Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick Selection

Default Stick Selection

How do you select which cigar you are going to smoke? Do you know beforehand? Do you decide last minute? What factors affect your selection?

I usually open my humidor and look through all my cigars until one jumps out at me. Rarely will I have one preselected. Although this past Sunday I knew I wanted to smoke a Camacho Triple Maduro after my baseball game while sitting around the cooler drinking beer.

Usually my mood affects what I select. If I'm in a crappy mood I'll select a favorite cigar so it will help cheer me up. Most of the time I'll pick a cigar I haven't tried yet.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Blog Entries

I open whichever humidor strikes my fancy, reach in, grab something and close the lid. Rarely do I put one back and select another, and if I do, it's usually a size thing with the cigar being too big for the anticipated time for smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    ...it's usually a size thing...
    Heard that one before...

Blog Entries

I don't smoke that often, so I usually have a few days to mull over my next cigar. But usually, I get an idea in my head of what I want to smoke, and just stick with it until it's lit.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

For me it's both the smoking duration and what I'm doing at the time. If I'm working in the shop and might forget about it I'll go with something cheaper. If I'm drinking I'll go with something stronger. If I'm hungover I'll go with something milder I don't have sticks in mind beforehand with the exception of special occassions. Even then it's just a narrower bunch to choose from.

Todd

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TravPSU View Post
    Heard that one before...
    And when she said it, how did it make you feel?

I don't get much of a chance to smoke during the week, so come the weekend I head out to the back deck with several cigars that seem like a good idea to smoke. Some times I smoke them all in one night, others I finish up over the weekend.

If I have no clue what I want, I'll dig around till something strikes my fancy.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TravPSU View Post
    Heard that one before...
    Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    And when she said it, how did it make you feel?
    LMAO Funny shit

Blog Entries

Sometimes I have a pre-determined cigar, like if I'm planning a review. Most of the time, I look in, and just get a vibe for one. Sometimes I know I want a yard gar. Sometimes I know I need Padronification. I usually reserve the fancy ones for a review or a deserved celebration where I won't have interruption.

You're all welcome for my useless post.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Time of day makes a difference to me before 5pm milder smokes after dinner stronger smokes. and weekend's are for better quality gar's.

Cabrito the goat tells me what cigar to smoke.
    I may not agree with him, but there is no Democracy with Cabrito.
    Total dictatorship
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Cabrito the goat tells me what cigar to smoke.
    I may not agree with him, but there is no Democracy with Cabrito.
    Total dictatorship
    Well, your goat must have great taste in sticks!

Personally, I just pick whatever suits my mood at the time!

It depends if I am smoking alone or with a others. If I am alone, I pretty much just reach into the humidor and grab one. If a buddy is coming over to drink or if I am going somewhere with friends I tend to grab sticks that I have multiples of so we can discuss the flavors.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

That is a real hard one for me to answer. Since I am such a newb, I want a different experience most every time... and yet if I go someplace to smoke, like a lounge or a cruise, I prefer to take sticks or buy sticks I know I like. I guess it depends on what shade of wrapper looks best to me at the time. But again I have much to try and for as often as I smoke... it becomes problematic at most to pick something.
    Just another day at the office!

If there's a special occasion/celebration I typically have a particular stick in mind. Otherwise, I like to browse and just grab whatever catches my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by EGeekBMe View Post
    It depends if I am smoking alone or with a others. If I am alone, I pretty much just reach into the humidor and grab one. If a buddy is coming over to drink or if I am going somewhere with friends I tend to grab sticks that I have multiples of so we can discuss the flavors.
    My good friend smokes cigars occasionally. Each time I go visit him I try to pick out cigars that I think he'll enjoy. On the flip side, he introduced me to pipe smoking and does the same with pipe tobacco.

I generally have an idea of what I'm going to smoke although I may not know the brand yet. If I've had a good meal I always go for something a little more full but if it's just sitting out at a bar or golfing it's something lighter.

I normally stick to buying cigars in the robusto size. These are generally a 45 minute smoke or so and that's normally perfect for me. I do have a few larger smokes in my humidor now but they will be sitting there for a while until a special occasion when I feel like being a chimney for more than an hour.

Tonight was a case of knowing what I wanted to smoke beforehand. I bought this Cain Maduro the other day and knew I'd have some free time tonight to smoke it. So far, so good.

19. Default

For an average day, I tend to simply look into the humidor and pick something out. I have one, my GOF, that I'm saving as a "last hurrah" kinda thing before I leave for school.
    On that note, I'm trying to find a good stick by the end of the summer that will be fantastic with 4 years of age and that I can save for my graduation. I like to keep one or two on hand that are for special occasions.
    Like I said, other than those saved sticks, I just reach in and pick one.

I start out looking in the cooler then move to each humidor till i see something i think i may want to smoke.
    I grab it and then start 2nd guessing my decision and end up grabbing something totally different most of the time.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Thread Information