Thread: Oliva Serie V Torpedo

1. Default Oliva Serie V Torpedo

Oliva Serie V Torpedo

Overall Appearance and Presentation - 18/20 points

This torpedo is a rich chocolate brown with an attractive sheen from a moderate amount of oil in the wrapper. The cap cuts effortlessly revealing an excellent draw even before lighting. The golden and chocolate colored band is large and attractive - and compliments the rich coloring of the wrapper leaf nicely.

Lighting and Burning Properties - 14/15 points

The cigar lit easily and burned very evenly throughout the entire cigar with not touch-ups or relights necessary. This cigar is packed well - the white ash held tightly to the cigar until about one and one half inches long.

Construction - 28/30 points

The draw of the cigar never changed or became restricted throughout the duration of the burn. The cap held in place and kept its shape nicely even after becoming quite moist. No soft spots or obvious defects in the wrapper manifested themselves. This Oliva is nicely rolled.

Taste - 33/35 points

The dominant flavor in the first third of the cigar is black pepper with some secondary notes of nuts and wood. When the middle of the cigar is reached it really matures and comes into its own. The last two thirds of this cigar are really a treat. A nice balance of complex flavors that tingle the palate jump out. The once dominant pepper notes become secondary, while coffee and leather take over. A hint of spice is still noted. Again, the flavor changes in the last third. The cigar takes on a pleasant caramel and chocolate flavor that compliments and balances out the coffee and leather nicely.

Total Score - 93/100 | Excellent!

I will be stocking my humidor with a box of these Serie V Torpedoes in the near future. I suggest you do the same, as the experience borders on epic.

Blog Entries

Good cigar, particularly the lancero imo.

Love the V
    J
    Last edited by Collective Cigars; 12-25-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Blog Entries

These are the only Olivas I'd even consider buying but they cannot compare to the old Oliva "O" Bolds from nine years ago. I don't know why Oliva stopped making those.....
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

This was one of my first favorite sticks when I first started smoking. Not a bad price at the B&M either. This stick still hits the spot while others have come and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dasunder View Post
    This was one of my first favorite sticks when I first started smoking. Not a bad price at the B&M either. This stick still hits the spot while others have come and gone.

...and only $6 at your garage sale!

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    These are the only Olivas I'd even consider buying but they cannot compare to the old Oliva "O" Bolds from nine years ago. I don't know why Oliva stopped making those.....
    Have you tried an Series V Maduro Especial yet? If not you should. You might find you need to add one more cigar to your list of Oliva cigars you consider buying.

I've only ever had one V and liked it. However, when in Idaho last June I bought a box of 10 of the Oliva Series V Maduro Especial at the shop owners recommendation and I really like those a lot. I think I might have 5 left. I'm going to check that out tomorrow or Sunday and reduce the number by 1.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Good cigar, particularly the lancero imo.
    Yes Sir, My sister just sent me the Petit Corona last week. It was fantasitc. She said the B&M in Belfast had them but I have not seen them here in the USA yet.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

I have heard nothing but great things about these but haven't had one yet for some reason. I'm leaning torwards changing that real soon.

Great review, I'm excited to try the lancero I got recently.

Quote Originally Posted by steffanan View Post
    Great review, I'm excited to try the lancero I got recently.
    I'm smoking perhaps the opposite vitola. It's the double toro, 6 x 60. I'm intrigued by this cigar's lovely sun grown wrapper. There are minimal veins, and the oily leather texture is fantastic. Gonna have to get ahold of a lancero to compare this to.

I've tried a couple Serie V's so far, both Belicoso's, and have had mixed results. One was fantastic, and showed very similar to the note above.

The other was rolled extremely tight and I had draw problems the whole way through, rendering it almost un-smokable. Far from a good experience, but I'll write that off and try another sometime soon.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Love the V ! Good cigar.
    Just another day at the office!

I have never had a V I didn't like. Great cigar, one of the few cigars that has prompted me to buy a full box.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Thread Information