Thread: Spring Yard Work 2010

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Spring Yard Work 2010

Brothers,

As spring is slowly creeping up on us, I was wondering what you are all doing, or going to do, as far as yard work is concerned. I purchased my new home in late July of last year and with the heavy drought we had in Texas it was really hard for my newly laid Bermuda grass to catch on. I did what i could to save it and looks like it did well but I am looking forward to this spring to have a nice looking carpet lawn. To that end, here is a list of my work so far and some things I have planned for the near future:

- Rains and weather patterns were a little crazy at least in my area so I missed the window for adding some pre-emergent weed treatment.

- I have followed some advice from local yard freaks and completely scalped my lawn in order to prep it for the growing season. This was not before applying some old fashioned elbow grease to remove the crazy amount of winter weeds that were present.

- I planted a couple of trees (shrubs) near my entry door on a small piece of land that has no use for Bermuda grass. I am thinking about removing the little Bermuda grass that I have there and planting some monkey grass since it grows well in the shade.

- In a month or so, after my second mowing, I will be applying Alfalfa Pellets to my lawn as fertilizer based on some recommendations from locals. I am going to try my best to keep my fertilization limited to organic materials only. (I consider cigar ashes organic material as well )

- At some point, budget allowing, I want to install a sprinkler system

This thread is nothing without pics so please feel free to show off your lawns / gardens. Also, please comment on any advice you would want to share with other members. I am by no means an expert on lawns or lawn care and consider myself a complete newbie to this as well, but I do have the commitment to having a nice and beautiful lawn throughout this year. (I am also jealous of one of my neighbor's lawn ) hehehe.
    Last edited by ndv21; 03-25-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information