Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xikar Hygrometer/Thermometer Issue

Default Xikar Hygrometer/Thermometer Issue

So I've got a really weird issue with my hygrometer and I was curious if anyone has had this happen to them before. Before I get into this, I am NOT asking what I should do with this. I know Xikar's reputation and warranty so I plan on mailing it in. I know that I will be mailing it in to them and getting a replacement.

Anyway, the hygrometer portion of it is working fine. I tested out the calibration on it and it was perfect. The thermometer is reading some really crazy readings. Right now it says that it is 70% RH and 178 degrees F. This morning it was reading 196 degrees F. Now I know that I'm cheap and am still not running my AC in the house but it is only 75 degrees F in my house. Anyone deal with this before? Regardless it is still going back to Xikar later this week.

Quit flying so close to the sun, Icarus...

take it apart and see if you can fix it!!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I knew that had something to do with it! Next time I need to bring my travel humi!

And Dauker... no

Hit it with a hammer !
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

6. Default

Salt test it in a jar of cat urine
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Salt test it in a jar of cat urine
    Didn't think of that

I wonder if that would void the warrenty from Xikar... if only someone had a post that discussed the Xikar warranty. hmmmm

ilikefishes Guest

That really sucks. I really like the way their stuff looks, very asthetically pleasing. But, most of it sucks IMHO. I got their knife that has a cigar cutter built in. It worked for about 3 sticks and then started shredding the cigar. So, I went back to carrying around my little freebie. Still works after more than 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikefishes View Post
    That really sucks. I really like the way their stuff looks, very asthetically pleasing. But, most of it sucks IMHO. I got their knife that has a cigar cutter built in. It worked for about 3 sticks and then started shredding the cigar. So, I went back to carrying around my little freebie. Still works after more than 8 years.
    You've had a bad experience with one of their kinves - and now that leads to the conclusion that "most of it sucks"?

Hmmmm......

ilikefishes Guest

You've had a bad experience with one of their kinves - and now that leads to the conclusion that "most of it sucks"?

Hmmmm......
    God no, I have had problems with a few of their products. I have had friends have problems with their products and I was just giving one, single, solitary example of my most recent problem. I am learning to be more thorough in my postings on this board. I did not mean to offend you if you are a Xicar lover. I was just adding my $.02!

God no, I have had problems with a few of their products. I have had friends have problems with their products and I was just giving one, single, solitary example of my most recent problem. I am learning to be more thorough in my postings on this board. I did not mean to offend you if you are a Xicar lover. I was just adding my $.02!
    Fishy - It goes to giving an honest and FAIR shake for any vendor. Are you not for doing that?

Last I heard - Xikar was still very much about customer service and repairing/replacing items that did not work as expected. I've heard some pretty incredible stories about repairing and replacing their product at the hands of some pretty incredible abuses. Even in Icarus' case - he had a cutter that broke and he took it apart in some crazy scheme to attempt to fix it. Do you know any other manufacturer that will repair or replace a cutter that the consumer has taken taken apart? ...no questions asked? ...for the LIFETIME of the product???

If Xikar's policies have changed - we definitely all need to hear about it! Quite a few members have Xikar products - changes to their policies would have an obvious affect for the rest of us. We'd love to hear examples of what it is you're having issues with - and what Xikar did or would not do to correct the problem. If Xikar is slipping - we'd love to hear it. If they're not - we'd love to hear about it too.

You and your "friends" - what happened to your Xikar "products". And - have you contacted Xikar and asked them for repair or replacement of the "problems" you're having with their products? What did they do or not do? We'd really love to hear your stories!

And - no - I have no stake in Xikar, other than owning some of their cutters. My experiences with them have been very good - apparently polar opposite to your experiences. No offense on my side. ...but I am concerned we may have a new member that's not fair minded...
    Last edited by ggiese; 05-09-2010 at 08:10 AM.

ilikefishes Guest

Fishy - It goes to giving an honest and FAIR shake for any vendor. Are you not for doing that?

Last I heard - Xikar was still very much about customer service and repairing/replacing items that did not work as expected. I've heard some pretty incredible stories about repairing and replacing their product at the hands of some pretty incredible abuses. Even in Icarus' case - he had a cutter that broke and he took it apart in some crazy scheme to attempt to fix it. Do you know any other manufacturer that will repair or replace a cutter that the consumer has taken taken apart? ...no questions asked? ...for the LIFETIME of the product???

If Xikar's policies have changed - we definitely all need to hear about it! Quite a few members have Xikar products - changes to their policies would have an obvious affect for the rest of us. We'd love to hear examples of what it is you're having issues with - and what Xikar did or would not do to correct the problem. If Xikar is slipping - we'd love to hear it. If they're not - we'd love to hear about it too.

You and your "friends" - what happened to your Xikar "products". And - have you contacted Xikar and asked them for repair or replacement of the "problems" you're having with their products? What did they do or not do? We'd really love to hear your stories!

And - no - I have no stake in Xikar, other than owning some of their cutters. My experiences with them have been very good - apparently polar opposite to your experiences. No offense on my side. ...but I am concerned we may have a new member that's not fair minded...
    Understood.
    The fact is that even if you stand behind a product for the lifetime of the product, it the breakage or defects are numerous, does it make it quality. I have had people have problems with their cutters, my knife and the knife I bought with it for a friend both are just that, a knife. I understand that you have the right to call me out. I am fine with that. I am one of the most "fair minded" people you will find. This reminds me of the Tommy Boy movie and the "guaranteed piece of shit" line. A lifetime guarantee usually implies to me that you are not making a quality product for sale.
    In the fly fishing industry there is nobody that has a better warranty than Orvis. But their product is also one of the worst on the market accross the board. So you can buy a new fly rod from them for $695.00 and know that you will get a few good trips out of it until you have problems. Then you can send the product back to them and they will send you a replacement that you can go and fish a few more trips. Eventually you are going to break it at a time that is not good, on a trip to Alaska is a great example.
    What good is the cutter to Daigz if he can't use it? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am just simply saying that Xikar is not for me. I have spent money on their products and have been relatively happy with them. Like I said in my original post, they look amazing. Their lines and design are incredible. But I choose function over form and if it is not working I don't need it. Looking on this board I saw more stories of Xikar broken than all other accessory companies combined. You sir are welcome to continue to influx their company with your hard earned cash, I simply would like to spend my money on sticks.
    I hope I have explained my position well.

Understood.
    The fact is that even if you stand behind a product for the lifetime of the product, it the breakage or defects are numerous, does it make it quality. I have had people have problems with their cutters, my knife and the knife I bought with it for a friend both are just that, a knife. I understand that you have the right to call me out. I am fine with that. I am one of the most "fair minded" people you will find. This reminds me of the Tommy Boy movie and the "guaranteed piece of shit" line. A lifetime guarantee usually implies to me that you are not making a quality product for sale.
    In the fly fishing industry there is nobody that has a better warranty than Orvis. But their product is also one of the worst on the market accross the board. So you can buy a new fly rod from them for $695.00 and know that you will get a few good trips out of it until you have problems. Then you can send the product back to them and they will send you a replacement that you can go and fish a few more trips. Eventually you are going to break it at a time that is not good, on a trip to Alaska is a great example.
    What good is the cutter to Daigz if he can't use it? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am just simply saying that Xikar is not for me. I have spent money on their products and have been relatively happy with them. Like I said in my original post, they look amazing. Their lines and design are incredible. But I choose function over form and if it is not working I don't need it. Looking on this board I saw more stories of Xikar broken than all other accessory companies combined. You sir are welcome to continue to influx their company with your hard earned cash, I simply would like to spend my money on sticks.
    I hope I have explained my position well.
    Fishy - Interesting view.

...but you've not explained your position very well at all. I'm even more confused than before.

Is it possible for you to prove any part of your argument with facts?

...and Daigz was not complaining about a broken Xikar cutter - I believe he was concerned about his Hygrometer (i.e. measuring rH).

ilikefishes Guest

Fishy - Interesting view.

...but you've not explained your position very well at all. I'm even more confused than before.

Is it possible for you to prove any part of your argument with facts?

...and Daigz was not complaining about a broken Xikar cutter - I believe he was concerned about his Hygrometer (i.e. measuring rH).
    OK, I will try and be more succinct. I don't care for a company and I have my right to say so. I have two (2) friends who own cigar shops. They are both in agreement as I spoke with them on the phone today that yes, Xikar is one of the best to deal with in customer service. They also confirmed that they deal with Xikar problems more than any other vendor they have. That tells me that they are making an inferior product. When your failure rate is higher than the industry average, then you are not doing something right.
    Is is great that Daigz can get his Hygrometer fixed? Yes, should he and all the others that have problems with their products continue to support Xikar, that is their choice. I simply stated that I did not like their products and yes that the 6-10 products of theirs that I have owned or a friend has purchased had a higher failure rate than other comparative products. I will refrain from posting my own perceptions or feelings until I have posted more and then I won't be attacked.

You are well within your rights to do what you are doing, I am not a troll, I am not someone who wants to bring Xikar down, and I am not someone who wants to start anything with other members on this board. I am someone who wants to meet interesting people who share a common interest.
    Can I ask you to defend the position you are taking? Why do you feel it necessary to call me out and question my feelings? Is this something you do on a regular basis? If so, I will refrain from engaging with you in the future, thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries

Ya know, I don't know what everyone's doing with their cutters, but I've had my Xikar for about 3-4 years now, cut thousands of friggin cigars, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, etc. and I've not had any problems yet. If I had to send it back once every 5 years, I don't think that makes it a piece of junk.

ilikefishes, if you're going to be standoffish with everyone that disagrees with you, you're not going to have a long run here. It's a shame too because besides if you've been smoking for umpteen years, there is a wealth of great information on this board.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

ilikefishes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Ya know, I don't know what everyone's doing with their cutters, but I've had my Xikar for about 3-4 years now, cut thousands of friggin cigars, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, etc. and I've not had any problems yet. If I had to send it back once every 5 years, I don't think that makes it a piece of junk.

ilikefishes, if you're going to be standoffish with everyone that disagrees with you, you're not going to have a long run here. It's a shame too because besides if you've been smoking for umpteen years, there is a wealth of great information on this board.

Will
    I am not trying to be standoffish. I am simply stating an opinion and being attacked for my such. As I have stated previously, I will refrain from giving my opinions in the future until I have some more posts and credibility. Again, I am sorry if I offended you Badwhale or anyone else for that matter. Xikar does make good products and I am sure that if you take care of them they will last a lifetime.

Blog Entries

I am not trying to be standoffish. I am simply stating an opinion and being attacked for my such. As I have stated previously, I will refrain from giving my opinions in the future until I have some more posts and credibility. Again, I am sorry if I offended you Badwhale or anyone else for that matter. Xikar does make good products and I am sure that if you take care of them they will last a lifetime.
    I'm not offended. I could give a shit that someone doesn't like Xikar.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

18. Default

You guys are so lucky to have george as a member. I'll bet there ain't ten cops in the world who know about Icarus.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

No need to get all butt-hurt about it. You can say anything you want here, you just have to be prepared to own it.

Could more warranty service requests for Xikar be experienced by your pals because more of them are sold? And the warranty lasts for life?

Oh, and I could give a fuck about Xikar either....I use a $4 cheapy.

ilikefishes Guest

Default Re: Xikar Hygrometer/Thermometer Issue

Yes, that is a very valid point. Plus they do look so cool that they tend to gravitate toward that line. I can't say that many of the problems were ever questioned by them. They are not the type to send something back, just go try something else. My knife was basically a great idea that can't work because the angle of the edge is so precise to cut a cigar. I will be asking them about it though. If they still have the devices, they will call Xikar.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thread Information