Thread: Hide a Hub in a Humidor?

Default Hide a Hub in a Humidor?

Just saw this old article and thought I'd post it up...

Since this sub-forum is for "For the cigar smoking nerds among us." I figured this was an appropriate place...

http://www.popsci.com/gear-gadgets/a...de-hub-humidor

Cool idea but kinda seems like a waste of a humidor too.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Blog Entries

From the article:

Jeffrey Stephenson's polished wood and chrome humidor sits gracefully in his living room, holding four dozen cigars, all dried to a crisp. That's because under the smokes lie a DSL modem; firewall and cache with 20GB of disk space; and a wireless hub streaming bits to and from every computer in his house.

I hope those were Shitsters.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

shitsters indeed...

It is a neat concept, but I agree- the humidor would be best off used for that- a humidor. Maybe if you had an old one laying around that had a crummy seal or something?

edit: just saw the parts list...

A Thompson Broadway art deco humidor.

B Clock to replace superfluous hygrometer.

C Chrome I/O panels, with dual 2.4GHz wireless data antennae (removed from wireless hub), multiple Ethernet ports, and a DSL jack. Video port connected to 8-inch Hall Research cable.

D DSL modem receiving 700-plus-Mbps Internet through incoming DSL line.

E 802.11b wireless access point, delivering 11 Mbps to all computers in range. AP and router cases removed, both chassis screwed to inside bottom of humidor.

F Toshiba 20GB notebook hard drive, screwed to bottom of humidor tray.

G VIA EPIA CL 1GHz motherboard with 256MB RAM, running firewall, router, cache, and anti-spam and antivirus software.

H 12-volt 60-watt power-supply board, serving the motherboard, hard disk, DSL modem and wireless hub, with 45 watts to spare.

I Crystalfontz preproduction LCD screen with four buttons to control power, reset and status of CPU, modem and access point.

J 48 Wal-Mart cigars, baked at 95

I'm a computer geek by trade and have been working in industry for around 16 years now.....the last 6 as a "Network Tecnician" specializing in enterprise networking.

I looked over that article and it was a chuckle.........but not something I'd ever consider doing for a couple simple reasons.

First, you need to have air moving around the computer equipment at all times to help dissipate heat. Heat is the enemy with all computers. Openings in the humidor to allow free airflow would be counterproductive to maintaining a steady RH. Not having openings in the humi to allow the heat out means a computer that constantly reboots once it, and the humi's interior, warm up. I figure you'd get about 5 whole minutes of computing before the reboots started to happen. In short order, the CPU would meltdown and your PC would be toast.

Second, moisture is also the enemy of any electronics.

Not that I'm against the idea of a lovely wood box for your computer, but the way I see it, you would want one or the other....a computer or a humidor. Any attempt to actually combine the two and have a working computer and a working humidor means the PC or the cigars suffer.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I'm a computer geek by trade and have been working in industry for around 16 years now.....the last 6 as a "Network Tecnician" specializing in enterprise networking.

I looked over that article and it was a chuckle.........but not something I'd ever consider doing for a couple simple reasons.

First, you need to have air moving around the computer equipment at all times to help dissipate heat. Heat is the enemy with all computers. Openings in the humidor to allow free airflow would be counterproductive to maintaining a steady RH. Not having openings in the humi to allow the heat out means a computer that constantly reboots once it, and the humi's interior, warm up. I figure you'd get about 5 whole minutes of computing before the reboots started to happen. In short order, the CPU would meltdown and your PC would be toast.

Second, moisture is also the enemy of any electronics.

Not that I'm against the idea of a lovely wood box for your computer, but the way I see it, you would want one or the other....a computer or a humidor. Any attempt to actually combine the two and have a working computer and a working humidor means the PC or the cigars suffer.
    Maybe you could change your name to CptnObvious?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

True...without a fan and ventilation of some sort it really wouldn't prove very useful- neat lookin' though!

Glad y'all got a kick out of it...I know I did.

Thread Information