Thread: The Tobacco Plant Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    The seeds arrived late yesterday. I will probably wait until later this week to get them started. Everything looks like it is in good condition. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Got mine yesterday as well.....might wait until next weekend to start them.
    Glad to hear everything arrived alright. I'll probably be planting this weekend. I'll be sure to post pics.

Thanks again for participating.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Default Seeds are in the Soil

I thought I'd update this thread.

I got the seeds in the peat pellets last night. The pictures aren't great, because I have the worst camera and the worst photographing ability in the whole entire world.

But here are a few pics, nonetheless.

You can't tell easily by these pictures, but each pellet contains about 5-6 seeds. I looked again, and had maybe 2 seeds of the Argentina tobacco seeds left. So I put those just in one pellet. As I stated before, I had lots of the Small Stalk Black Mammoth, and still have some left over (Louisiana sometimes gets two growing seasons, but we're due for another freeze before the month is up, so I'm not holding my breath). Those were dispersed over maybe 8 or 9 pellets. The other two varieties (Long Red Leaf and Florida Sumatra) were evenly dispersed over 12 pellets.

I'm hoping to see sprouts in a week. I'll keep you posted.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Seeds are in the peat pods - photos and narrative to follow.

Blog Entries

I did the jiffy pellet thingy too.....they look pretty much like Marks. I'll save my shitty photography skills until there is something for you to not see well.

Blog Entries

....and we have germination. Very very tiny plants have started to grow of each variety. Not all of the seeds have started sprouting, and I can't reiterate how tiny these are. I'll take some pictures for reference a bit later on today.

I've been checking these plants every day since I planted them. I put them in the peat pots (actually, just on top of the peat pots) on Monday, March 8th, in the evening. I noticed that they were sprouting last night, right at the 10 day mark. I haven't watered them since I planted them. They certainly aren't dry, but they definitely aren't as moist as they were when I started. I'm going to add a little bit of water to both trays today; I may fertilize with a 10% solution this weekend. I'm just going to mist the fertilizer on with this little hand-spray mister we have.

The trays sit in a south-facing window. I'd say they get around 7-8 hours of sunlight a day in that window sill. I also try to keep the little plastic trays on them as well each day, but sometimes I have taken them off. When I first started, I noticed that mold was growing on top of the peat pellets; it appeared that the moist peat pellets, sitting in a covered tray in the sunlight, was a bit much for them, and the mold developed. Last night I just lightly scraped the mold off; it doesn't look like it really hurt anything, and the plants have started to grow.

Anyways, I'll post pics later on today. Thanks for reading.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

The long awaited pictures.......before continuing, you should know that I have the worst digital camera ever. Add that to the fact that I'm the worst photographer ever, and you should be considered lucky that you can even see the pictures at all.

These are the Small Stalk Black Mammoth plants coming up.

Long Red Leaf - the peat looks drier here than it actually is.

Florida Sumatra - the peat pods the mold got on the most. It doesn't look like it, but there are very small sprouts on a few of these pods. I'm going to be watching them closely.

Just watered over lunch, and will fertilize this weekend. Will post more on Monday.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

We'll be rolling blunts in no time.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information