Thread: Cain Daytona Corona

Default Cain Daytona Corona

Cain Daytona Corona

I had the opportunity to smoke this cigar on a beautiful day yesterday afternoon. This cigar is a new creation from Studio Tobac and features an all Jalapa Valley ligero filler vs the 3 regions of ligero on the traditional Cain lines. It should be released within a couple months.
    I smoked a Cain Habano a few hours earlier to get the day started. Afterwards I went back inside watched a little TV then lit up the Daytona. The wrapper was delicious looking and very smooth . Construction was spot on. Very strong in the barnyard smell if you know what I mean. The cap clipped off neatly with just a run of the mill generic double guillotine. There was a great underlying sweetness within the barnyard smell on an unlit draw.
    Initial light was easy and even. One thing that caught me off guard was the initial blast of spice burned a little exhaling through the nose but the flavors were amazing. You know it is a cain but has an added faint sweetness of caramel . Enjoying that first quarter of the Daytona yielded great results. A noticeable espresso was the big player on the first part of that cigar. The spice mellowed out before I hit the second quarter.

On the second quarter is where this cigar let me know it was a totally different animal. This Cain is mellower that its brothers and sisters but still maintained good body. I would say medium. What shocked me was an extremely similar profile to a Behike 52 at this point in the stick. It had a nice grassiness with a nutty finish that was even more pronounced on an exhale through the nose(no burn this time) Burn maintained even throughout even with the mild breeze I was having. There maintains a very faint spice that lingers but is not in a lead role.
    Halftime and the 3rd quarter. At this point the cigar seemed it wanted to stay relaxed. The flavors were no longer as pronounced; while still enjoyable the complexity was faintly in the background so there was hope. Here I also noticed that the cigar may need a couple months of aging but is very close to being ready.
    Fourth quarter hit me with a smile. The complexity came back…the nuttiness was back as a small fraction of the grassiness. The spice at this point is noticeable if you pay attention. Throughout this whole cigar there was a sweetness that lingered. Nothing overpowering but just enough to say hello. Here and there I noted almost a floral essence but nothing distracting…once again it offers enough variety to keep your palate from getting bored.

This cigar IMO is a winner. The transition from a blast of spice to a mellow mouthful of flavors to keep the palate dancing was great. I love the cain line and this one does not disappoint. Strength level I would definitely say was more on the medium side. I feel this cigar would be appreciated by newbs and seasoned smokers alike.

Blog Entries

Nice review. You should put your palate to test on the Blind Megareview. There's a couple spots left.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Nice review. You should put your palate to test on the Blind Megareview. There's a couple spots left.

Will
    Believe me I'd love to. My time has been way to busy as of late. I thought I was going to have a ton of free time after new years and that was a big negative. I hope one day I will be able to again...

Blog Entries

Since you're on the "board", do you have any interests in this lines success or failure?

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Nice review! I have enjoyed all the Cain cigars I have smoked. This one looks like it would be good too. Thanks for the review. Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Quote Originally Posted by guado View Post
    What shocked me was an extremely similar profile to a Behike 52 at this point in the stick.
    I wish that I knew what this one tasted like too!

Great review, I'm a fan of the Cain line in general and am looking forward to this one coming out!
    "I would call that person a puffnozzle" ~mrtr33

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Since you're on the "board", do you have any interests in this lines success or failure?
    It's a voluntary board. I have no personal gain from any of it. I was instructed to smoke and review and to be honest. I think this stick is awesome...I will admit though I love Oliva products in general...except Oliva O maduros...

Thread Information