Thread: Bourbons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I've been drinking quite a few different bourbons lately and I also like rye as well. I drink them neat, no ice and no mixers.

Rye:

Old Overholt: An inexpensive "mixing" rye that isn't bad straight up, 86 proof, ~$15.00.
    Rittenhouse: Another mixing rye that is very good straight up, 100 proof. From Heaven Hill Distilleries ~20.00.

Bourbon:

Blanton's: Pretty darn good bourbon from Buffalo Trace, two thumbs up, ~$45.00. Tough to get, it's "highly allocated" at my local liquor store meaning that it's kept in hiding for the "good" customers.

Two Stars: A Total Wine product also distilled at the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Buffalo Trace Distillery is where the famous Pappy Van Winkles is made which is supposedly the holy grail of bourbon. Two Stars isn't bad, it's a "value" bourbon for about $20.00 that is pretty good but a little thin for me, it's 86 proof

Old Grand Dad "Bottled in Bond" 100 proof bourbon. Wow, for something that's supposedly a cheap, mixing bourbon I think this is the best value I've come across. I really like this stuff. My father used to drink it long, long ago and I found two bottles he bought over 30 years ago buried in the cabinet under the bar. They're both gone now and I really enjoyed them.

McKenna single barrel, Bottled in Bond, 100 proof bourbon. Supposedly a step up from Old Grand Dad and yes it's smoother but not as much caramel taste as Old Grand Dad. I find it smoother than the Old Grand Dad which is a plus for the McKenna. I think I paid in the low $20.00 range for it. This is also from Heaven Hill Distilleries and an excellent value. To me, it's on the level of a Blantons for half the price.

Pappy Van Winkle 12 year old, 90 proof. Yes, I'm lucky enough to have gotten my hands on this and yes, it's freakin' fantastic but the MSRP is $95.00. Is it five times better than Rittenhouse Rye and Old Grand Dad? I don't think so BUT it's a nice bottle to have on hand for a treat once every other month or so. I use the same strategy with my high-end bottles of scotch, save them to savor on special occasions. My nicest bottle of scotch is Ardbeg Lord of the Isles which cost me about $285.00 ten or so years ago and if you could find one now, it would run over $1,500.00. I still have about a third of it left and only treat myself to a glass of it every other year or so, usually on a holiday. Anyway, back to the Pappy's yes it is incredibly good and if I ever secure another bottle of it, I might drink it more than once every other month but for now, I'm saving it for when my bourbon palate is better developed.

Gentleman Jack: I had this a long time ago and remember liking it.

Woodford Reserve: Had this one a long time ago too and liked it more than the Gentleman Jack.

Maker's Mark: I think it's overpriced and over rated. I found it harsh and not to my liking. I've heard the Makers 46 is better so I'll give that one a try in the future.

I had a Knob Creek earlier this evening, nothing special, better than the Maker's Mark but I won't run out and buy it.

Bottom line is the Two Stars is an excellent value and not too harsh but if you're looking for a value with a little more oomph, then Old Grand Dad 100 is the go to.

A step up from the Two Stars is the McKenna 100 proof, Blantons is nice but pricey.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 08-23-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Hey CC,

I agree with most of what you said. You need to sample the Knob Creek again though. Toss a damn ice cube in it, ya damn curmudgeon. Or at least a whiskey stone.

Cool note on the Blantons. Don't throw away the stopper. Take a look at it. There's a letter on the bottom left behind the horse. The horse and rider are in a stage from standing to full gallop. (I'm doing this from memory, so the stages may be incorrect) There are a total of 8 different stoppers. Each with a different letter, and stage in going from standing to full gallop.

I'll give you one guess as to what the letters spell out. Pretty cool.

I actually just bought my brother a display for the bottle and stoppers. It's made from a half of the bottom or top of one of their charred whiskey barrels. They also send the wood shavings from the drilled holes for decoration, or (what I would use it for) smoking some meat on the Egg or grill.

Hope all is well!

ETA Just realized I quoted your post from Aug. Not the most recent. Above still stands....
    Last edited by TheGreekTitan; 12-02-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    Hey CC,

I agree with most of what you said. You need to sample the Knob Creek again though. Toss a damn ice cube in it, ya damn curmudgeon. Or at least a whiskey stone.

Cool note on the Blantons. Don't throw away the stopper. Take a look at it. There's a letter on the bottom left behind the horse. The horse and rider are in a stage from standing to full gallop. (I'm doing this from memory, so the stages may be incorrect) There are a total of 8 different stoppers. Each with a different letter, and stage in going from standing to full gallop.

I'll give you one guess as to what the letters spell out. Pretty cool.

I actually just bought my brother a display for the bottle and stoppers. It's made from a half of the bottom or top of one of their charred whiskey barrels. They also send the wood shavings from the drilled holes for decoration, or (what I would use it for) smoking some meat on the Egg or grill.

Hope all is well!

ETA Just realized I quoted your post from Aug. Not the most recent. Above still stands....
    Yeah, I know about the letters on the stoppers however, quite a few of the Blanton's customers do not though so thanks for mentioning it.

I have three bottles so far and each time I buy one, I make sure the letter on the stopper is one I don't already have. I heard an urban legend that one of the letters is supposedly hard to get. I also don't know if there are two different figures on the "N" since "BLANTON'S" is indeed eight letters but only seven unique letters. I guess I just have to pay real close attention to the Ns, LOL!

Bourbon has been my primary drink for a better part of this year and I have to say, the Hancock Reserve is my all around favorite. Bourbons are like cigars, they're all different from one another and one day I may be in the mood for the Elmer T. Lee (90 proof) and another day, I may want a lighter one like the Two Star. Overall though, my "go-to" is the Hancock Reserve.

EDIT: The Elmer T. Lee is 90 proof, not 107 as I posted incorrectly the first time, musta been drinking too much bourbon at the time, LOL!
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 12-19-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Yeah, I know about the letters on the stoppers however, quite a few of the Blanton's customers do not though so thanks for mentioning it.

I have three bottles so far and each time I buy one, I make sure the letter on the stopper is one I don't already have. I heard an urban legend that one of the letters is supposedly hard to get. I also don't know if there are two different figures on the "N" since "BLANTON'S" is indeed eight letters but only seven unique letters. I guess I just have to pay real close attention to the Ns, LOL!

Bourbon has been my primary drink for a better part of this year and I have to say, the Hancock Reserve is my all around favorite. Bourbons are like cigars, they're all different from one another and one day I may be in the mood for the Elmer T. Lee (107 proof) and another day, I may want a lighter one like the Two Star. Overall though, my "go-to" is the Hancock Reserve.
    Ha! Yeah, I haven't done much research on it (and won't, because sometimes ignorance is bliss), but in regards to the "N", the horses posture (or gait?) is the way to distinguish. I have seen a picture an gold stoppper. Now, that would be an unicorn imo.

Pretty cold in Nova Scotia right now?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    Ha! Yeah, I haven't done much research on it (and won't, because sometimes ignorance is bliss), but in regards to the "N", the horses posture (or gait?) is the way to distinguish. I have seen a picture an gold stoppper. Now, that would be an unicorn imo.

Pretty cold in Nova Scotia right now?
    TheGreeekTitan,

Sorry, I missed this earlier? Oh yeah, tooooooo cold up here in good ole N.S. The closest Total Wine store to me is Everett, MA. Flights are pretty cheap from Halifax to Boston on WestJet and Air Canada, beats driving, I'm getting too old for that crap, LOL!

Great point about the "N", I'm definitely going to check out a few Ns and see if the horses are all the same or if there are two different gaits (or whatever, I don't know the proper terminology either).

You're a heck of a lot smarter than I am, that's for sure....
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 02-03-2017 at 11:38 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information