Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding ticket *groan*

Default Speeding ticket *groan*

Well, leave it to me to do it right the first time I get a speeding ticket (Warnings previously throughout the years). I was heading to a friends house to help pick up something from Menard's in my truck. I was only going ten miles over the limit, until I crossed the train tracks where the limit drops from 40 to 30 before the intersection and didn't notice. Guess where the county patrol car was? He was polite, but wrote the ticket for the full amount over (51 in a 30). I didn't realize what a big deal 20 over is. I have to call and find out how bad the prosecutor wants to ream me I guess. With any luck, they may drop it down a notch (crosses fingers). It could be up to six points and a nasty fine!

Lesson 1: Pay more attention to speed limits when I'm driving on the back roads and less on the cigar and long missed warm sunshine.

Lesson2: Dig out the old radar detector in the basement again.

Before this, I would have said it is impossible to "Accidentally" drive 20 over the limit. I seriously underestimated my own capacity for inattention.

I was completely surprised and confused when I got pulled over. Only then did I realize to my horror that I truly had no clue how fast I was driving or what the posted limit even was. Helloooo! Wake up Ken! Must be spring fever or something.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 03-08-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

I might add, getting pulled over totally ruins your smoking experience as well.

Talk about adding insult to injury!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

Last time I got pulled over the cop wrote me up for "waste of a finite resource" - which means no points, just a fine. Good old revenue generation for the town of Mammoth, AZ - yay!

I thought for a little bit about fighting it, claiming that I was not "wasting" a finite resource by going 55 in a 45 because I have a better MPG at 55... so I was in fact conserving a finite resource... but my time was worth more than the $120 (and the judge would probably not appreciate my sarcastic defense).

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

I feel for you brother, all I can say is ask the cop and the judge for a little forgivness.
    The last ticket I got, I went in and asked for leniancy, and they knocked it down to a non moving violation...still a hefty fine, but no points on the liscense, and the insurance is not affected.

Keith

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Check into IN laws about no lo contendre. It's pleading no contest and, in GA, it can mean no fine or points. I used that as a kid when I got caught going 100+ in a 55 I ended up with a $40 defensive driving class and that was it. I know it varies by state though.

6. Default

I've never got a ticket...Even before I ever wrote one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    Check into IN laws about no lo contendre. It's pleading no contest and, in GA, it can mean no fine or points. I used that as a kid when I got caught going 100+ in a 55 I ended up with a $40 defensive driving class and that was it. I know it varies by state though.

Some buddies of mine in high school got caught doing 60 in a 25 - the police officer that pulled them over told them that if they went 5 mph faster, he could nail them on attempted manslaughter. He should have kicked their ass right then and there.

I personally don't understand what the problem is driving the speed limit. Sure, I understand that people get distracted sometimes and go a little bit faster, but the assholes that drive where I live seem like they race to each stop sign. In Denmark fines are assigned on a percentage of your income - sounds like a pretty good deterrent to me. I mean, why do we have the law in the first place if everyone ignores it? Why does the spedometer list it's top speed at 120 mph when I can't legally drive that fast anywhere in North America? I just don't understand that. But I digress.....

I'm not saying I'm perfect, but in my opinion it's a ticket that I can avoid. That's right - I'm that slow bastard that your grandpa is passing and giving the finger. It's a joke amongst all of my friends - I'm the slowest driver ever.

My wife, on the other hand...........

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Speeding tickets hurt. The only time I have ever been pulled over was for going 67 in a 45. I knew I was going 67, but I never would have guessed that the speed limit would have been 45. It was on a 4 lane highway that I could have sworn was at least 55. But sure enough, the trooper got me just after the 45mph speed limit sign that I overlooked. At least he was nice enough to knock it down to 55. I opted to do the deterrent program where I paid the court fees, then completed an online defensive driving class to get the ticket wiped off so that insurance wouldn't find out about it.

Sorry bro but that's going to knock one good box of cigars off the budget

Blog Entries

Well, I generally speed on the highway but pay much closer attention in town. I figure if the speedlimit is anything less than 65, there is probably a reason for it and additional attention is required. Now, on the 75 mph toll road.......

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post

Some buddies of mine in high school got caught doing 60 in a 25 - the police officer that pulled them over told them that if they went 5 mph faster, he could nail them on attempted manslaughter. He should have kicked their ass right then and there.

I personally don't understand what the problem is driving the speed limit. Sure, I understand that people get distracted sometimes and go a little bit faster, but the assholes that drive where I live seem like they race to each stop sign. In Denmark fines are assigned on a percentage of your income - sounds like a pretty good deterrent to me. I mean, why do we have the law in the first place if everyone ignores it? Why does the spedometer list it's top speed at 120 mph when I can't legally drive that fast anywhere in North America? I just don't understand that. But I digress.....

I'm not saying I'm perfect, but in my opinion it's a ticket that I can avoid. That's right - I'm that slow bastard that your grandpa is passing and giving the finger. It's a joke amongst all of my friends - I'm the slowest driver ever.

My wife, on the other hand...........
    I must confess that I usually drive like an old man too (hell, my other car is a Volvo.) I usually obey the speed limits and most of the time (traffic and conditions permitting) I actually drop down below the posted limit. I'm just never in that much of a hurry to get where I'm going. I did some math years ago that showed me how much time I'd save by doing 15 above the posted limit as opposed to 5 below. In most of my travels the time saved was minimal (a minute or 2) and the difference in the anxiety level when I was going at or under the limit was substantial. Not only that, but it seems that I always (well, maybe 95% of the time) end up catching up with the folks who passed me up at the next traffic light. Most of my play time takes place at the track.

Now, with that being said, I do admit to an occasional need for speed. I purposely and knowingly have a little fun with my cars on the street. Most of the time they are short bursts designed to humiliate some kid with big ol' fart pipes on his car. I will also admit that I've had the Shelby right up against the speed limiter of 158 (before I had it disabled) but it was north of Cheyenne WY on a stretch of Interstate where I could see 5 miles ahead of me with no traffic in front of me and nothing but fields on either side. I always take into account the prevailing conditions, and if I do get caught, well, it's just the price I pay to play. It's no one's fault but my own, be it intentional or not, and I am fully aware of and willing to accept the consequences of my own actions as long as no one else gets hurt.

I won't get into a car if the little woman is driving. It's part of my survival instinct.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I won't get into a car if the little woman is driving. It's part of my survival instinct.
    - classic!

-Buzz
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

I've slowed down quite a bit since my younger, stupider days At one point I had 6 or 7 tickets all at least 10 mi over and a couple at 20+. When I got married and got a joint policy with my wife, it was almost $3K/yr. Hers had been less than $400 Now I stay within 5 mi of the posted limit. I can't afford that shit anymore!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    I've slowed down quite a bit since my younger, stupider days At one point I had 6 or 7 tickets all at least 10 mi over and a couple at 20+. When I got married and got a joint policy with my wife, it was almost $3K/yr. Hers had been less than $400 Now I stay within 5 mi of the posted limit. I can't afford that shit anymore!
    Especially with your cBid habit, and that monster-dor to fill!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

15. Default

Where I live the whole city is a speed trap. We have red light cameras that record speeders and people that run the light. We also have a van that sits beside the road that photographs speeders. You get a $50 ticket in the mail.

I have a problem with that...IMHO you have the right to face your accuser in court.

Especially with your cBid habit, and that monster-dor to fill!
    Amen!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Where I live the whole city is a speed trap. We have red light cameras that record speeders and people that run the light. We also have a van that sits beside the road that photographs speeders. You get a $50 ticket in the mail.

I have a problem with that...IMHO you have the right to face your accuser in court.
    I wish they would put in red light cameras here. People around here clearly do not understand the concept at all. Having a green light here no longer means it is your turn to go, it means wait for that last person to come screaming through the intersection, then it is your turn to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post

I personally don't understand what the problem is driving the speed limit. Sure, I understand that people get distracted sometimes and go a little bit faster, but the assholes that drive where I live seem like they race to each stop sign. I
    I didn't either - until I studied crashes for a living. In it's basic form - the larger the momentum (Mass X velocity) - the worse the crash. What most people don't realize - the crash forces of about a 35 MPH BEV crash (Barrier Equivalent Velocity = hitting a solid barrier at 35 mph) will definitely ruin your day, and is almost certainly fatal. The human body is not designed to handle those kinds of crash forces very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I wish they would put in red light cameras here. People around here clearly do not understand the concept at all. Having a green light here no longer means it is your turn to go, it means wait for that last person to come screaming through the intersection, then it is your turn to go.
    I'm not a huge fan of red light cameras, but I have definitely noticed quite an improvement in drivers paying attention to the subtle differences in the colors of the traffic lights. It was getting CRAZY around here. I surely don't see as many drivers confusing red for green as much as I used to, now that those camera trees have been sprouting all over the Chicago landscape...

20. Default

Red light cams banned in NC. I got a red light ticket a few years ago and it had the speed posted. Im ashamed a tiny bit but it was in the middle of the night,hwy 74 was deserted and I could see for a long way...........117 mph.Yeah do the math ,I ran it bigtime

I chunked the ticket in the trash because it was from some company in TX,they sent another with the fine doubled. I mailed them 100$ in monoply money with a note to GFY. Never heard back and not soon afterwards they were ban from NC
    The older I get ,the better I was

Thread Information