Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punch Cutter Vs Guillotine Cutter

Blog Entries

Default Punch Cutter Vs Guillotine Cutter

Before anyone gets mad at me for not using the search option, I would like to inform everyone that I did infact use the search and did not find anything that satisfied my query.

I have a punch cutter on my key chain. I normally use that to punch a small hole in my cigar (unless I am smoking one too small for that, or a torpedo or anything that the punch cutter will not work on) and enjoy it that way. I adopted this method after botching a few cigars and was seeing red as a result.

What are y'all's thoughts on the punch cutter? Am I getting lucky by never having a problem with this method, or is it truly better?

I know for torpedos and the smaller cigars, I will need to use a conventional cutter, but for the most part, am I safe with this method?

And I am putting in an edit. I just realized, I put this in the wrong spot. This is supposed to be in the accessories area. If a mod can move this for me, I would appreciate it. I sincerely apologize.
    Last edited by Xavier; 11-03-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Wrong area

Blog Entries

Use the dang search function!

The punch seems to work better for most cigars, but I usually grab the guillotine for some reason - I think it is because it looks cooler. Plus slcraiders gave me a sweet Tatuaje Buzz Cut, and well, you know I have to use that!

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Before anyone gets mad at me for not using the search option, I would like to inform everyone that I did infact use the search and did not find anything that satisfied my query.

I have a punch cutter on my key chain. I normally use that to punch a small hole in my cigar (unless I am smoking one too small for that, or a torpedo or anything that the punch cutter will not work on) and enjoy it that way. I adopted this method after botching a few cigars and was seeing red as a result.

What are y'all's thoughts on the punch cutter? Am I getting lucky by never having a problem with this method, or is it truly better?

I know for torpedos and the smaller cigars, I will need to use a conventional cutter, but for the most part, am I safe with this method?

And I am putting in an edit. I just realized, I put this in the wrong spot. This is supposed to be in the accessories area. If a mod can move this for me, I would appreciate it. I sincerely apologize.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.

- Confucius

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.

- Confucius
    I understand the quote, but I cannot tell if you are giving me a compliment for using the search function, or being satiral and giving me a good insult.

Blog Entries

OMG no don't use the punch cutter! Think of the Children!

Blog Entries

I understand the quote, but I cannot tell if you are giving me a compliment for using the search function, or being satiral and giving me a good insult.
    I can't tell either, it's the internet.

...and the answer is YES!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I can't tell either, it's the internet.
    - Truly a classic, glad to see it used again.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Punch for robusto, cut for everything else

I prefer to punch over cut. Less messy. And less chance of an assault charge.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Blog Entries

So, we have a general consensus?

Most cases Punch Cutter > Guillotine?

Blog Entries

Post a poll, then you will know for sure.

13. Default

I prefer the guillotine because I have found the punch and V-cuts to create a bit of a tar buildup over time that can cause some smokes to go slightly bitter in the last third. Make sure you splurge on a sharp cutter. A dull blade can crush the cap and/or cause you to spit out shards of tobacco every time you puff on the cigar. You can clearly see that the blade is well honed and polished on my carbon fiber Xikar.

Blog Entries

The part about spitting out shards of tobacco is the whole reason I switched to the punch cutter.

I have yet to get a taste of this tar you speak of, but I am sure once I experience it 2 times, in a row, I will invest in a xikar. The great thing about this brand is my tobacconist has an account with them, and with their replacement warranty I can just walk in and they will replace it for free.

I have found that I like my punch cutter as well.

I'm generally more fond of the punch but I have noticed on some cigars that it does cause some tar buildup. It basically is all about preference as is everything really with cigars. The best advice is use what works best for you.

It goes for everything. What humidity level? What works for you? What cut? What works for you? What cigar? What works for you? Cello on or off? Etc. etc.

There are really no wrong answers here man.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Ring gauge dictates it for me.
    The smaller ring gauge smokes like coronas & lanceros,
    get a punch cut. Larger ring gauge cigars like toros & churchills,
    get their heads clipped.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I miss saviour. Things have just not been the same since he's been gone...

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I miss saviour. Things have just not been the same since he's been gone...
    We all know how you get attached to stray puppies. Personally, I didn't even notice he was missing.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Punch on almost everything except Aņejos and Opus X as those need to be cut with a cutter otherwise you end up with a mouthful of tar.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information