Thread: Plastic smell in coolirdor

Default Plastic smell in coolirdor

I am thinking about setting up a coolidor. I did a search and found a lot of good info but but I was wondering if the plastic smell gets in the cigars ?

After cleaning your new cooler set it out side in the sun with the lid open for a few days.

I cleaned mine with a mild dish soap and then left it in the sun for 2 days and it now has very little if any plastic smell to it.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    After cleaning your new cooler set it out side in the sun with the lid open for a few days.

I cleaned mine with a mild dish soap and then left it in the sun for 2 days and it now has very little if any plastic smell to it.
    What the Rat said
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    What the Rat said
    +1

I actually used a little bleach when I cleaned mine out. Either way, leaving it in the sun is the important step. Should get the smell out. If you do the bleach make sure you rinse it out thoroughly. Then rinse it out again.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

5. Default

Or you could use what a Fuller used to use LOL
    The older I get ,the better I was

Buying a cooler at the end of the season helps since the plastic has had time to cure. It also gets you a good deal. I got a huge green hunting cooler on clearance for ten bucks in the middle of winter at Wally World. There was little, if any plastic smell left at that time. The advice about the sun should work just fine for a newer one. Make sure and get plenty of cedar cigar boxes to store your bundled cigars in. Filling your cooler with spanish cedar mimics a real cedar humidor and helps regulate the humidity.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I am thinking about setting up a coolidor. I did a search and found a lot of good info but but I was wondering if the plastic smell gets in the cigars ?
    No it doesn't.

Does it get in your food or beer when you put those in a cooler?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information