Thread: 70% Beads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 70% Beads

I have a tube for my humidor, bought the recommended size tube for my humidor (100 count), and I cannot get the RH up to 70%. I run around 62-63% RH and 73-75 degrees.

The smokes seem fine but is this a problem long term? Anyone else dealing with this?

2. Default

No. Relax. I keep mine between 62 and 65 percent. I like it there. This is a tough time of year, if you're able to keep your humidity in the 60's, you'll be fine. Your temp. is a little high, though.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by kn1v3s0ut View Post
    I have a tube for my humidor, bought the recommended size tube for my humidor (100 count), and I cannot get the RH up to 70%. I run around 62-63% RH and 73-75 degrees.

The smokes seem fine but is this a problem long term? Anyone else dealing with this?
    Listen to the Doc !
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kn1v3s0ut View Post

How confident are you in the accuracy of your hygrometer?
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Pretty confident. It's digital and I calibrated it with a 75% humidity pack. I have the humidor upstairs at work and it's just warmer up here year round. What are the dangers of having too high of a temp? I am going to try and find a good spot for it downstairs.

My brother had a similar problem -- he used the recommended amount of beads for the size of his humi, and they couldn't keep him at/near 65%. I gave him a tube from my humi and that solved the problem -- I think he figured he was now running at 150% of the recommended amount. I personally run at about 250% the recommended amount because I don't like fluctuations or having to check and adjust constantly.

I wouldn't worry too much about the RH there - mine fluctuates from 63-68 this time of year where I live (in HOT central TX).

I agree - 75 is a little too warm for the cigars...I'd go for 72 at the top end - anything higher than that you might want to start thinking about a wine fridge conversion.

Now, that said. During the summer months, my sticks stay around 71-72 (drops down to a comfy 67-68 during the non-summer months) and I've never had any issues. If you are going for long term storage then you want them to stay a little cooler to age, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with 71-72 degrees, IMHO. I've been smoking cigars out of my end-table humi for several years now and haven't had any problems.

Waking the Dead
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by choinga View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the RH there - mine fluctuates from 63-68 this time of year where I live (in HOT central TX).

I agree - 75 is a little too warm for the cigars...I'd go for 72 at the top end - anything higher than that you might want to start thinking about a wine fridge conversion.

Now, that said. During the summer months, my sticks stay around 71-72 (drops down to a comfy 67-68 during the non-summer months) and I've never had any issues. If you are going for long term storage then you want them to stay a little cooler to age, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with 71-72 degrees, IMHO. I've been smoking cigars out of my end-table humi for several years now and haven't had any problems.
    Hmmmm, aren't we in the "summer months" right now in the northern hemisphere chunga?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information