Oliva Serie V Torpedo

Overall Appearance and Presentation - 18/20 points

This torpedo is a rich chocolate brown with an attractive sheen from a moderate amount of oil in the wrapper. The cap cuts effortlessly revealing an excellent draw even before lighting. The golden and chocolate colored band is large and attractive - and compliments the rich coloring of the wrapper leaf nicely.

Lighting and Burning Properties - 14/15 points

The cigar lit easily and burned very evenly throughout the entire cigar with not touch-ups or relights necessary. This cigar is packed well - the white ash held tightly to the cigar until about one and one half inches long.

Construction - 28/30 points

The draw of the cigar never changed or became restricted throughout the duration of the burn. The cap held in place and kept its shape nicely even after becoming quite moist. No soft spots or obvious defects in the wrapper manifested themselves. This Oliva is nicely rolled.

Taste - 33/35 points

The dominant flavor in the first third of the cigar is black pepper with some secondary notes of nuts and wood. When the middle of the cigar is reached it really matures and comes into its own. The last two thirds of this cigar are really a treat. A nice balance of complex flavors that tingle the palate jump out. The once dominant pepper notes become secondary, while coffee and leather take over. A hint of spice is still noted. Again, the flavor changes in the last third. The cigar takes on a pleasant caramel and chocolate flavor that compliments and balances out the coffee and leather nicely.

Total Score - 93/100 | Excellent!

I will be stocking my humidor with a box of these Serie V Torpedoes in the near future. I suggest you do the same, as the experience borders on epic.