Thread: Old Oaks Cigar Co.

Thumbs up Old Oaks Cigar Co.

For what its worth, I thought I would write my first review. I am very new to cigar smoking so I will do my best to give you an understanding of what I noticed while smoking. Perhaps a few of you can make recommendations for what I should pay attention to so I can make better reviews.

I live in Thousand Oaks CA area and there is a local cigar company called Old Oaks Cigar Co that rolls their own cigars. There is actually a table in the middle of their humidor and they have an extensive collection of cigars they wrap themselves along with many of the traditional cigars available most everywhere.

First, this place is rally cool. They have a lounge area with a full bar and a smoking room in the back. Cool place to hang out after work with a couple of buddies.

I bought four of their cigars and the first one I tried is a Connecticut wrapped blend that they make for special functions around the area. Apparently it is the one they sell to get people to come into their establishment.

This cigar lit very easily and burned pretty even the first half of the cigar. The second half burned a little uneven but not too bad. I read somewhere that you position the cigar with the slower burning side down to get it to "catch up" to the rest of the cigar. This didn't work too well but maybe I was holding it wrong.

It was very easy to draw off of and the smoke seemed very thick and white. It was very smooth and it left a bit of a peppery spice in your mouth after exhaling. I must say, it was a very good smoke. One of my favorites so far. Even with my little experience, I thought it was one of the best cigars I have smoked yet.

I called him right after to get a little more info and he said it was a blend of Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Mexican tobaccos. There is no label on their cigars so unless you tell him that you want the one they blend for local events they might not know what to sell you.

The guys name is Arseen and was very friendly and helpful. I will surely be going back to purchase some more...

Thanks for reading and please let me know if you have any questions.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review!

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

No problem. I forgot to mention that I had a Heineken Light with it and it matched very well...

Also, I'll take pics next time I do a review. I just didn't think I would like it so much so I didn't grab the camera

Blog Entries

Nice post. You never know what gems you might find at shops like that.

Did they have a wooden... ah, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    Did they have a wooden... ah, never mind.
    "I would call that person a puffnozzle" ~mrtr33

Blog Entries

Nice review. For uneven burn I've found that positioning the slow side on top and then gently purging the cigar for 10 seconds or so helps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yerman View Post
    This cigar lit very easily and burned pretty even the first half of the cigar. The second half burned a little uneven but not too bad. I read somewhere that you position the cigar with the slower burning side down to get it to "catch up" to the rest of the cigar. This didn't work too well but maybe I was holding it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Nice review. For uneven burn I've found that positioning the slow side on top and then gently purging the cigar for 10 seconds or so helps.
    Nice review. You'll find through reading that everyone does reviews differently. I just appreciate someone writing down their experience, even if I never get to smoke one of those cigars. Good stuff.
    I do second ashauler's recommendation, if the cigar is starting to burn unevenly, I put the unburned part on top, then leave it be for a minute or two. Not enough to let it go out, and I'll still puff on it while it's burning unevenly, but this way, it should eventually even itself out.

No problem. I forgot to mention that I had a Heineken Light with it and it matched very well...
    I don't believe this, though.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thanks for the tips and the comments guys.

Regarding the uneven burn, here are a few quotes I found by doing some searching on the internet...

"First, you can start by rotating the cigar so the slow burning part is at the bottom of the cigar. Because a fire needs oxygen to burn, the bottom of the cigar will burn faster (as it has access to more oxygen) than the top. This is also why you should rotate your cigar as you smoke."

"Rotate the slower burning side to the bottom. The bottom side of the cigar will burn faster since smoke does not inhibit the oxygen from feeding the burn. This is an excellent technique for keeping cigars burning even, but may not be drastic enough to completely prevent running."

"Rotate your cigar so the long side is down. Placing the long side on the bottom seems opposite our instinct. I mean come on, heat rises right??? The reason for doing this is because the tobacco leaf (as with any fuel) needs Oxygen to burn. The greatest amount of Oxygen will be introduced at the bottom because the heat, and burned oxygen, is rising and passing over the top of the cigar."

What say you?

Blog Entries

I'm too impatient to fuck around with it. I just touch it up, or pitch the smoke if it gets too bad. I've had my most serious problems in this department with Gurkhas.

Some smokes have a particularly thick wrapper compared to the binder / filler, and then you get tunneling, and you can see the wrapper wrinkling, but not burning. Those piss me off too.

Also, I believe some cigars are just rolled shitty, in which case none of this will work.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tips and the comments guys.

Regarding the uneven burn, here are a few quotes I found by doing some searching on the internet...

"First, you can start by rotating the cigar so the slow burning part is at the bottom of the cigar. Because a fire needs oxygen to burn, the bottom of the cigar will burn faster (as it has access to more oxygen) than the top. This is also why you should rotate your cigar as you smoke."

"Rotate the slower burning side to the bottom. The bottom side of the cigar will burn faster since smoke does not inhibit the oxygen from feeding the burn. This is an excellent technique for keeping cigars burning even, but may not be drastic enough to completely prevent running."

"Rotate your cigar so the long side is down. Placing the long side on the bottom seems opposite our instinct. I mean come on, heat rises right??? The reason for doing this is because the tobacco leaf (as with any fuel) needs Oxygen to burn. The greatest amount of Oxygen will be introduced at the bottom because the heat, and burned oxygen, is rising and passing over the top of the cigar."

What say you?
    I say I do what I posted above. Has worked for me.

Blog Entries

What say you?
    That hasn't been my experience. But try it out. YMMV. I'm not a fan of touching it up, but have been known to do so. I agree with the Whale though - a lot depends on the roll, and some cigars aren't worth it.

Another thing to consider is the vitola you're smoking. You probably wont' be able to smoke, say, a lonsdale the same way you smoke a toro. Some smokes you'll be able to puff away on, while others require you to take short intermittent breaks. All part of the learning process.

You'll never convince me to drink a Heineken Light though.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

12. Default

If it were a recently rolled cigar, I would expect burn issues. If you liked them, buy a box and forget about 'em for a couple of months.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I'm too impatient to fuck around with it. I just touch it up, or pitch the smoke if it gets too bad. I've had my most serious problems in this department with Gurkhas.

Some smokes have a particularly thick wrapper compared to the binder / filler, and then you get tunneling, and you can see the wrapper wrinkling, but not burning. Those piss me off too.

Also, I believe some cigars are just rolled shitty, in which case none of this will work.

Will
    Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I say I do what I posted above. Has worked for me.
    Duly noted...Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    You'll never convince me to drink a Heineken Light though.
    Haha...To each their own I guess. I usually don't drink them but I had one left over from a football game so I grabbed it. Honestly, I don't know why but the bitterness of the beer and the spiciness of the cigar just went well together.

I do have two bottles of single malt in my cabinet I usually drink when smoking but I just wasn't in the mood last night.

I do have another question for you guys...Based on my research, I think the spiciness in the cigar came from the nicaraguan leaves that were in the blend. Is this correct? Are most nicaraguan cigars spicy like that? I really enjoyed it and it was the first time smoked something other than a cuban or dominican republic cigar.

Blog Entries

I do have another question for you guys...Based on my research, I think the spiciness in the cigar came from the nicaraguan leaves that were in the blend. Is this correct? Are most nicaraguan cigars spicy like that? I really enjoyed it and it was the first time smoked something other than a cuban or dominican republic cigar.
    I don't know. In my experience, Nicaraguan cigars CAN be spicy. It is a flavor profile that I've noticed in Nicaraguan cigars, but by no means does that necessarily translate to anyone else.

For the past couple of years, I ran a contest called the Puro Pot Pass - it's purpose was to help identify flavor profiles of puro cigars. And possibly to create humiliating sig tags. But mostly the former. Maybe look there to get a better idea of the characteristics of cigars.

Cigar smoking tastes are subjective. What the seasoned palate may taste, I may not; what one person likes, another may not. Best to try everything, then formulate your own opinion.

I'd offer more advice, but you're an SC fan. I lived in south Orange County for a few years several years ago. Met my wife there. Her parents still live there. Never ceases to amaze me all of the great micro-brews available out there - just makes me cringe to see that privileged not get utilized.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information