Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bourbons

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    I had a shot of pappy 15 yr old. Nothing to build a golden temple over but good bourbon.
    From what I read and hear, the 15 yr old is supposedly the best of all five. They are:

10 year
    12 year
    15 year Reserve
    20 year Reserve
    23 year Reserve

so you had the best of the best!

I think you summed it up the best Kevin:

Nothing to build a golden temple over but good bourbon
    In my very limited experiences as on the previous page, the Pappy's 12 year is indeed my favorite but I don't understand all the hype. There are fanatics out there that would lie, cheat, steal or pay four figures for this stuff and I just don't get it.......

A long time ago on CigarPass, I was involved in a Cigar Pass started by a guy named Tom aka "Toaster." He put a special treat shot of cognac in the pass box for each participant. Turned out is was Remy Martin Louis XIII which now, goes for $2,800.00 a bottle. At the time, I was a huge cognac fan, regularly drinking all levels of Remy, VS, VSOP, XO, Millennium and finally the Holy Grail of Remy Martin, the Louis XIII.

Yep, that Louis XIII was the best cognac I've ever had but is it 28 times better than the XO which I can get for $100.00? No way but damn it was GOOD and I'll never forget Tom for offering that to us, what a treat!

In closing, $100.00 for Pappy 12 yo bourbon is a far better deal than Remy Martin XO for about the same price, IMO. Cognac is good but I think bourbon is better.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 08-23-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

CC, I'm curious about your bottle of Ardbeg. At this point would you say you drink it for the sentiment? There's no fuggin way that dram could even be a shadow of what it was 10 years ago if it has been open all this time. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer View Post
    CC, I'm curious about your bottle of Ardbeg. At this point would you say you drink it for the sentiment? There's no fuggin way that dram could even be a shadow of what it was 10 years ago if it has been open all this time. Please tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong, Scotch and most hard liquors do not spoil when the bottle is open. It tastes just as good now as it did when I bought it. Wine on the other hand starts to oxidize immediately and is no good in twenty four hours if you don't "pump" (suck the air out of) the bottle. There is precious little, if anything in an 80+ proof bottle of booze to oxidize so the taste will not change. If you think it does, you're imagining things.

If you think I'm wrong, go "goggle" it.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Can always count on you for a spirited reply. I suppose it was an ill thought out question given that I could never even keep a bottle of booze for ten days let alone ten years. Although, I can say that I've had the opportunity to try several wines that would still blow you away after 24hrs.
    Uh, bourbon...I do agree that Old Grand Dad is pretty great for what it is.

Blog Entries

Can always count on you for a spirited reply. I suppose it was an ill thought out question given that I could never even keep a bottle of booze for ten days let alone ten years. Although, I can say that I've had the opportunity to try several wines that would still blow you away after 24hrs.
    Uh, bourbon...I do agree that Old Grand Dad is pretty great for what it is.

LOL, you're being way too nice! I would have said, "Can always count on you to be a dick."

You're correct in that many nice wines are still good the next day, probably not so much the case with say a bottle of "Two Buck Chuck"
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    You are wrong, Scotch and most hard liquors do not spoil when the bottle is open. It tastes just as good now as it did when I bought it. Wine on the other hand starts to oxidize immediately and is no good in twenty four hours if you don't "pump" (suck the air out of) the bottle. There is precious little, if anything in an 80+ proof bottle of booze to oxidize so the taste will not change. If you think it does, you're imagining things.

If you think I'm wrong, go "goggle" it.
    Have a friend whose wife was "cleaning up" his scotch collection. She assumed all of his half empty bottles were "spoiled" so she poured them down the drain...

Winston - just had a dram of King Alexander with my brother over the weekend. I don't think it is one bit less pleasurable than the day I opened it nearly 10 years ago. I agree with CC - as long as you keep it corked it's as good as the day you open it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    LOL, you're being way too nice! I would have said, "Can always count on you to be a dick."

You're correct in that many nice wines are still good the next day, probably not so much the case with say a bottle of "Two Buck Chuck"
    ...wine, on the other hand, doesn't last much more than 24 hours after opening. It is much more fragile. Though I've had some reds that were far better the next day after they "opened"

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Have a friend whose wife was "cleaning up" his scotch collection. She assumed all of his half empty bottles were "spoiled" so she poured them down the drain...

Winston - just had a dram of King Alexander with my brother over the weekend. I don't think it is one bit less pleasurable than the day I opened it nearly 10 years ago. I agree with CC - as long as you keep it corked it's as good as the day you open it.
    That sounds lovely. I'll have to search out a "Grail" whisky one of these days for said experience. I did pick up my first Japanese whiskey over the weekend. I'll report back.

Default Bourbons

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    This - not so lovely.

I'm gonna roll with this thread since the closest to "whisky" was "whiskey". This isn't bourbon either but I'd say it's closer to bourbon than scotch.

Heavy body with a great balance between sweet honey/caramel and ripe fruit and oak. Very good.

This - not so lovely.
    Yeah - considering he was a serious scotch collector and dumped about $1k worth of some significantly rare scotches!

The laugh we had was a VERY nervous laugh - he doesn't blame her because she had no clue. But - he did have a pretty long conversation with her about how long open bottles of spirit will last. He believes she understand but (at least temporarily) has his collection under lock and key...

12. Default

Man...What I would not give for a good dram of whiskey. Not had a drink since New Year's Eve. Alcohol and arthritis melds do not mix.

Blog Entries

I'm gonna roll with this thread since the closest to "whisky" was "whiskey". This isn't bourbon either but I'd say it's closer to bourbon than scotch.

Heavy body with a great balance between sweet honey/caramel and ripe fruit and oak. Very good.
    I've never had that but we have a bunch of customers that are constantly coming in for this and they ooooooh and ahhhhhhh over it.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

I bought a bottle of this on a recommendation from one of my co-workers and MAN is this stuff good! It only cost a little over $20.00 making it one of the best deals in the store. It's a Heaven Hill product and very nice, smooth, caramel flavor. It's a "single barrel" for those of you who care about that.

I know I already talked about it in my earlier post but the more I drink this, the more I like it.

As you can see, the bottle is almost gone. I'll have to get another one this week. That's a white Maine Coon cat named Lilyanna keeping an eye on it for me.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 09-14-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Having some Michter's small batch tonight. Delish.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I've had some Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace, both from Buffalo Trace Distillery over the past couple of weeks.

The Buffalo Trace is inexpensive, around $20.00. Not bad but nothing special, not much flavor, a little bit of a bite, weak nose.

The Eagle Rare 10 year is much better and doesn't cost much more. It's relatively hard to come by, as is the Buffalo Trace. My store gets a few bottles of these every three or four months or so. The Eagle Rare, has a bit more body than the Buffalo Trace, not as much of a bite, nicer nose.

For a few bucks more, I'd recommend the Eagle Rare 10 year.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Wow, I forgot to mention I bought a bottle of Hancock's Reserve about a month ago. It's around $40.00 or so and WOW, is this stuff good.

It's intense, I get "the palate shows a balance of honey, clover, fruit and spice." as described in the write up on the Total Wine website. The nose is wonderful, deep amber color. Now granted many times the "color" doesn't mean much but most times, it is indicative of a heavier, more full-bodied bourbon.

At $40.00 a bottle, it's certainly not inexpensive but I believe it's a bargain at this price.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

I picked up Michter's small batch American Whiskey. I'm not sure why this isn't described as a bourbon. It's very good.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I was able to get my hands on another Buffalo Trace bourbon, Old Weller Antique. It's 107 proof so it's a little on the "hot" side but very nice.

I also picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. This one is 90 proof and very nice and smooth. Another winner from Buffalo Trace.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Hey CC,

I agree with most of what you said. You need to sample the Knob Creek again though. Toss a damn ice cube in it, ya damn curmudgeon. Or at least a whiskey stone.

Cool note on the Blantons. Don't throw away the stopper. Take a look at it. There's a letter on the bottom left behind the horse. The horse and rider are in a stage from standing to full gallop. (I'm doing this from memory, so the stages may be incorrect) There are a total of 8 different stoppers. Each with a different letter, and stage in going from standing to full gallop.

I'll give you one guess as to what the letters spell out. Pretty cool.

I actually just bought my brother a display for the bottle and stoppers. It's made from a half of the bottom or top of one of their charred whiskey barrels. They also send the wood shavings from the drilled holes for decoration, or (what I would use it for) smoking some meat on the Egg or grill.

Hope all is well!

ETA Just realized I quoted your post from Aug. Not the most recent. Above still stands....
    Last edited by TheGreekTitan; 12-02-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Thread Information