Thread: P.A.D.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

come on guys i need more info. do you buy estate or new? i would love to hear more

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Blog Entries

Nice!

A little elbow grease and those can be brought back to very nice looking, sweet smoking pipes, Will.

I've purchased a couple lots of estate pipes from ebay recently, I have so far about 80% of them that are back to smokeable status.

The bits can be cleaned by soaking them in 50-50 bleach water solution for about 15 minutes, then rinse really well. Turtle wax rubbing compound and/or polishing compound works great, I did all mine by hand, but a low RPM bench buffer would be ideal.

Cleaning out the bowls is a bit more involved, maybe google "salt alcohol pipe treatment".
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpollock View Post
    come on guys i need more info. do you buy estate or new? i would love to hear more
    I buy both estate and new. Most of my pipes are new but certain lines like Dunhill, Castello, etc...are beyond my means so if one comes up on ebay I will bid for it. I will also buy estates from my favorite carver, as he has an annual pipe that comes out and I'm trying to get the older ones for the complete set. Unless you are good at cleaning out old pipes I would suggest buying a new one. It'll take a bit of work to properly break it in but at least you'll know its clean and actually in good shape.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Blog Entries

I'd really like to get into this one day, just not today.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

James what kind of selection does the Tinder box have at the store in Murry? or is there a better place in SLC to buy from ?
    Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpollock View Post
    James what kind of selection does the Tinder box have at the store in Murry? or is there a better place in SLC to buy from ?
    Dustin
    The Tinder Box has a nice selection, but kind of pricey, Dustin. I usually buy online. Shoot me your address again, and I will send you some samples of good pipe tobacco after the holidays. Go find yourself a couple inexpensive cob pipes. I recommend these for dabbling, experimenting, and getting started out. If you enjoy smoking pipes and settle on some favorite tobacco or blends, then it would be time to invest. There are a lot of nice new pipes to be had out there for between $50 and $100 such as Stanwell. Then the sky is the limit!
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    The Tinder Box has a nice selection, but kind of pricey, Dustin. I usually buy online. Shoot me your address again, and I will send you some samples of good pipe tobacco after the holidays. Go find yourself a couple inexpensive cob pipes. I recommend these for dabbling, experimenting, and getting started out. If you enjoy smoking pipes and settle on some favorite tobacco or blends, then it would be time to invest. There are a lot of nice new pipes to be had out there for between $50 and $100 such as Stanwell. Then the sky is the limit!
    X2 - Just take the filters out if your pick up the filtered lines and smoke em; like a normal pipe. Very easy break in too for a cob. I like the country gentleman shape as its is pretty decent sized bowl
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Here ya' go: adds up to just less that $2 per pipe. These are also nice to smoke outside/in the shop and whatnot, so if you drop one, you are not out much. Not sure why they include screens with em'. You won't need those unless you are smoking a different leafy substance...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-Corn-cob...item29fff90e9f
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

9. Default

Moved this thread at the request of badwhale...Since this area has become a bit more active It's a good idea.

Post up some pics of your pipes. Also made it sticky.
    Last edited by cigarsarge; 07-31-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Blog Entries

My new Nording freehand, about to fire it up for the 1st time.

[/IMG]

Nice looking pipe.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Default I, too, have fallen victim...

For those who don't read the blogs, the photos below are the new pipes I picked up a while back at the Brass Pipe in Fabulous Ft. Pierce, FL. Actually, the pipes aren’t new. They have been in the store display case for a long while. I thought they were fairly priced for the size and detail of the designs. It will take a little experimenting to get them seasoned and working right. Meerschaum is a funny material. I need to dig up some information on general handling.

Feather Chief – This is a decent representation.

Skull Chief – Here’s the Halloween version of the chief.

Dragon – Whatever…

Blog Entries

Cool pipes, Smoked!

Will

Edit: Scrolling up....nice pipe tdre too!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information