Thread: Premium Rums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default

Zacapa was NOT discontinued. No stampede necessary.

The private brand "Zaya" lost it's source which was the same distillery (as Zacapa) but a different blend. Zacapa continues to be produced. Zaya the brand continued but the source of the rum is no longer Guatemalan nor related to Zacapa.

Does NH = New Hampshire? If so, you guys have some nice prices on certain liquors. That said, talking Zacapa, Shopper's Vineyard in NJ (quiet as it's kept lol) regularly sells Zacapa X.O. for $59.99. If you look around, that's a steal!

2. Default

Today I had a couple of small pours of this rum (hopefully the picture works).

Ron Botran 1893 is also a rum in the "Zacapa" family. Less sweet + a tad drier than Zacapa 23 & the now retired Guatemalan Zaya, allegedly in the 18 year old range.

Of the three mentioned names, I think this one comes closest or reminds me the most of a good malt, with some evident barrel char & a slight smokiness. Big thumbs up!

3. Default

Back in the saddle, just went through a measure of this retired classic. Still love this stuff when ever I desire a heavier, sweeter pour.

4. Default

Opened this up earlier today. Good stuff. Less attitude than their 12 year old, still a very nice sipping rum!

5. Default

Since winter moved in, haven't been on the rum much (mostly whiskeys and brews lately). Since I poured a couple of shots just over an hr ago figured I come rant about it. Excellent. Not overpriced either. Enjoyed with a Montecristo No.4.

I have had Plantaion a few times. I little too sweet for my taste.
    I tend to like Dominican & Hatian rum's. Barbancourt is my favorite.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I have had Plantaion a few times. I little too sweet for my taste.
    What matters is which Plantation you've tried. The Ferrand (Cognac) family owns the label "Plantation" - They buy rums from a quite a few countries/makers and typically finish them in France in cognac casks before bottling.

The point being, 1 bottle of Plantation does not represent the name/line "Plantation". With the exception of them steering clear of additives and appearing to try to select rums that are clean from all their sources, specific flavors and characteristics like "too sweet" would likely be applicable to the specific bottle you tried and may even deviate per vintage of said country/region/maker.

The bottle above is a Grand Reserve bottle containing rum from Barbados. The higher tiered vintage bottles of the Barbados rums are similar but pretty different than the standard Grand Reserve bottles I've had (for example). Not to mention the Guyana, Nicaraguan, Jamaican etc. bottles I've tasted were completely different as were some of their specific vintages/releases with-in.

All that said, you might try bottles from opposing regions/countries/makers. Or maybe it could be that the cognac finishing is something you don't like across the board.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chè View Post
    Since winter moved in, haven't been on the rum much (mostly whiskeys and brews lately). Since I poured a couple of shots just over an hr ago figured I come rant about it. Excellent. Not overpriced either. Enjoyed with a Montecristo No.4.
    Neat thread full of rums I can't get! (but I'm happy with what I do get, just picked up a bottle of Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof at the Liquor store tonight.)

Any opinion on the Plantation Barbados 20th Anniversary? There was one bottle at the Liquor store, maybe I should go back?
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Neat thread full of rums I can't get! (but I'm happy with what I do get, just picked up a bottle of Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof at the Liquor store tonight.)
    Enjoy. The HCBP is being altered and repackaged as we speak. The title is being changed and (I haven't had the new to compare) according to others I'd trust, the blend doesn't taste quite the same.

Probably in the minority but I thought it was a bit of deception with it being described as "Barrel Proof", when in fact it's always carried a fixed ABV.

Thread Information