Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting another "Cigar Night" at my new base

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't know which units because there are several there. We've got Marines, Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and even some UK troops (Royal Navy and Royal Marine Commandos).

I haven't had the time to find out because I'm standing up comms on a new base and spending most of my time either on the phone or configuring switches and routers ..... and lots of 25 hour days.

And if you don't want to read my posts ..... well, then don't.

You seam to have plenty of time to post on the net.
    I think your full of shit.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

I'll be honest, I don't know which units because there are several there. We've got Marines, Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and even some UK troops (Royal Navy and Royal Marine Commandos).

I haven't had the time to find out because I'm standing up comms on a new base and spending most of my time either on the phone or configuring switches and routers ..... and lots of 25 hour days.

And if you don't want to read my posts ..... well, then don't.
    So you're being honest now?

...I haven't had the time to find out because I'm standing up comms on a new base and spending most of my time either on the phone or configuring switches and routers ..... and lots of 25 hour days...
    25 hour days don't lend well for many "Cigar Nights" at the new base...

For me, I don't see any issue with supporting both troops and contractors. Though the former may not have as good a deal going as the latter, both are integral to the successful completion of the mission and both are doing jobs that I neither can nor would want to. I'll happily by either group a beer and good cigar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    For me, I don't see any issue with supporting both troops and contractors. Though the former may not have as good a deal going as the latter, both are integral to the successful completion of the mission and both are doing jobs that I neither can nor would want to. I'll happily by either group a beer and good cigar
    This wasn't about the importance of contractors and the role they play in the "completion of the mission".

This guy wreaks of sour bullshit...

I'm just sayin'.....

If he wanted to be a good guy, he woulda started a cigar for the troops himself after seeing the example K7 did... Not hard to do folks... I've even done a few passes from here, and lots of people might of jumped at the chance to help him organize it, had he started the thread posting his intentions and a plan, not asking for hand outs and having everyone else do the work....
    Last edited by Roham; 05-08-2010 at 02:41 AM.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    This wasn't about the importance of contractors and the role they play in the "completion of the mission".
    That's a fair criticism. My post was pure philosophical and not intended to be a defense or commentary on Kris' responses and subsequent controversy.

Stinks here

Oh for fucks sake, people. I didn't ask for a hand out, I just asked for info ...... there's a big difference.

Fuck it, I give up. No one has taken the time to read what I posted and wants to believe I'm trying to get free cigars ..... so believe what you want. I'm just trying to start a good thing here, so I'll continue with trying to make it a success.

You guys have a good one.

Oh for fucks sake, people. I didn't ask for a hand out, I just asked for info ...... there's a big difference.

Fuck it, I give up. No one has taken the time to read what I posted and wants to believe I'm trying to get free cigars ..... so believe what you want. I'm just trying to start a good thing here, so I'll continue with trying to make it a success.

You guys have a good one.
    I think where the issue has come is that there were a lot of guys here that thought you were still an active duty fighting man over there. I now understand that you are a contractor but myself I had believed that you were still an active duty Marine stationed in Iraq. I never bothered to look at your profile so that is a bit on me, however your intro on the forum never mentions that you are now a private contractor it just mentions you are in Iraq, that coupled with your screen name certainly added to the confusion and misconception. I could tell by posts of other, certainly Shane, that others believed you were active duty as well and you from what I saw did not do anything to change that for them. I think it may seem to people that this was on purpose. Now it may or may not have been the only guy who knows that is you. My thoughts now is that you just need to post a slightly better intro maybe and say I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

As far as this cigar night thing was concerned I think the simple act of posting a thread was what set people off really, it came across to me as if you were going to do a cigar for the troops type thing and then have them sent to the guys that you associate with where you are located. When you look at that it sort of seems you are trying to get free cigars for a night that you will participate in and thus enjoy some donated cigars yourself. Now while I respect what you are doing in Iraq as a contractor it does leave a bad taste in some mouths to believe that you are asking for smokes for a cigars for the troops that you will take part in. IMO it would be in poor taste for an active duty Marine to ask for smokes to be donated to his unit in Iraq, not because he doesn't deserve it but because I have more respect for the guys here to believe that they try to help take care of our fighting men overseas without the request.

It would have been better if you had just sent Kevin a PM asking him for information for how he did his as you knew he ran one.

Like I said my suggestion now is for you to just lay it all out and apologize for any misconceptions.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

prophetic_joe

If i spent a week trying to explain why it bothered me i could not have put it better.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

I really do agree, there was some misconception, and misunderstanding that happened here, but instead of saying Sorry, I didn't realize you thought that way, you instead got real defensive.

I think an apology would be a great next step, but that is just IMO.

Keith

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

And change the screen name to contractorone

Blog Entries

I had refrained from posting in this thread because I knew that people who used common sense would chime in. IMO, this is all one big headache and reminds me of the "FARK" days.

Speaking of common sense, I find it worthless to ask for an apology from someone who did not have the common sense to begin with to know that it was warranted.

Be a man and let your balls drop already, if you fucked up, you fucked up. Acknowledge it and move on. I respect a man that openly realizes his mistakes as opposed to beat around the bush like a little bitch whinning all the way back under a rock

Thread Information