Thread: Location of humidor

1. Default Location of humidor

I have had a small 25 cigar humidor for about 9 months now. It's starting to be steadily in the 80's and 90's here in Wisconsin and we don't have our a/c on all the time. Would it be a bad idea to put my humidor in the basement that is a bit musty just to keep the humidor temp around 70? Now where it is the humidor will be around 72 at night and 80-85 during the day.

Blog Entries

Yes.

Edit to clarify: I meant yes, it would be a good idea to put it in the basement.
    Last edited by Eville; 07-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Blog Entries

No.

(depends on what you mean by a bit musty)

4. Default

I really don't know how to describe it other than the normal smell you get in a basement below ground. It's not really bad or anything, it just has that musty stench in the air a little bit

Just watch the RH, I tried that in the garage about 5 years back and could not get the RH under 75% no matter how many beads I used.
    I would try a closet in a room with very little direct sunlight. Some people may disagree, but I never start to worry unless it gets over 75F.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

6. Default

I have tried moving it all over my house and it's hard with not always having the a/c on. My humidor was like $30 on amazon and one day the RH will be 70% and the next it will be 75%. To get it up to the 70% I have to use the humidifier that came with it along with Madeline crystals. Kind of a pain but it does it's job. I'm thinking about buying a new humidor but I need a good location for it. As of now the basement is the coolest spot. I found a local person on Craigslist selling a humidor from a link I will provide for $15 but I think it may be the same deal with flip flopping humidity...I could be wrong though.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=82720979357

If I was going the basement way, I would invest $35.00 in a Coleman cooler and forget the Humidor until Fall. You will have a much easier time controling temp & RH with a Coolerdor.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    If I was going the basement way, I would invest $35.00 in a Coleman cooler and forget the Humidor until Fall. You will have a much easier time controling temp & RH with a Coolerdor.

Think of your cigars as a sponge. They'll soak up the scents and odors of their surroundings. In a properly humidified and sealed humidor, they're surrounded by other cigars and spanish cedar, which does a great job of holding moisture without molding.

What you're risking with a musty-smelling basement is that scent being picked up by your cigars. Is it mold? Old moth balls? A decaying corpse? Whatever it is, although it may be slight, it could be slightly adversely affecting the taste of your cigars.

A coolerdor, while not usually aesthetically pleasing, provides a well-sealed solution. The basement provides a cooler location for the coolerdor (rather than, say, in a sunny window), and the cooler provides a sealed environment to keep outside smells and other environment undesirables from entering in.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere on here a step-by-step tutorial on setting up a coolerdor.....it's somewhere on here. I'm sure of it.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post

Think of your cigars as a sponge. They'll soak up the scents and odors of their surroundings. In a properly humidified and sealed humidor, they're surrounded by other cigars and spanish cedar, which does a great job of holding moisture without molding.

What you're risking with a musty-smelling basement is that scent being picked up by your cigars. Is it mold? Old moth balls? A decaying corpse? Whatever it is, although it may be slight, it could be slightly adversely affecting the taste of your cigars.

A coolerdor, while not usually aesthetically pleasing, provides a well-sealed solution. The basement provides a cooler location for the coolerdor (rather than, say, in a sunny window), and the cooler provides a sealed environment to keep outside smells and other environment undesirables from entering in.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere on here a step-by-step tutorial on setting up a coolerdor.....it's somewhere on here. I'm sure of it.
    +2

Trying to regulate temperature and humidity in a 25 count humidor is impossible. Every time you open it or fart near it you will get large swings in both readings. Get a cooler as mentioned.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by malibuboats91 View Post
    I have tried moving it all over my house and it's hard with not always having the a/c on. My humidor was like $30 on amazon and one day the RH will be 70% and the next it will be 75%.
    My brother had a 100 count humidor that didn't seal properly and it fluctated badly because of it. Due to the fluctuations, he was unable to get it stabalize at any one RH and tossed it out.

Yours sounds like it's not sealing properly just like his was doing.

To be honest, I'd be leary of buying a humi off of ebay unless the seller will refund your money or replace the unit if it isn't 100%. If you have doubts, or the seller won't guarantee the humidor, I suggest you take the time to go to a cigar store and look around and buy one there.

I have to agree with Paddy , mrtr33 , and VancouverMark that a coolerador might be in your best interest in your particular case. Get it setup, put cigars in it, seal it and move it to your basement. When you want a cigar, take it upstairs before opening to so as to avoid the musty smell permeating your cigars.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I have also found that with my coolerdors , I don't need to fuss with them very often. The temp & RH saty put for the most part ( maybe I add water to my HB once every 6-8 weeks ) You should find the same thing unless you run around like chickenlittle opening it 10 time a day. I would go with lower RH beads in the basement due to the dampness.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information