Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidor Question

Default Humidor Question

As I said in my intro in general discussions, I'm new to the whole cigar thing, but learning quickly. I'd like your thoughts on a first humidor. I looked pretty extensively thru this forum and didn't see anything on this topic.

I'm still learning what I like and don't like, so for a while my purchases will be small quantities of a variety of cigars, like samplers, so I'm not ready for make a coolerdor or anything too large or elaborate, a 50ish humidor would probably suit me fine for now. I've seen such for sale online for about $50-$75, but I've also seen online articles saying you'd be better off dropping your cigars in the nearest trash can and saving the time and effort of storing them in such a humidor. Is that true, or was it just written by someone who makes expensive humidors for a living? Would I be better off buying the humidifier, hydrometer, and a spanish cedar cigar box and putting them in a tupperware container?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markd View Post
    I looked pretty extensively thru this forum and didn't see anything on this topic.
    ha.

I'm still learning what I like and don't like, so for a while my purchases will be small quantities of a variety of cigars, like samplers, so I'm not ready for make a coolerdor or anything too large or elaborate, a 50ish humidor would probably suit me fine for now.
    ha ha.

I've seen such for sale online for about $50-$75, but I've also seen online articles saying you'd be better off dropping your cigars in the nearest trash can and saving the time and effort of storing them in such a humidor. Is that true, or was it just written by someone who makes expensive humidors for a living? Would I be better off buying the humidifier, hydrometer, and a spanish cedar cigar box and putting them in a tupperware container?
    Think about the purpose of what you're trying to accomplish: you need some kind of storage solution that will consistently stay at a specific level of humidity. There's a reason why so many people on this board recommend a coolerdor. You're going to quickly acquire many cigars that will soon overflow that 50 ct. humidor. It will happen. Ask anyone with over 100 posts on this board. They'll all agree.
    If aesthetics is what you're after, then yes, look to a nicer wooden humidor. There's plenty of options out there, all you need to look for is that it's lined with Spanish Cedar. You'll need to keep a gallon of distilled water handy, and I recommend getting humidification beads, no matter what humidor setup you choose.

This question seems to get asked frequently. In an effort to answer the inevitable next question, I also recommend Padrons.

Welcome from Hell.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

A coolidor is not elaborate. It's simply a cooler with a humidification device and hygrometer (optional, but recommended). Keeping cigars in Spanish Cedar cigar boxes is good, too.

Here's what I do: I have two humidors, a small one for small cigars and a medium one for full-sized cigars. I'll bring these out to friends to pick a smoke and I'll pull from these as well. The rest of the cigars are kept in cigar boxes in the coolidor, tucked away in the corner, to refill the humidors and to age sticks for an extended period.

This system allows me to have two nice looking, yet small, humidors and an industrial-looking, but big, coolidor for the stockpile.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    A coolidor is not elaborate. It's simply a cooler with a humidification device and hygrometer (optional, but recommended). Keeping cigars in Spanish Cedar cigar boxes is good, too.

Here's what I do: I have two humidors, a small one for small cigars and a medium one for full-sized cigars. I'll bring these out to friends to pick a smoke and I'll pull from these as well. The rest of the cigars are kept in cigar boxes in the coolidor, tucked away in the corner, to refill the humidors and to age sticks for an extended period.

This system allows me to have two nice looking, yet small, humidors and an industrial-looking, but big, coolidor for the stockpile.
    Exactly!!

5. Default Check this site out:

I bought a humidors from Thompson Cigar for myself awhile back and a few for others as well since then. So far I've been pleased with what I got - just an fyi if you're looking for some extra variations beyond what a local shop might have in stock.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Tushing View Post
    I bought a humidors from Thompson Cigar for myself awhile back and a few for others as well since then. So far I've been pleased with what I got - just an fyi if you're looking for some extra variations beyond what a local shop might have in stock.
    I can't believe this newb linked Thompson. You should be shot. Drawn and quartered and your head stuck on a pike and displayed at the city gates.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    I can't believe this newb linked Thompson. You should be shot. Drawn and quartered and your head stuck on a pike and displayed at the city gates.

Doc.
    Speaking of K7, has anyone seen him lately?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Speaking of K7, has anyone seen him lately?
    He posted a little while back that he was going through some stuff...don't know if it was from the accident or not, but I hope he is doing alright.

9. Default

Welp, I guess that suggestion wasn't good! Sorry everyone but I've had some good success with thompson

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Tushing View Post
    Welp, I guess that suggestion wasn't good! Sorry everyone but I've had some good success with thompson
    Compared to what? Joe S. Ragman's cigar emporium? I have a feeling if you did business with a reputable cigar retailer, your opinion would change...Dramatically.

Doc.
    Doc

Blog Entries

Compared to what? Joe S. Ragman's cigar emporium? I have a feeling if you did business with a reputable cigar retailer, your opinion would change...Dramatically.

Doc.
    Not to mention the balance in the checkbook.

Doc.
    I've patronized Joe Shitz the Ragman's Emporium. Nice place! (compared to Thompson's, that is). Just like Schlitz is better than Pabst Blue Ribbon beer!

Me? I prefer Heinekin's or Beck's, personally.

I purchased a 100 count humidor from my local B&M. The following link is the exact same one that I have:

http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/...6384/catid/165

I've had it over a year now and I'm quite happy with it.

FWIW, I live in Canada and paid very close to $200 including taxes for the same humidor.

I'm not saying the above web site is the place to buy a humidor, or that it's the humidor you should buy (mostly I'm just bitching that I had to pay around 2.5 times what you guys in the US would pay.....lol.......but that's Canada for you). In fact, I'd recommend you hit some local cigar stores and see what they have and do some shopping around comparing prices and types of humidors before you settle on the one you want.

As has been mentioned, if you get into this addiction.....errrr.....hobby, I would suggest you buy a large (100 to 150 count) humidor to start and expect to either buy another humidor in the next few years, or, plan on making a coolerdor along the same time frame.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    ...snip...Just like Schlitz is better than Pabst Blue Ribbon beer!
    Now I'm not saying that either are very good but as far as shitty beer is concerned I have to disagree!

PBR has to be better, it won a BLUE RIBBON

15. Default

Funny thing about Schlitz, it's owned by Pabst and brewed for Pabst by Miller. Before Prohibition it was the number 1 beer in America and regained it's popularity in 1934. A prolonged strike allowed Bud to take up market share. In the '50's they messed with the recipe and it became, by all accounts, undrinkable and a joke. I understand Pabst is using the old recipe, but it's not distributed here in New England as far as I know. I'd like to check it out. I like old man beers, as I call them, but many aren't what they were when I was a kid.

Doc.
    Last edited by Devil Doc; 09-21-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Doc

Doc

I grew up in Albany, NY and used to be able to find PBR in that area. I'm down in Jacksonville, FL now and it is on tap in every bar. I guess that the "hipsters" have taken PBR as their beverage of choice.

Blog Entries

I think he's talking about Schlitz, and I believe I saw a case of that at my distributer the other day. Might have to give it a whirl.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Armatures, every one knows that Billy beer is the only beer worth drinking.

BREWED EXPRESSLY FOR AND WITH THE PERSONAL APPROVAL OF ONE OF AMERICA'S ALL-TIME GREAT BEER DRINKERS - BILLY CARTER.

designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Ah Billy Beer, the punchline of malt beverages

Funny thing about Schlitz, it's owned by Pabst and brewed for Pabst by Miller. Before Prohibition it was the number 1 beer in America and regained it's popularity in 1934. A prolonged strike allowed Bud to take up market share. In the '50's they messed with the recipe and it became, by all accounts, undrinkable and a joke. I understand Pabst is using the old recipe, but it's not distributed here in New England as far as I know. I'd like to check it out. I like old man beers, as I call them, but many aren't what they were when I was a kid.

Doc.
    It may be nostalgic for many, but it's still "Schlitz" and "Pabst Blue Ribbon" here just south of Milwaukee (where it's brewed).

I restate my earlier observation - "Just like Schlitz is better than Pabst Blue Ribbon beer! Me? I prefer Heinekin's or Beck's, personally."

Try the Beck's Oktoberfest (if you can find it).

But Doc - I owe you big time, buddy. Let me see what I can do to honor your request. Would you care for some Hamm's too? I hear that's making a comeback!

Thread Information