Thread: Anybody here ever hear of Tacoland?

Default Anybody here ever hear of Tacoland?

Tacoland is a tiny little dive of a bar near downtown San Antonio that has been a big part of the local music scene here for more years than I know. The two bands I have played in over the years played there many times, and a lot of bands from all over the states have played there. A lot of punk...a lot of rockabilly, punkabilly, country, metal, just about anything you can think of.

Ever heard of the Dead Milkmen? They wrote a song about Tacoland. http://www.deadmilkmen.com/

Anyway, the owner of the place (Ram Ayala) was shot and killed the night the Spurs won the Championship. While everyone was partying downtown after the win two guys who were in the bar shooting pool pulled out guns and shot Ram to death and critically injured two others who work there in an apparent robbery attempt. They are still at large.

It was a sad event here...Ram and his bar were legendary in Punk and Rockablilly circles in this area. The night after I went to the bar to pay my respects along with hundreds of others who had crossed paths with Ram over the years.

Just finished visiting with an old bandmate of mine I hadn't seen in a couple of years. He had missed the memorial gathering that night...and it just brought back a lot of memories, so I just thought I might ask if anyone here had ever heard of the place.

R.I.P. Ram

Jesus no, i've never been there, that's terrible. I visit San Antonio a couple times a year on business, too bad I never heard of it or went there.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information