Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Preferences

Blog Entries

Default Tobacco Preferences

So, I'm gonna have some extra space in the tobacco patch next year and I'd like to grow some pipe tobacco. I'm not a serious pipe smoker, so I'd like to here what kind of tobaccos you guys prefer.....straight tobacco, not aromatics....and why.

Do you like shag cut or cake? Roll? Flake?

I'll have room to grow about 2 or 3 varietes, maybe 10 plants of each variety. So tell me what you like in your pipe tobacco.

I'll tell you what you can shove in your pipe...
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

3. Default

I prefer Va/Per and straight Burley...I like flakes.

4. Default

Red Virginia, which is probably the most popularly grown tobacco. It's used in a lot of blends. It's probably a good starting place and there's an incredible amount of info out there.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

I'm not a pipe pro, but I have been enjoying Hal o' the wynd, which the tobacco reviews site says is a red Virginia Perique flake. But I also loves me the aromatics too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tdre977 View Post
    I'm not a pipe pro, but I have been enjoying Hal o' the wynd, which the tobacco reviews site says is a red Virginia Perique flake. But I also loves me the aromatics too.
    Perique is difficult to make. It takes a minimum of 1 year fermentation under high pressure and high moisture content. I don't think that will be an option for me at this point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Perique is difficult to make. It takes a minimum of 1 year fermentation under high pressure and high moisture content. I don't think that will be an option for me at this point.
    Damn, didn't realize that, Im pretty much in the dark on how most tobacco products are made, but I have been enjoying watching the progress with you guys projects.
    Last edited by Tdre977; 10-06-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Helps if you live in St. James Parish, Louisiana, too.

Doc.
    Last edited by Devil Doc; 10-06-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Helps if you live in St. James Parish, Louisiana, too.

Doc.
    Indeed.

Blog Entries

Default OK, so

this pipe tobacco thing is pretty interesting stuff. It seems that producing pipe tobacco requires some pretty particular processes. From stoving to smoking to kilning to toasting to casing to fermenting to pressure, etc...etc....etc.

I gave it a shot over the weekend, with one of the easier forms of preparation....toasting and casing. I took some pic's, but haven't downloaded them yet, I'll do that soon.

Basically, I made a very, very tiny example of a "brick" a week or so ago by stacking 6 de-veined leaves of Black Mammoth. This was actually a pile of 12 half leaves that I then cut in half again and stacked. It was about 2" or so high uncompressed. I saved out one entire half leaf and placed the other smaller cut leaves on top then folder it over like a cover.

I smashed this pile between two planks of pine board covered in plastic and squeezed the living shit out of it in a vise for 24 hours. Then I trimmed off the ragged edges and ended up with a "brick" about 1/16" thick, 3" wide and 5" long. I then put the brick in a baggie to retain it's own moisture (it was just in case when I applied the pressure, so it wasn't excessively moist) and put it in my car to absorb the heat during the day and cook.

I took some of this tobacco cut it with a pair of scissors into a shag style cut and fanned them out in a pie tin and toasted them in a toaster oven at 250 F for about 10 minutes until crispy dry.

I pulled it out of the oven and misted with distilled water.....tossed it about and misted again, until it was just moist and back into medium-case or so. Put it on the table and let it cool for about 15 minutes. Loaded the bowl and lit it up. Well. Still harsh and with a significant amount of bite on the nasal exhale....and some sting on the tongue. But. Better and smoother than before I made the brick and did the toasting and casing thing.

Next, I replaced the distilled water with sugar water made from 1/3 cup sugar mixed with 1 cup distilled water. I misted the roasted tobacco, tossed, misted, and then re-toasted the tobacco and misted again. Well. Much less harsh and with less bite on the exhale and the tongue. But. It was a bitch to keep lit. Progress, but still much to learn and experiment with.

I'm anxious to try blending, once the rest of the crop is done fermenting. I completely loaded the crop into the kiln on Saturday. I expect that process to take about a month...3 weeks before I even start sampling anything for sure.

I made a "brick" of Long Red Leaf this weekend, and hopefully by next weekend I can toast and case some of it and start mixing with the mammoth. Whippppeeeeeeeeeee.

11. Default

You might try misting it with some rum...

Blog Entries

Here are some photo's of the "bricks" mentioned in the last post. Since that date, I've had the bricks in the fermentation chamber at 110 F and 70's RH. I have not tried to prepare and smoke any more of it, but I have been smoking off the first batch I made....it really isn't all that bad. Seems as if letting it sit after preparation helps.

The first brick I made, Small Stalk Black Mammoth (my apologies for the photo quality):

Some trimmed pieces before rubbing and toasting:

Rubbed, toasted and cased:

Here is the Long Red Leaf brick that I made:

Trimmed LRL brick:

Since I made this LRL brick, both bricks have been in the fermenting chamber at around 110 F. I kept them in sealed baggies so that the only moisture involved in the fermentation was already contained in the leaf.....and also to prevent the introduction of oxygen into the process. Anaerobic fermentation is the method used to produce perique, for example, and I'll be interested to see how/if it changes the flavor and smoking quality of this tobacco.

We'll see what happens. Thanks for looking.

Blog Entries

This is a good experiment. If you decide to grow varieties specifically for pipe tobacco next year, you should have the process down to a science. Thanks for documenting this and sharing the photos.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    snip...If you decide to grow varieties specifically for pipe tobacco next year, you should have the process down to a science. snip
    Have made the decision to expand next year. Here is the plan so far:

Cigar tobaccos:
    Small Stalk Black Mammoth
    Florida Sumatra
    Havana 142
    CT Broadleaf
    PA Broadleaf

Pipe tobaccos:

Burleys:
    Tenn. Red
    Ergo
    Yellow Twist Bud

Orientals:
    Ottoman
    Samsun
    Turkish Gold
    Beinhart

Flue cured:
    Orinoco Blanco
    Rebo de Gallo Negro

Lots of room for experimentation there.

Blog Entries

So... You're quitting your job to farm full time? On second thought, growing and harvesting are the easy steps in the production. It looks like you'll have quite a bit of processing to do after the harvest. Any plans for the flue cure process?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    So... You're quitting your job to farm full time? On second thought, growing and harvesting are the easy steps in the production. It looks like you'll have quite a bit of processing to do after the harvest. Any plans for the flue cure process?
    You are exactly right.....growing and harvesting are the easy parts, but I needed something to do over the winter, thus the expansion into different strains and different end uses for the tobacco. Lots more room to play around with pipe tobacco then there is with cigar leaf.

I plan on modifying my kiln just a bit to function for flue curing as well as fermentation. Since flue curing begins while the leaf is still green, I should be able to use the kiln for both purposes during the same season. I'll flue cure the appropriate strains while the primings from the cigar tobacco are color curing and drying. That's the plan anyway.

Sweet. Awesome. Sweet.

Maybe try a soaking a vanilla bean in the sugar/water solution for a while??

Don't know but cool ass project. When I get some of these trees down I'm giving the pipe tobacco a try.

18. Default

Very interesting...Post some reviews after you smoke some.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Sweet. Awesome. Sweet.

Maybe try a soaking a vanilla bean in the sugar/water solution for a while??

Don't know but cool ass project. When I get some of these trees down I'm giving the pipe tobacco a try.
    Got plans for honey, vanilla, rum, and whiskey flavorings next. For these I think I'll use a processing called stoving. From my reading it seems as if this will infuse the flavor better.

Oh, and next year, with the varieties that I'm growing I'll get to try to produce some form or other of Latakia as well.

Of course, I'm not abandoning the cigars and non-cased pipe tobacco either. I'm convinced that a good smoking tobacco, very reminiscent of a cigar, can be created for a pipe.

BTW, let me know when and what type of seeds you need.

I will. When I have the room a garden it will be.

Thread Information