Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Davidoff Chateau Margaux 1970s

I would have no problem walking into Whiskey's B&M and buying them. But with that said. I would have an issue buying over the internet. I just don't believe 40YR old Davidoff's need to be hawked over the web at discount prices. Something about that does not sitt well with me. IMHO
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

2. Default

You guys gotta remember that many shops such as this one exist all over the world. When my Swedish friend wants something from the USA and I send it to him he always sends me Cuban petite coronas. I know he buys them at a local shop and I never worry about fakes and know they are ready to smoke.
    The older I get ,the better I was

3. Default

I concur with you Paddy about buying cigars that cost that much over the internet. I'd want to buy them in person to inspect.

4. Default

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments, feedback and advice. Much appreciated

Our stocks of these have all sold now but I'll keep you posted of any further interesting releases

Best wishes
    Fraser
    Last edited by FraGil; 03-25-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FraGil View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments, feedback and advice. Much appreciated

Our staocks of these have all sold now but I'll keep you posted of any further interesting releases

Best wishes
    Fraser
    Please do. I may not be able to afford them, but it's always interesting to read about collector cigars like these popping up.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

6. Default Othe 1970s Davidoffs available

Based on how quickly the Chateau Margaux sold out I have bent their arms and persuaded my directors to release another couple of interesting cabinets from their private stocks

Davidoff 4000 1970's cabinet of 24 £1750

Davidoff 5000 1970's cabinet of 25 £2000

One cabinet of each only is being made available

Perfect condition of course as well as perfect provenance. Prices are inclusive of airmail shipping

If you are interested just drop me a line at sales@whisky-cigars.com

Best
    Fraser
    Robert Graham Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I would have no problem walking into Whiskey's B&M and buying them. But with that said. I would have an issue buying over the internet. I just don't believe 40YR old Davidoff's need to be hawked over the web at discount prices. Something about that does not sitt well with me. IMHO
    Online retailers fall into two distinct categories:

1. "Hawkers" - those that push out anything that will sell, hoping to make the big bucks in the short term. i.e. - typically guilty of selling things such as glass top Cohiba's.

2. "Reputable" dealers that look for the reputation to generate repeat sales.

Hawkers tend to be very flash in the pan - oftentimes they are caught trying to sell something that is valueless for big bucks. Very short term business plan, as it doesn't take long in these comunities to identify and weed those chuckleheads out.

Those that try to establish a solid online reputation know the inherent risk to their reputation, and generally do a very good job of screening out the illegitimate product. It does not generally benefit them to risk their reputation over the sale of one bad cigar - so they tend to back what they sell, and only sell good quality cigars.

So, FWIW - I believe FraGil falls in the latter category...

8. Default

Thanks for your post.

We're very fortunate at Robert Graham that we have 136 years of successful trade behind us and also that we have several shops you can call on the phone or visit should you be in the vicinity (theres a free dram waiting to be poured for anyone from cigarsmokers.com by the way)

Not every online retailer can say the same but thats not to say they are not reputable. Far from it. Some great retailers exist purely online and offer tremendous service

In my opinion the "hawkers" don't ever last long as boards like this are invaluable at spreading the word and keeping legitimate traders going which in turn keeps the manufacturers going

Your comments, business and friendship are always appreciated - as are criticisms, if anyone has a look at our website and sees something they don't like or approve of we always like to hear about it so we can fix it

Best
    Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Online retailers fall into two distinct categories:

1. "Hawkers" - those that push out anything that will sell, hoping to make the big bucks in the short term. i.e. - typically guilty of selling things such as glass top Cohiba's.

2. "Reputable" dealers that look for the reputation to generate repeat sales.

Hawkers tend to be very flash in the pan - oftentimes they are caught trying to sell something that is valueless for big bucks. Very short term business plan, as it doesn't take long in these comunities to identify and weed those chuckleheads out.

Those that try to establish a solid online reputation know the inherent risk to their reputation, and generally do a very good job of screening out the illegitimate product. It does not generally benefit them to risk their reputation over the sale of one bad cigar - so they tend to back what they sell, and only sell good quality cigars.

So, FWIW - I believe FraGil falls in the latter category...
    Fair enough !
    Perhaps "hawkers" was a bit harsh on my end.
    I guess the point I was trying to make was that if the retailer I use in Europe was
    to aquire a hand full of 40yr old boxes, he would have sent out a private email to select clients.
    Not posted it on the forum were not only members can see it but also every other Tom, Dick, & Harry who pops in to our little cigar world, but I guess because I also have a relationship with my retailer I would not hesitate to purchase something and then hope they are not fakes. I have no history with Whiskey's and would not start one with a $1,800.00 box of Davidoff's.
    Maybe a $200.00 box of RyJ's. Please no hard feelings FraGil
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Fair enough !
    Perhaps "hawkers" was a bit harsh on my end.
    I guess the point I was trying to make was that if the retailer I use in Europe was
    to aquire a hand full of 40yr old boxes, he would have sent out a private email to select clients.
    Not posted it on the forum were not only members can see it but also every other Tom, Dick, & Harry who pops in to our little cigar world, but I guess because I also have a relationship with my retailer I would not hesitate to purchase something and then hope they are not fakes. I have no history with Whiskey's and would not start one with a $1,800.00 box of Davidoff's.
    Maybe a $200.00 box of RyJ's. Please no hard feelings FraGil
    I would not disagree that $1,800 a box for cigars does seem a bit harsh. However - check out the auctions and see what Davidoff's are going for! $1,800 sounds reasonable, I'd say.

I hear what you're saying about e-mails vs. public posts - but this offer is something you will not ordinarily see. I've been dying to try a Davidoff Margaux (I hear great things) - and I wish I had the $$$ to invest. The best I've been able to do is the 4000 and 5000s (both VERY nice, BTW). I appreciate Fraser offering this up to our community. Perhaps sometime (one can only hope!).

from my view, though - I'd be a bit more concerned about someone posting up a box of RyJ's at $200.

..now if he was selling OR Anejo's...

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    from my view, though - I'd be a bit more concerned about someone posting up a box of RyJ's at $200.
    even Petit Julietas?

Thread Information