Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board Games?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Yeah, I think you're version of "Candyland" isn't "G" rated like the one they sell in the stores.

I think Stratego was one of the greatest board games of all time. Clue is pretty cool too.
    LOL You do know what wifeys first name is dontcha
    The older I get ,the better I was

I have the original Ticket to Ride and we enjoy it much more after buying the 1910 Expansion.

Other ideas:
    Power Grid - Build power plants and cities and the winner is the person that can power the most power plants. Lots of replayability here, especially with the expansion maps with different rules @ $10 each. There's an auction element with the power plants and you can block, like in TTR

Twilight Struggle - A medium weight strategy game that recreates the cold war. My current favorite game. You will need to set aside 2-3 hours to play it though (or a few rounds each night)

7 Wonders - light strategy game, quick playing.

Memoir 44 - WWII theme, not nearly as long as A&A, with a lot of expansions. Mini's & dice rolling.

Battlecry - Civil War theme (same system as M44). Mini's & dice rolling.

Carcassone - A nice tile laying game with tons of expansions, quick playing

'Battle Line' & 'Lost Cities' - Basically card games. I haven't played these 2 yet, but I've heard good things about them. Battle Line seems to have more strategic play

Race for the Galaxy - more of a card laying game (not MtG),

Dominion - a deck building card game that scales from 2-4 nicely with lots of expansions. I like that this game plays quickly and each game is different based upon the Kingdom cards that are selected for that game.

Pandemic - a nice co-op game where you work together to cure diseases (1-4p I think)

Star Trek: Fleet Captains - this game is at the top of my want list.

War of the Ring - Ares just reprinted this game and I got it for Christmas. I love thematic games (Twilight, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica) and I really enjoyed the LoTR universe. 2p but you need a few hours to play.

Warhammer: Invasion - I enjoyed MtG back in the day, but hated how you could go broke, so my friend and I got into Fantasy Flight's 'LCG' (Living Card Game), a system whereby you know exactly what cards you will be receiving in a booster. Very thematic after being a Warhammer Fantasy & 40K fan.

My buddy and his wife love Small World and just bought the Underground expansion

I've heard good things about Puerto Rico & Cuba, but haven't picked up a copy yet. My friend just bought Agricola, so I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to play it in a month and I'll let you know what I think. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, as it is highly ranked at boardgamegeek.com

Oh, and if anyone can get 5 people together, check out 'Risk: Legacy'. There are envelopes that you open as different events happen and each envelope introduces something that changes your game board forever. I think it is a very cool concept and I'm hoping to have the same five people play 10-15 games, because you receive bonuses from game to game. Now, before someone says 10-15 games will take forever, Legacy changes the victory conditions so that a game can be played in about an hour.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish79 View Post
    I have the original Ticket to Ride and we enjoy it much more after buying the 1910 Expansion.

Other ideas:
    Power Grid - Build power plants and cities and the winner is the person that can power the most power plants. Lots of replayability here, especially with the expansion maps with different rules @ $10 each. There's an auction element with the power plants and you can block, like in TTR

Twilight Struggle - A medium weight strategy game that recreates the cold war. My current favorite game. You will need to set aside 2-3 hours to play it though (or a few rounds each night)

7 Wonders - light strategy game, quick playing.

Memoir 44 - WWII theme, not nearly as long as A&A, with a lot of expansions. Mini's & dice rolling.

Battlecry - Civil War theme (same system as M44). Mini's & dice rolling.

Carcassone - A nice tile laying game with tons of expansions, quick playing

'Battle Line' & 'Lost Cities' - Basically card games. I haven't played these 2 yet, but I've heard good things about them. Battle Line seems to have more strategic play

Race for the Galaxy - more of a card laying game (not MtG),

Dominion - a deck building card game that scales from 2-4 nicely with lots of expansions. I like that this game plays quickly and each game is different based upon the Kingdom cards that are selected for that game.

Pandemic - a nice co-op game where you work together to cure diseases (1-4p I think)

Star Trek: Fleet Captains - this game is at the top of my want list.

War of the Ring - Ares just reprinted this game and I got it for Christmas. I love thematic games (Twilight, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica) and I really enjoyed the LoTR universe. 2p but you need a few hours to play.

Warhammer: Invasion - I enjoyed MtG back in the day, but hated how you could go broke, so my friend and I got into Fantasy Flight's 'LCG' (Living Card Game), a system whereby you know exactly what cards you will be receiving in a booster. Very thematic after being a Warhammer Fantasy & 40K fan.

My buddy and his wife love Small World and just bought the Underground expansion

I've heard good things about Puerto Rico & Cuba, but haven't picked up a copy yet. My friend just bought Agricola, so I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to play it in a month and I'll let you know what I think. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, as it is highly ranked at boardgamegeek.com
    I think you guys need some kids.

Of those, Dominion sounds like it's up our alley. They all sound cool, but the wifey isn't as dorky as I am, and I don't know if she'd go for some of the thematic games mentioned above. I'd love to play Warhammer, though. That sounds cool.

What does the TtR 1910 expansion do? Does it only have additional destination cards, or is there a separate, playable element to it?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

1910 basically adds more tickets plus a bonus for the most tickets completed, so that it is a viable strategy. There seemed to be so few tickets with the original that it became easy to know where someone was going and block them. Also, I could just grab 6 of the 6 train sections and nab 90 points, plus the longest train bonus and everyone else would get negative points for uncompleted tickets. Oh, and the cards in the original TtR are small and most people didn't like them. The expansion includes reprints of all the base cards, plus the extra routes.

My wife loves Dominion, but don't count out Power Grid, Carcassonne, or 7 Wonders. Those three aren't geeky thematic like the others.

Well, my wife is in school right now (completed her LPN in December, continuing on for her RN), so I quite a bit of free time that I fill by reading and playing games.

Blog Entries

We have Carcassonne, but it's taken a while to really get into that game and develop a strategy. When do I build a farm? Will anyone around me complete their city? That kind of thing. But it is fun.

I'm debating on getting the 1912 expansion for the TtR:Europe game that we have. I've read that not only are there more destination cards, but also a separate kind of game with it (I'm probably reading this wrong) that would allow variants on the current gameplay. I got whooped up on pretty good the last time we played, though, so I really need to up my game.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    LOL You do know what wifeys first name is dontcha
    Yeah, that's what got me thinking.....
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I can't believe all the salty nooblers aren't all over this one!
    Holy crap! It's usually the other way around.....
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Board games? More like bored games...see what I did there?

A buddy of mine and myself have lunch once a week to bs. Then we head to one of 4 local B&M, pick out a never tried stick before and play a game of chess. Pretty cool and something to look forward to. I also like first person shooters on the 360. Playing battlefield presently.

11. Default

Is cribbage a board game? You need a board. Like all Navy Chiefs, I'm good at it too. My wife, unfortunately, is better.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Thread Information