Thread: Starting another "Cigar Night" at my new base

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    The thing that pissed me off was this post because it was totally uncalled for. Ken, I apologize for flaming you .... I was so pissed that it set me off the deep end and I wasn't seeing clearly.

There are a couple of guys that have sent me cigars, and a couple I've done trades with .... which is why I posted about the address change. The post office at the previous base has shut down, and they don't do "change of address" forms out here like in the States. Any misrouted mail goes all the way back down to Kuwait before being resent which means being in a connex for up to a month and ruining anything sent.

As for the "Cigar Night" project I made it clear I don't want anyone to send me cigars for it .... I just wanted information. Someone either doesn't understand that, or can't separate between me personally and me trying to do something good here for the troops.

So how about this .... to anyone wanting to send me cigars, I appreciate it but please don't. I know there is one guy in particular that has PM'ed me, and I'll send him a note not to send it now. I don't want anyone to think that I'm hustling the members for free cigars for myself. From now on I'll stick with trades because I plan on being here in Iraq for a while, and at least a year or two in Afghanistan.

Kris
    Well, Ken can address your apology to him.

Now, as for the "someone" who doesn't understand........I can see where there would have been some confusion. I think any misconceptions have pretty much been eliminated now.

Did you forward the contacts that George gave you to the Chaplain? For what unit are you working on arranging packages?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Well, Ken can address your apology to him.

Now, as for the "someone" who doesn't understand........I can see where there would have been some confusion. I think any misconceptions have pretty much been eliminated now.

Did you forward the contacts that George gave you to the Chaplain? For what unit are you working on arranging packages?

Good post...Good questions.

I've passed the info to the Chaplain, and he's very grateful .... so thanks for giving me that info and the e-mail addresses. He's so excited that he's going to print flyers and asked the Mayor Cell (controls the rules on the base) for a designated smoking area in front of the Chapel and have some benchs made for troops to sit on.

What pissed me off was the assumption that I was trying to get free cigars when I made it clear all I wanted was info. Either some folks on here jumped the gun and assumed I wanted free cigars, or didn't completely read my posts on this. Either way, I got the info I wanted ... I'm happy, the Chaplain is happy, and he's got about 2 dozen troops ready to hear more good news.

Next payday I'm going to get them a decent humidor and fill it until the free cigars make it out here, so it solves the storage problem and starts it off nicely.

So to everyone that helped me with the info, I want to say thank you. You've made some folks out here really happy.

I'd also like to say thank you to those that couldn't help with info but made posts anyway. It kept the thread alive long enough to get me the info I needed to pass on to the Chaplain.

Kris

Blog Entries

I've passed the info to the Chaplain, and he's very grateful .... so thanks for giving me that info and the e-mail addresses. He's so excited that he's going to print flyers and asked the Mayor Cell (controls the rules on the base) for a designated smoking area in front of the Chapel and have some benchs made for troops to sit on.
    What unit? A simple question you seem unable, or unwilling, to answer.

What pissed me off was the assumption that I was trying to get free cigars when I made it clear all I wanted was info. Either some folks on here jumped the gun and assumed I wanted free cigars, or didn't completely read my posts on this. Either way, I got the info I wanted ... I'm happy, the Chaplain is happy, and he's got about 2 dozen troops ready to hear more good news.
    lmao, funny. Again, what unit do these happy troops belong to?

Next payday I'm going to get them a decent humidor and fill it until the free cigars make it out here, so it solves the storage problem and starts it off nicely.
    Toot.....Tooot.....Toooooooot.

So to everyone that helped me with the info, I want to say thank you. You've made some folks out here really happy.

I'd also like to say thank you to those that couldn't help with info but made posts anyway. It kept the thread alive long enough to get me the info I needed to pass on to the Chaplain.

Kris
    Which folks? Wouldn't it be a great thing for these helpful people to know exactly who they have helped?

I've read more of your posts than I care to admit. I think I understand most things I read. Did you tell the cigar rep you were a contractor? Or did you just say thank you for the cigars he thought he was donating to the troops?

In my opinion, you have not made it clear in your posts that you are NOT a deployed US service member. I have to ask myself why that would be......looks as if others are doing the same.

It's also interesting that you're happy now, since you've reached the ends you say you desired. We'll see how that goes for ya.

I'll be honest, I don't know which units because there are several there. We've got Marines, Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and even some UK troops (Royal Navy and Royal Marine Commandos).

I haven't had the time to find out because I'm standing up comms on a new base and spending most of my time either on the phone or configuring switches and routers ..... and lots of 25 hour days.

And if you don't want to read my posts ..... well, then don't.

I'll be honest, I don't know which units because there are several there. We've got Marines, Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and even some UK troops (Royal Navy and Royal Marine Commandos).

I haven't had the time to find out because I'm standing up comms on a new base and spending most of my time either on the phone or configuring switches and routers ..... and lots of 25 hour days.

You seam to have plenty of time to post on the net.
    I think your full of shit.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

So you're being honest now?

...I haven't had the time to find out because I'm standing up comms on a new base and spending most of my time either on the phone or configuring switches and routers ..... and lots of 25 hour days...
    25 hour days don't lend well for many "Cigar Nights" at the new base...

For me, I don't see any issue with supporting both troops and contractors. Though the former may not have as good a deal going as the latter, both are integral to the successful completion of the mission and both are doing jobs that I neither can nor would want to. I'll happily by either group a beer and good cigar

This guy wreaks of sour bullshit...

I'm just sayin'.....

If he wanted to be a good guy, he woulda started a cigar for the troops himself after seeing the example K7 did... Not hard to do folks... I've even done a few passes from here, and lots of people might of jumped at the chance to help him organize it, had he started the thread posting his intentions and a plan, not asking for hand outs and having everyone else do the work....
    Last edited by Roham; 05-08-2010 at 02:41 AM.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Thread Information