Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: THE Newbie Sampler Thread V

Blog Entries

I'd feel abused.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Personally, I don't think you should be continuing to use the newb sampler thread to do these trades. If you wish to trade with the members to broaden your horizons, do it through PM or whatever. The intention of this thread is to assist newbies.
    I hear you, and this will be my 3rd and last sampler. But other than an odd cigar every few years, I've only been smoking cigars regularly since April, a whopping 8 full months. Certainly more experienced than some, but by most measures and inferences on this board, still newbish.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I'd feel abused.
    LOL, I hope that was sarcasm. Certainly not my intent.
    Last edited by hed; 12-04-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Restoring an edited comment. Sorry for any confusion.
    "I took the liberty of... bullshitting you; okay?" ~Elwood
    "You lied to me man!" ~Jake
    "It wasn't lies; it was just... bullshit." ~Elwood

Blog Entries

No, it wasn't sarcasm. This has been discussed before, and two samplers was/is allowed. Sometimes people don't have enough money at one point to do the sampler that they wanted initially, etc.

AFAIK, all the sponsors are exactly that - sponsors. The payment doesn't cover what the sponsor paid for the cigars. Why should someone repeatedly benefit?

Please note that I am not saying that your intent was to abuse the process.

If Cigarbear wants to do a third newbie sampler with you, then that's between you and him. I would not do a third sampler with anyone under the 'newbie sampler' program. An open trade for an assortment offered in the buy/sell forum would be the way to go, IMO.

ETA: I wish the mobile skin had a quote function. Hed edited out the part of his previous post that I was replying to. It was something to the effect that he hoped that I was being sarcastic in my post before his.
    Last edited by craig; 12-04-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    No, it wasn't sarcasm. This has been discussed before, and two samplers was/is allowed. Sometimes people don't have enough money at one point to do the sampler that they wanted initially, etc.
    My bad, I wasn't aware of, nor have I searched for that discussion. Personally, I didn't think three samplers were anything to be concerned about, but I'm rarely accused of being the sharpest tack in the box. Paddy and Cigarbear knew/know of my past deal(s). Cigarbear can back out of the deal if he likes; no hard feelings. Money is a huge issue with me too, and the samplers have helped me save a lot of money and build a shopping list while minimizing the expense of buying turds.

AFAIK, all the sponsors are exactly that - sponsors. The payment doesn't cover what the sponsor paid for the cigars. Why should someone repeatedly benefit?
    I have to admit, the guys have been very generous with the samplers they sent me, and I appreciate it. But I have not asked for, nor expect anything beyond what I've been willing to pay for.

Please note that I am not saying that your intent was to abuse the process. ...An open trade for an assortment offered in the buy/sell forum would be the way to go, IMO.
    So noted.

ETA: I wish the mobile skin had a quote function. Hed edited out the part of his previous post that I was replying to. It was something to the effect that he hoped that I was being sarcastic in my post before his.
    Sorry about that dude. I was (mistakenly) certain your comment was sarcasm, so I edited it from my post. I restored it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hed View Post
    My bad, I wasn't aware of, nor have I searched for that discussion. Personally, I didn't think three samplers were anything to be concerned about, but I'm rarely accused of being the sharpest tack in the box. Paddy and Cigarbear knew/know of my past deal(s). Cigarbear can back out of the deal if he likes; no hard feelings. Money is a huge issue with me too, and the samplers have helped me save a lot of money and build a shopping list while minimizing the expense of buying turds.

snip....
    Continued participation on the board, and the posts on it, will do the same thing for you, and leave the newb thread to do what it's intended to do.

Rusty18 received his sampler. This is done. Hope you enjoy them.

Cigarbear----- now up
    EGQ ----------on deck
    Paddy -----in the dugout
    logan37----- oiling his mitt
    ashauler------- washing towels

Canadian Sponsors
    craig---Now up
    drew_goring---in the drive-thru line at Timmie's

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Rusty18 received his sampler. This is done. Hope you enjoy them.

Cigarbear----- now up
    EGQ ----------on deck
    Paddy -----in the dugout

Canadian Sponsors
    craig---Now up
    Shit....I kind of jumped ahead with tommytree with out thinking about the newb thread.
    I hope no one minds.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

... Money is a huge issue with me too, and the samplers have helped me save a lot of money and build a shopping list while minimizing the expense of buying turds.

I have to admit, the guys have been very generous with the samplers they sent me, and I appreciate it. But I have not asked for, nor expect anything beyond what I've been willing to pay for.

IMO this makes you sound like an asshole. When I have money issues, I don't buy fucking cigars. It sounds like you know you will get hooked up so you intend to use the board as your retail shop. I bet if you had to pay MSRP, you wouldn't be doing this a third time. The purpose of this thread is not to save money.

Something in the works with Tommytree

Cigarbear----- now up
    EGQ ----------on deck
    Paddy ----- Cuts to the front of the line like a douchnozzle

Canadian Sponsors
    craig---Now up
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

10. Default

My end is at the post office. You guys are so accommodating to new guys; I don't know why you get so many complaints. I guess it helps that I don't have a friend of a cousin working at the Cohiba factory.

Thanks, Paddy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTree View Post
    My end is at the post office. You guys are so accommodating to new guys; I don't know why you get so many complaints. I guess it helps that I don't have a friend of a cousin working at the Cohiba factory.

Thanks, Paddy.
    We get complaints?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    We get complaints?
    Well, I guess that always could have been Julia's way of flirting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Shit....I kind of jumped ahead with tommytree with out thinking about the newb thread.
    I hope no one minds.
    I don't think you jumped ahead. You were nominated.

Out the door !
    DC# 0311 1660 0002 4735 3200
    ~ Gerry Adams

15. Default

Delivery in two days?! I didn't know that was possible at Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer View Post
    IMO this makes you sound like an asshole.
    That I am, and then some; it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to read the title under my screen-name.

When I have money issues, I don't buy fucking cigars.
    Now that's some sound financial advice; wish I'd thought of that. Since getting my arm lopped off seven years ago, I haven't been able to partake in any of the activities I once enjoyed. Adding a decent cigar to my bourbon and television has made my life just a bit less dismal. Even if it does tax my newly shitty income, for me, it is a necessity.

It sounds like you know you will get hooked up so you intend to use the board as your retail shop. I bet if you had to pay MSRP, you wouldn't be doing this a third time.
    I've never asked for, nor expected, anything other than what I've been willing to pay for. I don't even allow my family to send me gifts or visit because it makes me uncomfortable. Whether or not the sponsors choose to include shipping or taxes they've paid is their prerogative. Prior to these samplers, I bought retail, and will continue to do so from now on. Being an asshole doesn't make me a thief or a mooch, and IMO, that makes you a piece of shit for implying that I am either.

The purpose of this thread is not to save money.
    I mostly agree, but to a certain extent, I disagree. As I understand it, the purpose of this thread is to expose and educate newbs to decent cigars that would otherwise take many months, un-proportional numbers of dog-rockets, and an ass-load of money to discover on their own. After the first two samplers, my tastes have evolved. And as my former cigarette cravings have subsided, I've reached the conclusion that I get more satisfaction from smoking a quality cigar every 2-3 days as opposed to smoking multiple cheap cigars every day. My thought process behind this final sampler was to focus on sticks that fit within my new smoking preference and budget. So, from that perspective, this thread does save me and other newbs money by introducing us to smokes that we feel comfortable buying retail without concern of wasting money on a box full of crap.

Since this has caused so much debate, I recommend that someone amend the rules accordingly and get the fuck off my back.

hed, your defensiveness, justifications, and excuses are making things only worse for yourself. You don't get to say what the newbie sampler is for, you didn't make it and you're not a sponsor. Folks called you out on something; accept it and move on. You may not have intended to go against what the thread is about; mistakes and misunderstandings happen. But now, you're reacting intentionally--and not in a productive way for yourself.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Blog Entries

That I am, and then some; it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to read the title under my screen-name.
    Whipee, so you're an asshole. Not rare, nor an endangered species to my knowledge, so that doesn't make you special.

Now that's some sound financial advice; wish I'd thought of that. Since getting my arm lopped off seven years ago, I haven't been able to partake in any of the activities I once enjoyed. Adding a decent cigar to my bourbon and television has made my life just a bit less dismal. Even if it does tax my newly shitty income, for me, it is a necessity.
    Sorry for your accident and it's consequences, that must indeed be a bitch. Irrelevant to this discussion, and perhaps an attempt at sympathy or whatever, but a bitch none the less.

I've never asked for, nor expected, anything other than what I've been willing to pay for. I don't even allow my family to send me gifts or visit because it makes me uncomfortable. Whether or not the sponsors choose to include shipping or taxes they've paid is their prerogative. Prior to these samplers, I bought retail, and will continue to do so from now on. Being an asshole doesn't make me a thief or a mooch, and IMO, that makes you a piece of shit for implying that I am either.
    Well, please explain to me then what the incentive would be to use the newbie sampler thread to conduct your trades as opposed to arranging a private trade through PM with any experienced member of the board. You could have posted an ISO in the exchange for a budget smokes sampler or whatever. LOL, but I probably would have taken you up on it. Those that know me well know that I'm a budget smoke hound.

I mostly agree, but to a certain extent, I disagree. As I understand it, the purpose of this thread is to expose and educate newbs to decent cigars that would otherwise take many months, un-proportional numbers of dog-rockets, and an ass-load of money to discover on their own. After the first two samplers, my tastes have evolved. And as my former cigarette cravings have subsided, I've reached the conclusion that I get more satisfaction from smoking a quality cigar every 2-3 days as opposed to smoking multiple cheap cigars every day. My thought process behind this final sampler was to focus on sticks that fit within my new smoking preference and budget. So, from that perspective, this thread does save me and other newbs money by introducing us to smokes that we feel comfortable buying retail without concern of wasting money on a box full of crap.
    The bolded part is the purpose of the thread. The part about saving money, getting more than you pay for, shipping included, blah...blah...blah...is a demonstration of the generosity of the sponsors and serves as a kind of "welcome to the board" (at least that's how I look at it). If I did a sampler with you for, say $50, would you expect $45 worth of cigars at retail so that the shipping would be on you? If that is what you're trying to make us believe you expect when dealing in this thread.....well, I ain't buying it. Sorry. Again, offer me some kind of rational explanation for your repeated return to this thread for your trades? Other than the fantastic deals you get, that is.

Since this has caused so much debate, I recommend that someone amend the rules accordingly and get the fuck off my back.
    I don't see any debate. Further, as with the general tenor of this board, the rules are few and plainly stated. I'm not gonna change the rules of the thread because of your actions. Sorry, I don't attribute your actions to some kind of confusion about the rules. Most things relating to personal conduct, use/abuse of the forum, etiquette and that kind of shit are left to common sense and the sense of brotherhood and community we should all want to feel here.

In closing, it's kinda funny that for such a self-admitted asshole, your skin is kinda thin.

Have a wonderful day!

hed, Please slow your roll down here, your going to cross a line from which there is no return'
    ~ Gerry Adams

I finally got hed's end out the door. DC# pm'd! Am I the only one for whom Xmas has come from nowhere? Maybe it was all the running...

EGQ----- now up
    logan37----------on deck
    ashauler ----- in the dugout
    Cigarbear----- oiling his mitt
    Paddy------- washing towels

Canadian Sponsors
    craig---Now up

Thread Information