Thread: Moisture in pipe #2

Default Moisture in pipe #2

I am a newbie pipe smoker, I have two pipes. One is supposed to have the paper tube filter, I have them but don't have one installed and it works fine.

The other pipe is giving me problems, instead of a space for a filter, it has a metal tit in the mouthpiece end that pokes into the bowl tube. This pipe gets wet inside when I smoke it. I think the smoke hitting the metal causes condensation.

Am I right? If so, can I remove the metal tit?
    There's only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD60 View Post
    I am a newbie pipe smoker, I have two pipes. One is supposed to have the paper tube filter, I have them but don't have one installed and it works fine.

The other pipe is giving me problems, instead of a space for a filter, it has a metal tit in the mouthpiece end that pokes into the bowl tube. This pipe gets wet inside when I smoke it. I think the smoke hitting the metal causes condensation.

Am I right? If so, can I remove the metal tit?
    Yes, you can remove it.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

3. Default

That might be the reason...Is your tobacco wet.

i was running in to this problem before when i was packing my pipe to much, but now that I'm doing it half way right i don't see that much moister collecting,
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

I'm having trouble uploading a picture of one of mine. It had that barb that MarkD60 is talking about. I was told that's there purposely to collect any moisture, through a condensation mechanism, to avoid the fluid from coming into the mouthpiece.

I took that piece off, and have not had any trouble.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

I'm going to take the metal tit out, I suppose it unscrews or will pull out if I heat it a bit.

Actually (kind of embarrassing) I sometimes cut an inch off the foot of a cigar and it fits perfectly in one of my two pipes. I selected the bowl diameter to match my most commonly smoked cigars ring gauges. I have pipe tobacco, but cigar tobacco is much better.
    There's only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Blog Entries

There's the pic I was trying to upload last night.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

That is very similar to the one I removed. It smokes great now! No moisture or bubbling sound.

Thread Information