Thread: Unfinished pipes

Default Unfinished pipes

Sarge posted this link on another thread: http://www.pipetobaccotls.com/

On the site they sell unfinished pipes. Fully carved and call, just not finished.

So the question of the day is.... how do you finish a pipe?

Or more importantly How would you finish a pipe.

2. Default

The answer to question one...Select a stain you think would compliment the pipe and apply it. I have an unfinished Nording that I have allowed to stain by smoking. It went from white as a baby's butt to a reddish color. The more I smoke it the more it colors. The oils go tight into the pipe.

The answer to the second...I don't have a clue as how to apply a stain or finish a pipe. There are pipe making forums on the net that might offer some help.

Blog Entries

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

I was checkin this out a little...

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I checked it out also. Unless there is a portion I'm missing here is what they say about finishing:

This is a critical aspect of pipe making that is often the demise of an otherwise nice pipe. Finishing a pipe can take often take as long, or longer, than the shaping of the pipe. Care in this process is worth it, as the result will be both beautiful and lasting.
    Edit - Yep that was fast. I was missing a lot. There are all sorts of links on the topic.

do not put any lacquer or the like on it - it makes it shine, but does not last and might be toxic!

Briar is a very resilient wood, and will naturally darken over time with use and the oils from your hands...I actually like the unfinshed ones.

Thread Information