Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premium Rums

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I have had Plantaion a few times. I little too sweet for my taste.
    What matters is which Plantation you've tried. The Ferrand (Cognac) family owns the label "Plantation" - They buy rums from a quite a few countries/makers and typically finish them in France in cognac casks before bottling.

The point being, 1 bottle of Plantation does not represent the name/line "Plantation". With the exception of them steering clear of additives and appearing to try to select rums that are clean from all their sources, specific flavors and characteristics like "too sweet" would likely be applicable to the specific bottle you tried and may even deviate per vintage of said country/region/maker.

The bottle above is a Grand Reserve bottle containing rum from Barbados. The higher tiered vintage bottles of the Barbados rums are similar but pretty different than the standard Grand Reserve bottles I've had (for example). Not to mention the Guyana, Nicaraguan, Jamaican etc. bottles I've tasted were completely different as were some of their specific vintages/releases with-in.

All that said, you might try bottles from opposing regions/countries/makers. Or maybe it could be that the cognac finishing is something you don't like across the board.

My knowledge on rum’s is limited at best.
    I tend to stick with Brugel & Barbancourt because I know
    they are dry. There is also one I like very much from Panama.
    The name escapes me. I should put more effort into research.
    Che, you seem to be very knowledgeable.
    Are there any “drier” rum’s you would suggest I try?
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

3. Default

Must go rum shopping when the check arrives...

4. Default

My knowledge on rum’s is limited at best.
    I tend to stick with Brugel & Barbancourt because I know
    they are dry. There is also one I like very much from Panama.
    The name escapes me. I should put more effort into research.
    Che, you seem to be very knowledgeable.
    Are there any “drier” rum’s you would suggest I try?
    I do enjoy Barbancourt (8 & 15) a lot. Brugel I'm kinda ify about but will not walk away from a measure.

Was the Panamanian rum you're thinking of Ron Abuelo? Did I mention Plantation has a Panamanian rum bottle too? My best guess is theirs is hand picked rum from VARELA HERMANOS, S.A. the maker of Abuelo rums.

If Barbancourt is your standard measuring stick for "dry", I'd say your choices get slim. Besides Brugel, my guess is you'd probably like Ron Barrilito 3 star (Puerto Rican), maybe Flor de Cana 12 year old or the 18 (Nicaragua). The thing at least for me is, unless one is really acclimated to rum, drier & less sweet rums tend to be tougher to sip (neat) than sweeter ones.

Barbancourt is somewhat of an anomaly. If you like all the flavor in Barbancourt (beyond its drier less sweet components) including its grassier lighter overtones, then what you'll actually want to give a shot is "Agricole Rhums". Look for Depaz Blue Cane Rhum or Clement VSOP to begin with. As far as the pure cane grassy notes go, agricoles tend to be like extreme Barbancourt. Very dry, very grassy and to many witnesses, much rawer.

From what little I understand, Barbancourt tends to be made using Agricole methods, but supply-wise they supplement by use of some molasses in their process. Not sure if that is exactly it but haven't really reason to question it. True Agricole is made from fresh pressed sugar cane (ABSOLUTELY NO MOLASSES).

Hope the drivel above is of some help.
    Last edited by Chè; 01-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.

5. Default

I enjoy Pusser's Navy Rum. It's the actual rum that the English Admiralty served to it's sailors. It's the real thing. Puts a pencil in your pants and courage in your heart.
    When Winston Churchill was asked why the British Navy was so successful he replied, "Rum, (Pusser's) Sodomy and the lash".
    Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Yes the Panamanian rum is Ron Abuelo. I have only limited my rum intake to two or three different brands due to the fact of blindly buying bottles I did not care for. I have purchased a few Rums from Martineque & other countries that where far too sweet. I tend to like dry spirits with a short finish. I think that is why I indulge on tequila blanco so often. I will seek out your examples and apprciate you advice. Massachusetts is a hard place to find some spirits. I have to have friends send me mezcal because it is impossable to find at any store. mail-order booze is a big NO-NO
    in MA so the internet is of no help.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chè View Post
    Since winter moved in, haven't been on the rum much (mostly whiskeys and brews lately). Since I poured a couple of shots just over an hr ago figured I come rant about it. Excellent. Not overpriced either. Enjoyed with a Montecristo No.4.
    Neat thread full of rums I can't get! (but I'm happy with what I do get, just picked up a bottle of Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof at the Liquor store tonight.)

Any opinion on the Plantation Barbados 20th Anniversary? There was one bottle at the Liquor store, maybe I should go back?
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Yes the Panamanian rum is Ron Abuelo. I have only limited my rum intake to two or three different brands due to the fact of blindly buying bottles I did not care for. I have purchased a few Rums from Martineque & other countries that where far too sweet. I tend to like dry spirits with a short finish. I think that is why I indulge on tequila blanco so often. I will seek out your examples and apprciate you advice. Massachusetts is a hard place to find some spirits. I have to have friends send me mezcal because it is impossable to find at any store. mail-order booze is a big NO-NO
    in MA so the internet is of no help.
    Paddy - Pyrat Rum is (to me) on the drier, more "raw" side. When in the mood, I enjoy sipping it with more full bodied cigars. ...and it comes in a cool bottle! You might want to give that a try.

Funny - I was recently eyeing a bottle of the Plantation and thinking about summers in in the back yard... But, alas, the winter weather here had me opting instead for a bottle of Templetons Rye.

Thanks for the review - I'll look more seriously at Plantation the next time I'm "shopping".

9. Default

Factoring in you like tequila, I'd say try to find a bottle of the Depaz Blue Cane Rhum. It's not cheap, ($45ish), but has a definite tequila-like bark and bite to it. I wouldn't say its finish is short, but it's sharper than Barbancourt even imho.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Neat thread full of rums I can't get! (but I'm happy with what I do get, just picked up a bottle of Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof at the Liquor store tonight.)
    Enjoy. The HCBP is being altered and repackaged as we speak. The title is being changed and (I haven't had the new to compare) according to others I'd trust, the blend doesn't taste quite the same.

Probably in the minority but I thought it was a bit of deception with it being described as "Barrel Proof", when in fact it's always carried a fixed ABV.

Thread Information