the Long Red Leaf to go around. Also, the Argentina seeds were from last season. Do what you can.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Cool Mark, can't wait to get them and get started. I luv me some tobacco from Argentinia!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Cool Mark, can't wait to get them and get started. I luv me some tobacco from Argentinia!!
    Where is that?

Thread Information