Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Contest!

Blog Entries

Default World Cup Contest!

CANCELED FOR LACK OF INTEREST

Ok people! It's on! I am so excited about the World Cup beginning on June 11 that I can hardly contain myself! I have decided to put together a little contest / competition on the board. I got the idea from a friend and I have tailored it a little bit.

Here we go:

First you need to get familiar with the game schedule. It is easily found on the FIFA website. The contest itself is very simple.

Each player gets to pick the team they think will win each match. If you pick correctly, you get 1 point. It is optional to also guess what the outcome will be. For example, the first match is Mexico vs. South Africa. I can pick Mexico as the winning team AND predict that they will win by 2 goals. So, if the final score is 3-1 (Mexico), I get 1 point for picking the winning team and 1 point for guessing the spread. Simple as that. You get no points for choosing the losing team or if the spread is wrong.

If you see the schedule, you will notice that the teams are divided into groups. These groups are ideantified as A-H with four teams per group. You also have the option of choosing which team you think will end up in the #1 spot of that group after all games are played. If you choose correctly, you get 3 points. NOTE: You must choose your team BEFORE the first match of that group is played or it will be invalid.

The contest keeps going in the same way after the first round with the exception that there will be no more groups (see the schedule on the fifa website). After the first round though, you may pick the team you think will win the whole enchilada. If you choose correctly, you get 5 points added in the end. If you choose to participate in picking the World Champion, you must post your pick BEFORE midnight CST June 25.

So, rules in summary:

Pick each winning team = 1 pt.
    Pick the spread of each game = 1 pt.
    Pick the Winner of each group = 3 pts.
    Pick the Champion after the first round = 5 pts.

NOTE: Edits to your posts will render your choices invalid and no points will be awarded.

The prize:

Each participant submits 5 cigars. To keep this fun and inexpensive, each cigar has to be a minimum of $3.00. Please post your puts. Cigars must be sent to me before June 10. I will keep them all together is a cooledor until the end of the tournament and a winner is determined. Winner gets all. I will incur the cost of shipping the prize to the winner.

Participants:

Any member in good standing who has a minimum of 100 posts by June 10th and has had recent activity within the last 30 days.

A list of participants and their scores will be kept on this post and updated after every game. This should be a fun and LONG contest. I am open to any questions or suggestions you might have or if any senior members believe that someone else should be in charge of this, thats cool too. The more people that participate in this, the larger the prize and the closer the competition. Let the Sign-Up begin!

Nelson

CANCELED FOR LACK OF INTEREST
    Last edited by ndv21; 06-04-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Contest Cancelled

2. Default

What if you pick the loser but get the spread right? There shouldn't be any points on that since you actually miss the spread by double.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    ... snip....You get no points for choosing the losing team or if the spread is wrong. ....snip
    If you pick the losing team you get no points period. If your team loses, then the spread is invalid.

I'm thinking this might be a tough sell Nelson.
    I don't know how many football fans we have here.
    But hey, It it takes off, Im in.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I'm thinking this might be a tough sell Nelson.
    I don't know how many football fans we have here.
    But hey, It it takes off, Im in.
    Agreed. It's too many games to pick in a sport no one cares about and you gotta wait a month for the pay off. Find a way to make it a shorter contest and you'll get some takers.

6. Default

Hundred posts, huh. I should have that by the next World Cup. Can't wait.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Contest Canceled. OP updated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D_M_S View Post
    Agreed. It's too many games to pick in a sport no one cares about and you gotta wait a month for the pay off. Find a way to make it a shorter contest and you'll get some takers.
    If you don't care about the sport thats fine, but don't assume that no one cares about it. For someone who doesn't care about the sport and does not qualify as a participant, you seem to show a lot of interest in this thread. Advice (as you should have seen in many places on the board): "Read more, post less"

Along the same lines, there are contests and passes that take place in this community that take a month or longer to complete. Members that participate in contests and passes rarely do so for your so called "pay-off". This is not the stock market or a brokerage firm, we invest in our mutual friendship and camaraderie.

By the way, how's your trade doing?

A sport no one cares about !!!
    I beg to differ, My post to Nelson was that as citizens of countries where football is huge, Nelson & I would find great pleasure in this contest. Football is huge in almost every corner of the world.
    Except the United States. Take it from someone who has made his share of mistakes on this forum. Slow down kid !
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

If you don't care about the sport thats fine, but don't assume that no one cares about it. For someone who doesn't care about the sport and does not qualify as a participant, you seem to show a lot of interest in this thread. Advice (as you should have seen in many places on the board): "Read more, post less"

Along the same lines, there are contests and passes that take place in this community that take a month or longer to complete. Members that participate in contests and passes rarely do so for your so called "pay-off". This is not the stock market or a brokerage firm, we invest in our mutual friendship and camaraderie.
    I would have participated in this if I weren't so busy this summer. I don't know much about soccer, but I would have given my best shot because in the end, it isn't about winning the contest, it is about having fun with some friends... and when having fun, I don't get squirrelly when it lasts longer than a month. The PPP takes a long time, and it doesn't matter at all - and I think that everyone participating in that contest is not so interested in getting the prize... they are more concerned with the sigtag.

I borrowed the term squirrelly from Kevin - it makes me picture a squirrel running around trying to keep people away from his stash.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

The simple response would've been to thank Nelson for putting on what would have been a contest that required a lot of work to run. You then could've proposed something for a future contest that may have been of more interest to you. You could've also said nothing at all...

Nelson, thanks for trying to get this going. This is a cool idea for a contest. Now you can sit back and enjoy the month and some great smokes!

Paddy, I played soccer for 12 years and love to watch the World Cup. I think the lack of good soccer in the states has stunted the popularity growth. However, the World Cup is awesome! I had a ton of fun watching in 2006 and rarely missed a televised game. Even if the U.S. wasn't playing I was capitvated.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

12. Default

I'm not assuming anything. Remind me, which network carries the MLS games?

Thread closed.

Blog Entries

Thread closed.
    1. It really doesn't matter how many people are into the sport - the point is that an established member here was putting forth the effort (and hosting these contests is not an easy thing) to host a fun contest and your comment came across (to me at least) as rude and arrogant.

2. You don't close threads here.

In my opinion you owe Nelson an apology, and need to take the advice of "read more, post less". Here is a good thread for you to read: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/12252-Any-Takers

-Buzz

Thread closed.
    setanta - smart ass
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Contest Canceled. OP updated.
    Too bad. This contest started and ended in between me logging in.

If others would have played, I may have joined in as well. The problem is, I don't have a television, and following any sport online is difficult enough. Match that with the fact that I don't know much about the sport, and I don't have a prayer to win. From what I've read about other contests on the board, the problem isn't so much about the length of time they take, as how probable it is to win. I mean, the PPP will end up taking almost 5 months, the investment was reasonably minimal (4 smokes instead of 5), and there was a pretty good chance at an immediate jackpot). Other contests are fully supported by the host and or several hosts. I think it was a good effort, but for the factors mentioned above, it might be a tough sell.

I do love watching soccer, however. This is still one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed on live television.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Thread closed.
    Threads are never closed. Especially not when you say so.

To answer your question, these are your options to watch the MLS games if you are so inclined:

http://www.satellitetv-news.com/2010...espn-networks/ ESPN huh...I wonder why the hell they would broadcast football?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/SanAn...irectkick.html Hmmm....doesn't every sport have something like this available? NBA League Pass, MLB Extra Innings? I am shocked

https://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/secure/registerform Of Course, if you are on the go and need to catch the games online, at work, at the airport, in the waiting room...why not go for this option?

Ian, Mark, Buzz, Paddy: I knew this was a long shot but I just wanted to lob it out there in case people were interested. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them. I will definately enjoy watching most games (eventhough some of them might be in my office at work ). I have requested the days off for when Honduras plays. Special cigars are in order for those matches

Dumbass Motherfucking Shitface (I am assuming thats what the letters stand for): You still have not answered my question. I am very much interested in seeing how your trade is working out!

17. Default

Dumbass Motherfucking Shitface (I am assuming thats what the letters stand for): You still have not answered my question. I am very much interested in seeing how your trade is working out!
    Geez, aren't we a little touchy? I really don't care what you think - I gave you a suggestion for improving the contest and that contest was cancelled, just as I predicted. As far as I'm concerned, I was correct - the contest sucked as stated.

So, in conclusion, fuck you.

Blog Entries

Geez, aren't we a little touchy? I really don't care what you think - I gave you a suggestion for improving the contest and that contest was cancelled, just as I predicted. As far as I'm concerned, I was correct - the contest sucked as stated.

This is pretty much the opposite of an apology. Oh well.

-Buzz

Blog Entries

To answer your question, these are your options to watch the MLS games if you are so inclined:
    See, I wish this were more of an option for other major sporting events. I was able to watch the NBA Western Conference semi-finals and finals on TNT online, but only when they were playing in LA. I searched everywhere for the game last night, and wasn't able to find it anywhere. I can even watch college football online as well. What I find very curious (at least for the sporting events I've seen online is that they don't ever show commercials. In the case of college football, it's just a blank screen. In the case of the NBA western conference finals, they just keep the feed going of whatever is going on at the Forum (where the Lakers play). I just think it's weird, that's all.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

So let me get this straight. You gave unsolicited "advice" after you knew that you did not qualify to participate in this contest. If the contest sucked, why did you even bother to post in this thread? That makes you look like an idiot.

Then I asked you a question, which you avoided and proceeded to be a smart ass asking about the networks and there I go again, answering your question. What do have to say about my response by the way? Do you feel like a dumbass to know that you were wrong? Was I not right in saying that you assume incorrectly?

I also reiterated my original question, which you still have not responded to.

Again, you dodge it and do not respond. Feeling a little pushed against a wall? And my my, I feel devastated by your comment "fuck you". Is that all you've got? I am still waiting a response from you about the networks and your trade. This makes the third time I ask. Are you mature enough to answer?

Thread Information