Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storage

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    My fingers fell, and posted this unnecessary reply.

I'm more intrigued as to why pipe tobacco doesn't need humidified. In my local B&M, they keep pipe tobacco in large jars with firmly sealing lids. Thinking about it, chewing tobacco is usually kept in the same type of pouch - with that whatever-it's-called lining, and chewing tobacco seems moist. I'm guessing the tobacco keeps itself humidified? Who here can answer these inane questions?
    My B&M keeps their tobacco in large jars with firmly sealing lids that also have humidification pucks attached to the bottom of the lid.

From Wikipedia...
    "Too finely cut tobacco does not allow enough air to flow through the pipe, and overly dry tobacco burns too quickly with little flavour. Pipe tobacco must be kept in a humidor or an airtight container to keep from drying out."
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

From what I have gathered pipe tobacco is best suited to be around 30-40%. It doesnt need to be humidified but it does need to be kept from drying out.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    While you wouldn't want your pipe tobacco to be on the dash of your car for a month in the sun, it also doesn't need to be 70%ish Rh like cigars.
    Believe it or not some people "stove" their Virginia tobacco by leaving it inside a car several days parked in the sun...Usually it's tinned tobacco they do this to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guado View Post
    From what I have gathered pipe tobacco is best suited to be around 30-40%. It doesnt need to be humidified but it does need to be kept from drying out.
    Yeah, I didn't really convey my thought that it needs to be a little moist, but not like cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Believe it or not some people "stove" their Virginia tobacco by leaving it inside a car several days parked in the sun...Usually it's tinned tobacco they do this to.
    No shit! I bet that would make my truck smell good.

Good info. This is shaping into a nice thread.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information