Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Oregon

Default Hello from Oregon

Hi everyone. This is the Jive Turkey from Corvallis, which is in the heart of the Willamette Valley of Oregon (and home of OSU and the Beavers for you academics and/or sports fans out there).

Got into the hobby a few months ago on a whim when I decided to stop in the local B&M on my bike commute. Looking for a relatively short smoke, I got a Partagas Black Label Pronto and another lighter-colored one. Obviously, I liked the Black Label best and have since bought a 30-pack to fill my little desktop humidor. I smoke 'em slow and get over an hour easy, especially with a glass of port or pint of stout.

I'm leaning toward the darker and stronger cigars (just like my beer and coffee). Later I want to get a bigger humidor and start adding some bigger smokes for longer sessions. Anyone have any opinions about the cigars in this maduro sampler: http://www.famous-smoke.com/famous+b...ars/item+32381

My other major hobbies are bicycle mechanics/riding and beer homebrewing/drinking. I'm the same JiveTurkey on http://www.bikeforums.net and http://www.homebrewtalk.com

Oh and I've also enjoyed my Prontos on the disc golf course--perhaps a new spin on a classic combo.
    Last edited by JiveTurkey; 06-14-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    Hi everyone. This is the Jive Turkey from Corvallis, which is in the heart of the Willamette Valley of Oregon (and home of OSU and the Beavers for you academics and/or sports fans out there).

Got into the hobby a few months ago on a whim when I decided to stop in the local B&M on my bike commute. Looking for a relatively short smoke, I got a Partagas Black Label Pronto and another lighter-colored one. Obviously, I liked the Black Label best and have since bought a 30-pack to fill my little desktop humidor. I smoke 'em slow and get over an hour easy, especially with a glass of port or pint of stout.

I'm leaning toward the darker and stronger cigars (just like my beer and coffee). Later I want to get a bigger humidor and start adding some bigger smokes for longer sessions. Anyone have any opinions about the cigars in this maduro sampler: http://www.famous-smoke.com/famous+b...ars/item+32381

My other major hobbies are bicycle mechanics/riding and beer homebrewing/drinking. I'm the same JiveTurkey on http://www.bikeforums.net and http://www.homebrewtalk.com

Oh and I've also enjoyed my Prontos on the disc golf course--perhaps a new spin on a classic combo.
    Love the screen name...

Welcome from Bitterville.

Out of that sampler, I like the Padron, Cuvee & CAO Brazillia...I'm not a big fan of the RP Olde World Reserve. The rest, I haven't tried yet.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Welcome from The Republic of Texas

Welcome from South Carolina
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Good introduction. Makes me want some Pinot noir. Welcome.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

Blog Entries

Welcome from CO.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Welcome to the board. I'm a fan of maduros as well as port wine and stout beer. They go well together.

My favorite maduros are Oliva Serie G or O maduros. I recommend you give them a try.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Blog Entries

Welcome from AZ. That Famous sampler isn't bad - but you might want to consider doing the Newbie Sampler and requesting maduro / full strength sticks - I think it is a better deal, plus you'll get a trade on this site under your belt.

Newbie Sampler: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...mpler-Thread-V

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Welcome from MA.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Welcome from AZ. That Famous sampler isn't bad - but you might want to consider doing the Newbie Sampler and requesting maduro / full strength sticks - I think it is a better deal, plus you'll get a trade on this site under your belt.

Newbie Sampler: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...mpler-Thread-V

-Buzz
    Thanks for the tip. I saw the link in another into thread and was considering it. I'll keep the sampler thread handy; perhaps later down the road when I get a bigger humidor.

Thanks for the tip. I saw the link in another into thread and was considering it. I'll keep the sampler thread handy; perhaps later down the road when I get a coolidor.

Fixed that for ya. Welcome from Pennsylvania.

Blog Entries

Welcome from NW Louisiana. We moved from Bend about a year and a half ago. Loved it up there.

Of that selection - I'd go with the Padron. But go the newbie sampler route - you won't be disappointed.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome from hot and sunny Florida!

The newb sampler is the way to go but make sure that you have room in your humidor for at least 20 sticks. The people on this forum are extremely generous!

Welcome

Welcome to the boards from AZ!

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Welcome from the other side of the state. I hope you enjoy the boards. Roger
    Just another day at the office!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Welcome from the other side of the state. I hope you enjoy the boards. Roger
    Thanks. I'm ashamed to say I've not been that far east in Oregon. Drove to the Idaho panhandle, but went up through Spokane. Definitely a goal of mine to explore the whole state.

I'm 27 and have never even been to Crater Lake. My wife and I are vacationing in and around there this summer. Looking forward to a few smokes laid back next to the campfire!

Welcome from NW PA
    I second...or third the newbie sampler, you will be very impressed.

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Thanks. I'm ashamed to say I've not been that far east in Oregon. Drove to the Idaho panhandle, but went up through Spokane. Definitely a goal of mine to explore the whole state.

I'm 27 and have never even been to Crater Lake. My wife and I are vacationing in and around there this summer. Looking forward to a few smokes laid back next to the campfire!

Yeah I know what you mean. I lived in Oregon for 7 years and last year was my first trip to crater lake. You gotta go it is astounding! I don't get over your way too often, but when I do perhaps we can get together and have a herf. We will see what happens in the future. Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Thread Information