Thread: Shapes & Sizes

Blog Entries

Default Shapes & Sizes

So, I'm intrigued. I'm going to try visiting a trusted tobacconist this week to check out their extensive pipe collection, but I have a feeling I know what I'll encounter (expensive pipes). I've done a little research on a site BWA suggested, pipesandcigars.com, and found these inexpensive pipes by: Lorenzo Pipes. I like the Lorenzo SPORT Pipe - Caramel Matte - Apple bent tapered apple all the way at the bottom of the page.

What am I looking for in a pipe? What does the bent pipe mean? Why are some shaped differently? What does that do for taste? Or am I just trying to look cool?

I know, I know......do my own research. But if anyone is willing to give me a push, though.......

Thanks.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Shape is about 85% aesthetics, but it can factor in some other ways. A bent pipe is less likely to allow the moisture that accumulates in the stem to get to your mouth.. a good feature for a new smoker. A bent pipe also has a lower CG and will be easier to hold in your teeth. One possible drawback is a bent pipe may not allow a pipe cleaner to pass all the way to the bowl, something I really dislike, since I use three or four cleaners during a smoke.

Some shapes have thicker walls around the bowl, I find the thicker ones best suited to Virginia and Virginia/perique flake tobaccos, they tend to burn a little hotter than orientals.

As for affecting the taste, the only shape I could see making a difference is the Dublin shape, since it has a bowl that's somewhat cone-shaped, getting smaller toward the end of the smoke.

In a word.. it's about looking cool!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    A bent pipe also has a lower CG and will be easier to hold in your teeth.
    was ist das?

One possible drawback is a bent pipe may not allow a pipe cleaner to pass all the way to the bowl, something I really dislike, since I use three or four cleaners during a smoke.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that - and I thought I'd opt for a shorter bend/stem. I think I'm just going to have to go and check these out at the local tobacconist.

Some shapes have thicker walls around the bowl, I find the thicker ones best suited to Virginia and Virginia/perique flake tobaccos, they tend to burn a little hotter than orientals.
    Thanks for the tip. Tell me: about how long does it take to smoke a pipe? How do the tastes compare with cigars? If the pipe shape is 85% aesthetics, why do smokers have so many different types? What's the difference between an apple and a squashed tomato shape?

In a word.. it's about looking cool!
    It's good to know I can still look cool. No matter what pipe I select. I guess I just like the look of those bent apples.

Thanks...........

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

A bent pipe also has a lower CG and will be easier to hold in your teeth.
    Mark, I believe this would be Center of Gravity. Correct me if I'm wrong Dennis.

Blog Entries

CG = Center of gravity, pipes like a Calabash are on the extreme end of bent, and hang very comfortably in your mouth. Straight pipes take a lot of clenching of the teeth to hold on to.

I usually get between 45 minutes to an hour out of a bowl, but that can vary dramatically according to pipe bowl size, what you're smoking, and your pace. If you're looking for taste similar to cigars, I would obviously stay away from aromatics, and try some good English blends, Virginias, and Balkans.

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Straight pipes take a lot of clenching of the teeth to hold on to.

If you're looking for taste similar to cigars, I would obviously stay away from aromatics, and try some good English blends, Virginias, and Balkans.
    Thanks for the help. It would seem to me that you'd go through stems relatively quickly if you smoked your pipe a good bit. I may not have the terminology right - the part that goes in your mouth! Doesn't that get chewed up?

Also, I read somewhere that perique tobacco is native to Louisiana! Is it any good?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I haven't chewed through a stem yet, and I've been smoking them regularly for over two years... a short amount of time, I know, but I have yet to even see any significant tooth marks.

Perique is grown ONLY in LA, and it's my favorite.. it adds a spicy kick to the sweetness you get with pressed Virginias.

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Thread Information