Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wine Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmokes View Post
    I generally don't spend any more than $20 on a bottle of wine. I don't know that I have the experience or the palette to appreciate spending any more than that.

Last night I had a bottle of Ghost Pines Cabernet. I like to try different wines but I always go back to the Ghost Pines.
    Generally speaking, I'm right there with you. There are occasions, or circumstances, that dictate otherwise. But generally, all the wines I mention in this thread fall in that price range.

For example, that Bull's Blood of Eger is about $3. Maybe $4, I'm not sure. It's definitely my go-to wine, though my wife doesn't like it all that much.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I guess. It's been a long time since I've drank through 5 bottles of wine in an evening. Of course, that was also with lots of company. Last night we went through 3:

2008 Ménage à Trois Red
    2005 Egri Bikavér Bull's Blood of Eger - I absolutely love this stuff. Very cheap. I don't care.
    some other red I didn't care for very much

This past weekend, we enjoyed a bottle of:

2008 Boekenhoutskloof The Wolftrap - best bottle of wine I've had in a while, in it's price range.

Winston, I think we're on different ends of the wine spectrum. But I appreciate the input, none the less.
    I'm really not as much of a wine snob as I'm leading you to believe. I have some generous friends and my wine budget exceeds my cigar budget as my wife would rather pop a cork than cut a cap. Only after a few hundred bottles from the grocery store have I begun to develop a palate and the patience to place quality over quantity. Not to say that quality and price are directly related. On the other hand, I really like Columbia Crest Merlot from Washington. About 6 bucks at Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by WinstonSpencer; 03-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Blog Entries

I never could get into wine, gives me heartburn. The wife drinks some, but I don't even pay attention to what she picks up. The wine section is too far from the scotch.

Blog Entries

Yesterday was the wifey's birthday so last night we opened one of the "special" bottles of wine we got on our honeymoon trip to Sonoma. It was a 2001 Blackstone Cab and it was really good - cranberry and chocolate tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Yesterday was the wifey's birthday so last night we opened one of the "special" bottles of wine we got on our honeymoon trip to Sonoma. It was a 2001 Blackstone Cab and it was really good - cranberry and chocolate tastes.
    Nice! My wife and I honeymooned in Napa.

Tonight, Newman's Own 2009 Cabernet. I could tell by the look on Newman's face he wasn't gonna do me wrong.

Blog Entries

2003 Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel. Not bad, but not great. I'd have a hard time picking up another bottle of this.

We also opened a new bottle of port. Review to follow later in my port review thread (shameless plug).

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Cupcake Cab. Sav. 2009 California.

Kinda girly but not bad at all. I'd probably get this again. About $9.

Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 Napa Valley

High acidity. Meant for food. Benefits from decanting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Had a great Mogen David 2010 a couple of weeks ago.
    Same here, a fine bottle of Mogen David blackberry wine. Man this stuff was good. Paired it with a couple of Munniemaker Longs and made for a nice spring afternoon.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I never could get into wine, gives me heartburn. The wife drinks some, but I don't even pay attention to what she picks up. The wine section is too far from the scotch.
    And a pounding headache
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

This past week or so:

Sin Zin Zinfandel 2007 - not worth the price point, but a good wine. Probably won't buy again.
    Alexander Valley Sangiovese/Rose - I have no idea how we even ended up with this bottle. Slightly carbonated, very sweet. The wifey gave it more credit than I did, and she's usually the bigger wine snob. I couldn't stand it.
    Green Fin Chardonnay - freaking fabulous. I'm quite particular about my white wines, and this one knocks it out of the park. My tastes prefer a bit more buttery Chardonnays, but for $3.99 a bottle, I won't complain.
    The Monterey Vineyards Pinot Noir (2007). Good wine. Probably would pick up again. I think it needs a bit more aging. Flavor profile pronounced in the beginning, but then it dies quickly. A bit unfair in this assertion because this is my impression after 'first opening', and I've found wine can taste different the following evening.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Green Fin Chardonnay - freaking fabulous. I'm quite particular about my white wines, and this one knocks it out of the park. My tastes prefer a bit more buttery Chardonnays, but for $3.99 a bottle, I won't complain.
    Ahhhh!!! We don't have Trader Joe's in CO so I can't get any of these cheap, tastey wines. We bought some 2 buck chuck when we were in AZ and enjoyed it while we were there.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

2003 Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel. Not bad, but not great. I'd have a hard time picking up another bottle of this.

We also opened a new bottle of port. Review to follow later in my port review thread (shameless plug).
    Now you're talkin'...

I got momma hooked on old vine zins - nice and rich with a bit of a peppery taste.

My favorite (boy does it let out a bouquet when you open the bottle) - T-Vine. I was lucky enough to pick it up at $35/bottle during a local sale. Definitely one of those wines I like to reserve for a special occasion.

But - I wholeheartedly agree with the under $20 philosophy.

Old Vine Zins in that category which are quite nice...

Seven Deadly Zins - 15ish.
    Gnarly Head Zin - 12ish.

Lately - momma and I have been drinking the Kendall Jackson Vitner's Reserve "Summation". A very nice red blend (they do have a white, but I've not yet tried it). Around 12 bucks a bottle.

And I really like the Bogle Cabernet's. Very nice!

Also - I'm partial to Montes Alpha Cabernet! It might be a turn off for some because it's Chilean, but is one of the best I've tasted for the price (under $20). As a matter of fact - I've not been disappointed with any Montes Alpha I've had.
    Last edited by ggiese; 05-10-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post

Also - I'm partial to Montes Alpha Cabernet! It might be a turn off for some because it's Chilean, but is one of the best I've tasted for the price (under $20). As a matter of fact - I've not been disappointed with any Montes Alpha I've had.
    X 2. World Market had the cabs for $8 a week or so ago, and we gave some away as Mother's Day presents. It's a fabulous wine. They also have a different 'Reserve' blend or something like that for twice the price, and while it's good, I think the cheaper stuff is just as good.

I like the old vines Zins as well - check out Cline and Four Vines. The former is a staple at our house - in my opinion, everything a zinfandel should be, but not incredibly complex. The latter is a newer wine, I've only noticed it around in the last year or so, but it's very good. Try it out!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Beso de Vino (85% syrah 15% garnacha) 2009 Cariñena

Blog Entries

Torlasco Pinot Noir - 2005: fabulous. decant.
    Honey Moon : meh.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Went out last night for a buddy's birthday dinner. We got a bottle of 14 Hands cabernet (California) and would've followed up with a bottle of Alamos malbec (Argentina) but the wine steward took too long to bring it to the table so we sent it back. She even had the capsule pre-cut when she reached the table. Tacky!

The 14 Hands was a good wine. It was served too warm...about what I expect at your average restaurant.

Last night I drank a 2005 Texas Tempranillo desert wine (port style) that I have been working on and followed it with a 2006 Texas Meritage.

Quote Originally Posted by WIP View Post
    Last night I drank a 2005 Texas Tempranillo desert wine (port style) that I have been working on and followed it with a 2006 Texas Meritage.
    Interesting. How sweet is it? What is the alcohol content?

It is sweet and sitting at 19% alc.

I haven't seen the lab test (sugar content) yet.

Thread Information