Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JRcigars???

Default JRcigars???

So I'm sitting on the corner around my office, having some coffee, enjoying a nice Gran Cubita SMS perfecto, when I get asked by some guy what I am smoking. I tell him all about it, including the cost ($4.45).

He tells me that I should visit JRcigars.com, that they make knockoffs of popular brands, and sell them really cheap, and he gets his for like 90 cents each.

Is this possible? I would think anyone who sells fake cigars on the internet would get pounced on by the big manufacturers.

Besides, I like paying for quality tobacco, and that's what I told him. Nuff said.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

They aren't fake cigars, they are more like cigars that are made with the same smoke experience in mind. They don't try and pass them off as other cigars, they brand them with their own band and everything.

If you live near a JR though, its a great shop. Nice big walk in humidors with a large selection. People who work there are allowed to smoke the cigars as long as they are under a certain price amount and know their stuff. They also have weekly special discount sticks which let you try something new without the risk of spending what they normally cost (they limit the amount you can buy to something like 5 per stick).

I just received a catalog from JR and have been really interested in trying the JR banded smokes. If they are good the price cannot be beat.

Any particular you would suggest for someone who likes maduros with thick rich smoke and loads of flavor?
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    I just received a catalog from JR and have been really interested in trying the JR banded smokes. If they are good the price cannot be beat.

Any particular you would suggest for someone who likes maduros with thick rich smoke and loads of flavor?
    I really haven't tried them yet, but I am familiar with the shop so I am not much help there, sorry!
    Next time I stop in maybe I will pick some up.

5. Default

Stay away from the alternates. The JR Ultimate line is a good value.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua
    They aren't fake cigars, they are more like cigars that are made with the same smoke experience in mind. They don't try and pass them off as other cigars, they brand them with their own band and everything.

If you live near a JR though, its a great shop. Nice big walk in humidors with a large selection. People who work there are allowed to smoke the cigars as long as they are under a certain price amount and know their stuff. They also have weekly special discount sticks which let you try something new without the risk of spending what they normally cost (they limit the amount you can buy to something like 5 per stick).
    OK, I have no experience with them so I dunno. But if you found a stem in one of their cigars, ouch...I have never, ever found a stem in any cigar, no matter how cheap, and I've smoked at least 5-600 by now.

Default Cigar Sarge is right......

The JR Alts suck.

Howver, they sell most of the popular brands at great prices. I have always been very satisfied with their service. I have had several boxes where I did not care for the cigars after smoking one or two. They take them back with no problems within thirty days and give me a refund.

Lew Rothman who owns and operates JR along with having his hand in many manufacturers is quite a character to put it nicely. His catalog style is plastic with "honesty". But you can't deny his prices and level of service. Check them out online. www.jrcigars.com

The catalog has become rife with stuff that their trying to move out of inventory. But why not? That's what business is about. Go by their more comprehensive internet listings.

Although others have spoken poorly of the JR Alternates, I have had one or two and I've not been "burned." I did buy a pack of JR Alts and am expecting them in a day or two. If you want to wait I'll give you a review once I get the smokes.
    The only thing missing from my life is money and more Cigars.

so it's sort of like in dollar stores when they'll have a brand of lets say cologne and it'll say "compare it to "this brand"

JR Alts was what I first started to smoke before I found these BB's. They are a very inexpensive smoke, 22.00 for a bundle. They say the are alternatives to certain name brands. I keep some around now to give out at BBQs when I know certain people will ask. Cigar smokers get good cigars from me. BBQ story & review

After trying "name brand" cigars and comparing them to JR Alts.... there is a major difference.

Too bad people don't put there addresses here like CP

OK, well the guy who spoke to me today used the term "knockoff brands" but it looks like he meant "JR Alternatives"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    The JR Alts suck.

Howver, they sell most of the popular brands at great prices. I have always been very satisfied with their service. I have had several boxes where I did not care for the cigars after smoking one or two. They take them back with no problems within thirty days and give me a refund.

Lew Rothman who owns and operates JR along with having his hand in many manufacturers is quite a character to put it nicely. His catalog style is plastic with "honesty". But you can't deny his prices and level of service. Check them out online. www.jrcigars.com

The catalog has become rife with stuff that their trying to move out of inventory. But why not? That's what business is about. Go by their more comprehensive internet listings.
    Lew sold the company last year to one of the big ones (Altadis maybe?).

Ever since then, the catalogs are boring and not anywhere near as fun as they used to be.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 07-11-2005 at 11:23 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Like cigarsarge said the JR Ultimate are good smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch
    Like cigarsarge said the JR Ultimate are good smokes.
    I was surprised at the flavor - a bit more than what I was expecting. I wouldn't make this one of my "go-to" smokes, though...

I have been ordering cigars from www.cigarsinternational.com, they have a large list of cigars. They have some great values too. Click on the "Big List of Brands" and check out how many brands they have. They also explain in a paragraph or two about each brand of cigar. Check out the "Origional Cubans" they are made in the Dominican Republic, but they where origionaly from Cuba (Pre Fidel Castro). I found the info very interesting about the Cuban cigar market, the amount of fake Cubans there are and also how alot of Cuban cigars because they are State run, just plain suck! Check it out, it's a great cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    JR Alts was what I first started to smoke before I found these BB's. They are a very inexpensive smoke, 22.00 for a bundle. They say the are alternatives to certain name brands. I keep some around now to give out at BBQs when I know certain people will ask. Cigar smokers get good cigars from me. BBQ story & review

After trying "name brand" cigars and comparing them to JR Alts.... there is a major difference.

Too bad people don't put there addresses here like CP

Which alts do you buy? There are a lot of them, I'm curious how big a difference there is between them. obviously with a cigar priced as low as the Alts, there is only so much you can expect, but are some better than others in your opinion?

BTW, I have my address listed......

I was luck enough to be gifted an JR Ultimate Cabinet No.50 Cigar. I found it very tasty and enjoyed it greatly. So much that I'm working on getting a box of them. Now I haven't had the other shapes and sizes but I did enjoy this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch
    I was luck enough to be gifted an JR Ultimate Cabinet No.50 Cigar. I found it very tasty and enjoyed it greatly. So much that I'm working on getting a box of them. Now I haven't had the other shapes and sizes but I did enjoy this one.

Hmmmm - I gotta find and try one of these... The JR Alts I've had are not overly impressive... Not bad, but not impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    Hmmmm - I gotta find and try one of these... The JR Alts I've had are not overly impressive... Not bad, but not impressive...
    Mooch alert! Mooch alert!

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
    Mooch alert! Mooch alert!

... Did I tell you about my poor living conditions, my children that are sick and shoeless, the cigar shop I dream of opening one day, the fact that I am disabled and I can only smoke grape White Owls??? I didn't - oh, I'm sorry - I didn't mean to sound so destitute. One day my situation will improve... Don't send me any cigars, though - I don't want 'em!!!! Unless, of course, you really want to - in that case, I will accept them, but I don't promise to send anything in return...

Thread Information