Thread: Premium Rums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Premium Rums

Been off on a rum kick the last couple of weeks. Went through the other thread which was slightly dated -- so I'm kind of curious what are folks' current top picks?

Right now, we're liking the Zaya rum. A little pricey here at $40 but really tasty.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Right now, we're liking the Zaya rum. A little pricey here at $40 but really tasty.
    Is this the newer Angostura related Zaya (Trinidad) or the discontinued Zacapa related (Guatemalan)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chè View Post
    Is this the newer Angostura related Zaya (Trinidad) or the discontinued Zacapa related (Guatemalan)?
    Zaya Gran Reserva 12yo Trinidad. Tastes like a Creme Brulee.

Blog Entries

Che, where they hell you been for the past five years?

Welcome back!

I like Havana Club but I'm not really much into premium rums.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

6. Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Zaya Gran Reserva 12yo Trinidad. Tastes like a Creme Brulee.
    You might want to give the Angostura line a try. This version of Zaya is a blend of their rums.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Che, where they hell you been for the past five years?
    Trying on dresses and stuck in line at "Forever 41".

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I like Havana Club but I'm not really much into premium rums.
    I know exactly what you mean. I like Ferraris but I'm not really much into fast cars. LOL
    Last edited by Chè; 08-16-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chè View Post
    I was at my local NH liquor store and they had 4 bottles of the zacapa 23 yr Guatemalan. Had not idea it was discontinued. Looks like I should pick some up.

Edit - funny, I checked the state inventory and it shows only three bottles in the state and not at the store I was at. Looks like I really need to pick some up tomorrow.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 08-18-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: new info

8. Default

Zacapa was NOT discontinued. No stampede necessary.

The private brand "Zaya" lost it's source which was the same distillery (as Zacapa) but a different blend. Zacapa continues to be produced. Zaya the brand continued but the source of the rum is no longer Guatemalan nor related to Zacapa.

Does NH = New Hampshire? If so, you guys have some nice prices on certain liquors. That said, talking Zacapa, Shopper's Vineyard in NJ (quiet as it's kept lol) regularly sells Zacapa X.O. for $59.99. If you look around, that's a steal!

9. Default

Today I had a couple of small pours of this rum (hopefully the picture works).

Ron Botran 1893 is also a rum in the "Zacapa" family. Less sweet + a tad drier than Zacapa 23 & the now retired Guatemalan Zaya, allegedly in the 18 year old range.

Of the three mentioned names, I think this one comes closest or reminds me the most of a good malt, with some evident barrel char & a slight smokiness. Big thumbs up!

Thread Information