Thread: Humidor Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Humidor Question

As I said in my intro in general discussions, I'm new to the whole cigar thing, but learning quickly. I'd like your thoughts on a first humidor. I looked pretty extensively thru this forum and didn't see anything on this topic.

I'm still learning what I like and don't like, so for a while my purchases will be small quantities of a variety of cigars, like samplers, so I'm not ready for make a coolerdor or anything too large or elaborate, a 50ish humidor would probably suit me fine for now. I've seen such for sale online for about $50-$75, but I've also seen online articles saying you'd be better off dropping your cigars in the nearest trash can and saving the time and effort of storing them in such a humidor. Is that true, or was it just written by someone who makes expensive humidors for a living? Would I be better off buying the humidifier, hydrometer, and a spanish cedar cigar box and putting them in a tupperware container?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markd View Post
    I looked pretty extensively thru this forum and didn't see anything on this topic.
    ha.

I'm still learning what I like and don't like, so for a while my purchases will be small quantities of a variety of cigars, like samplers, so I'm not ready for make a coolerdor or anything too large or elaborate, a 50ish humidor would probably suit me fine for now.
    ha ha.

I've seen such for sale online for about $50-$75, but I've also seen online articles saying you'd be better off dropping your cigars in the nearest trash can and saving the time and effort of storing them in such a humidor. Is that true, or was it just written by someone who makes expensive humidors for a living? Would I be better off buying the humidifier, hydrometer, and a spanish cedar cigar box and putting them in a tupperware container?
    Think about the purpose of what you're trying to accomplish: you need some kind of storage solution that will consistently stay at a specific level of humidity. There's a reason why so many people on this board recommend a coolerdor. You're going to quickly acquire many cigars that will soon overflow that 50 ct. humidor. It will happen. Ask anyone with over 100 posts on this board. They'll all agree.
    If aesthetics is what you're after, then yes, look to a nicer wooden humidor. There's plenty of options out there, all you need to look for is that it's lined with Spanish Cedar. You'll need to keep a gallon of distilled water handy, and I recommend getting humidification beads, no matter what humidor setup you choose.

This question seems to get asked frequently. In an effort to answer the inevitable next question, I also recommend Padrons.

Welcome from Hell.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

A coolidor is not elaborate. It's simply a cooler with a humidification device and hygrometer (optional, but recommended). Keeping cigars in Spanish Cedar cigar boxes is good, too.

Here's what I do: I have two humidors, a small one for small cigars and a medium one for full-sized cigars. I'll bring these out to friends to pick a smoke and I'll pull from these as well. The rest of the cigars are kept in cigar boxes in the coolidor, tucked away in the corner, to refill the humidors and to age sticks for an extended period.

This system allows me to have two nice looking, yet small, humidors and an industrial-looking, but big, coolidor for the stockpile.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    A coolidor is not elaborate. It's simply a cooler with a humidification device and hygrometer (optional, but recommended). Keeping cigars in Spanish Cedar cigar boxes is good, too.

Here's what I do: I have two humidors, a small one for small cigars and a medium one for full-sized cigars. I'll bring these out to friends to pick a smoke and I'll pull from these as well. The rest of the cigars are kept in cigar boxes in the coolidor, tucked away in the corner, to refill the humidors and to age sticks for an extended period.

This system allows me to have two nice looking, yet small, humidors and an industrial-looking, but big, coolidor for the stockpile.
    Exactly!!

5. Default Check this site out:

I bought a humidors from Thompson Cigar for myself awhile back and a few for others as well since then. So far I've been pleased with what I got - just an fyi if you're looking for some extra variations beyond what a local shop might have in stock.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Tushing View Post
    I bought a humidors from Thompson Cigar for myself awhile back and a few for others as well since then. So far I've been pleased with what I got - just an fyi if you're looking for some extra variations beyond what a local shop might have in stock.
    I can't believe this newb linked Thompson. You should be shot. Drawn and quartered and your head stuck on a pike and displayed at the city gates.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Thread Information