Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camacho Liberty 60/40 Amendment XII

Blog Entries

Default Camacho Liberty 60/40 Amendment XII

Preview: On election day, Nov 2, I bought me a Camacho Connecticut and had that to celebrate casting my vote, fulfilling my patriotic duty to my country. The cigar was a nice smoke. Nothing amazing, but good enough for the event I was having it for. Very mild and smooth, etc, etc. That very day in my cigar shop, I got a hold of a Camacho Liberty 60/40 Amendment XII. Now, supposedly this stogie has pre-embargo tobacco in it. Yes, that embargo. I am not going to say how creditable the stories are, or if I am 100% convinced this is true. I am just saying what I have read about this stogie. You can read for yourself on the rumors around this stick.

I have not smoked it. No, this stogie is a special and rare breed. One that deserves to be smoked on a grand occasion. I just wanted to see if anyone else had smoked this before I have it myself and put up a review.

This picture is not my own, but one I found online.

Whenever the right occasion comes, and I have this special stogie, I will be sure to come back to this thread and put my ˘2 in.

PS: I did run a search, and I did find some stuff on the Camacho Liberty, but nothing in the review of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Preview: On election day, Nov 2, I bought me a Camacho Connecticut and had that to celebrate casting my vote, fulfilling my patriotic duty to my country. The cigar was a nice smoke. Nothing amazing, but good enough for the event I was having it for. Very mild and smooth, etc, etc. That very day in my cigar shop, I got a hold of a Camacho Liberty 60/40 Amendment XII. Now, supposedly this stogie has pre-embargo tobacco in it. Yes, that embargo. I am not going to say how creditable the stories are, or if I am 100% convinced this is true. I am just saying what I have read about this stogie. You can read for yourself on the rumors around this stick.

I have not smoked it. No, this stogie is a special and rare breed. One that deserves to be smoked on a grand occasion. I just wanted to see if anyone else had smoked this before I have it myself and put up a review.

This picture is not my own, but one I found online.

Whenever the right occasion comes, and I have this special stogie, I will be sure to come back to this thread and put my ˘2 in.

PS: I did run a search, and I did find some stuff on the Camacho Liberty, but nothing in the review of this one.
    Okay, Sparky - so where did you get your information that the Camacho Liberty has "Pre-Embargo" tobacco rolled into it. Off the internet?

Blog Entries

According to CI, the Liberty series has authentic pre-embargo Cuban tobaccos.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Okay, Sparky - so where did you get your information that the Camacho Liberty has "Pre-Embargo" tobacco rolled into it. Off the internet?
    Originally off the internet, but my cigar shop confirmed it when I walked in today to pick up some Spitfire's to have after seeing a concert tonight. I asked them about it, they pulled out this little cigar info book and pointed it out to me. Legit.

Originally off the internet, but my cigar shop confirmed it when I walked in today to pick up some Spitfire's to have after seeing a concert tonight. I asked them about it, they pulled out this little cigar info book and pointed it out to me. Legit.

I've heard the same nonsense as well. Okay - so do you believe everything you hear without question?

Think about it, Eintstein - the embargo has been in place for 50+ years. How much loose tobacco do you think would have been stored prior to the embargo being put into place? Loose Tobacco that would been stored would also had to have been very carefully stored for it to survive without becoming dust. And - even under the best of conditions after 50 years - how much of that tobacco do you think would be left (after all, wouldn't someone have wanted to roll it into cigars by now)?

IF (big "if") there was in fact any "pre-embargo" tobacco rolled into that cigar, it has to be of such minuscule quantity it would have absolutely no effect on the flavor.

It sure makes for a good story, though - enough to get people to buy the cigar. I believe they call that "marketing"...

Prove me wrong. Produce information about the regions in Cuba the tobacco came from, the quantities that had been stored, where it had been stored and that it in fact made it into the cigar. Otherwise - I believe you can chalk this one up in the same category as the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

Eville - you got that info from CI??? Seriously??? I get saviour doesn't get it, but I sincerely thought you were smarter than that...
    Last edited by ggiese; 11-07-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Chastising Eville

Blog Entries

I don't really care to get in a debate over the validity of their claim, I was just throwing that out there as a source. What I do know, is that the Camacho 1962 PE I smoked this summer was outstanding. Cuban or not, it was a damn good cigar that I would buy again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I don't really care to get in a debate over the validity of their claim, I was just throwing that out there as a source. What I do know, is that the Camacho 1962 PE I smoked this summer was outstanding. Cuban or not, it was a damn good cigar that I would buy again in a heartbeat.
    By "throwing that out there as a source", don't you think that qualifies you as being involved in the "debate"? After all - it appears by doing so you're supporting what saviour is posting, dontcha think?

Blog Entries

Not so much debating as much as just stating my position and moving on.

Edit: However, it did prompt me to do some more searching. I came across this interview with Christian Eiroa. He claims " When we purchased Camacho Cigars in 1995, there were 5 bales of old Cuban Tobacco from the DWG Cigar Company from Lima, Ohio. After this company was purchased by American Cigar, they liquidated their inventory.
    It was Mr. Pedro Martin who sold this tobacco to Simon Camacho. We never knew why he never used it all. We then set those bales of tobacco aside and use them for very special projects such as the Camacho Liberty cigars and the Camacho 1962 Pre – Embargo."
    http://www.cigar.com/newsletter/archive.asp?a=090507

Take it however you want.
    Last edited by Eville; 11-08-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Blog Entries

I have been told Cuban tobacco is much stronger and a bit more harsh on the palate.

I hope when I have this stogie, its no overwhelming.
    Last edited by Xavier; 11-08-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Not so much debating as much as just stating my position and moving on.

Edit: However, it did prompt me to do some more searching. I came across this interview with Christian Eiroa. He claims " When we purchased Camacho Cigars in 1995, there were 5 bales of old Cuban Tobacco from the DWG Cigar Company from Lima, Ohio. After this company was purchased by American Cigar, they liquidated their inventory.
    It was Mr. Pedro Martin who sold this tobacco to Simon Camacho. We never knew why he never used it all. We then set those bales of tobacco aside and use them for very special projects such as the Camacho Liberty cigars and the Camacho 1962 Pre – Embargo."
    http://www.cigar.com/newsletter/archive.asp?a=090507

Take it however you want.
    Thanks for providing that information. I would have loved to have had that conversation with Christian Eiroa the last time I talked to him. Five bales of tobacco, spread across all of the Amendment cigars that have been produced, would be spreading the tobacco pretty thin even under the best circumstances. However - anyone who knows Christian would know it's not in the least bit surprising that he would do something like this. He loves marketing his cigars and likes to find unique ways of distinquishing them from others...

Saviour - don't get too worked up about "tasting" the Cuban tobacco in those cigars. Even the most discerning palate would have difficulting distinquishing that the Cuban tobacco's been rolled into them.

Blog Entries

I should have thought of that. It doesn't take a genius to realize they would have to spread the cuban tobacco pretty thin in each stogie for it to have lasted this long.

Blog Entries

I should have thought of that. It doesn't take a genius to realize they would have to spread the cuban tobacco pretty thin in each stogie for it to have lasted this long.
    Cover your eyes, the light-bulbs are coming on.

For a review, the 2 sentences on the cigar that the post is based on was interesting. Thank you for all the insight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post

Saviour - don't get too worked up about "tasting" the Cuban tobacco in those cigars. Even the most discerning palate would have difficulting distinquishing that the Cuban tobacco's been rolled into them.
    This is very true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Cover your eyes, the light-bulbs are coming on.
    And my mind only works on halogen lights. It would be safe to put on goggles.

Blog Entries

There's serveral reviews of Camacho Liberty on this forum. I remember enjoying the one I had, although I remember learning later that it was purported to have pre-embargo tobacco in it.

I think it's probably true they roll a tiny bit into each cigar. Eventually it will be gone. Do I cream myself at the thought of smoking pre-embargo tobacco? No. Do I think it's a gimmick? Yes.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    There's serveral reviews of Camacho Liberty on this forum. I remember enjoying the one I had, although I remember learning later that it was purported to have pre-embargo tobacco in it.

I think it's probably true they roll a tiny bit into each cigar. Eventually it will be gone. Do I cream myself at the thought of smoking pre-embargo tobacco? No. Do I think it's a gimmick? Yes.

Will
    I will concede that the pre-embargo part its a gimmick, but that does not take away from the quality of the other tobacco in it.

Blog Entries

And my mind only works on halogen lights. It would be safe to put on goggles.
    Duhhhh...me think he try say that he smart...doi!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Duhhhh...me think he try say that he smart...doi!
    That one made me laugh a little.

Thread Information