Thread: Nitro RC truck owners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nitro RC truck owners

Okay, I have finally saved up enough money to be able to buy a nitro truck, but I am not sure where to start.
    I have run electric trucks before, so I know the very basics, but I know nothing about the nitro end of things.
    Can anybody suggest an RTR kit that would be good for a newbie?

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

I personally like the HPI Savage, tough little bastard, check out the vids on you tube, they're beasts.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/867/

Blog Entries

Savage or Associated Monster GT... I would avoid Traxxas. (based on my own research, they're not as strong or durable).

I have an Assoc. RC8 buggy, and I'm waiting for delivery of my MGT 8.0 (monday)

Here's the buggy with a fresh RJ Speed body painted by me...

Nitro is much more entertaining than electric, in my opinion. The maintanence is a bit more complicated, but if you enjoy tinkering, it's no problem.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Very nice looking buggy, I realy like the paint job you did.
    I do like to tinker with things, and, that is why I was thinking of nitro.

I was actually loking at the Savage, and I really like the looks of it. Is the Savage a fairly upgradable truck? I mean, are upgrades pretty accessible?

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

Thanks, It's my first paint job....

There are a shitload of hopup parts for the Savage, look around at integy.com, they make some nice CNC parts for a lot of vehicles. Especially the Savage.

http://www.integy.com/st_main.html?p_catid=59

I went with Associated because of my great experience with the RC8 buggy. Tower Hobbies also has an easy-pay plan where they will charge your card over three months... Makes these big boy toys a bit more accessible to me.

From what I've read, once you get into a certain price range, high or low, there's not really much difference between manufacturers within that range... A $400.00 truck is a $400.00 truck. Just scope out parts availability.

Haven't broken anything yet... Wish I could say the same thing about my helicopters! THOSE things are ALWAYS on the workbench!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    I was actually loking at the Savage, and I really like the looks of it. Is the Savage a fairly upgradable truck? I mean, are upgrades pretty accessible?
    I think in the HPI site they have an extensive list of upgrades, from alloy parts to kits for reverse. I'm running an HPI rs4 right now, seems like i break it more often than I play with it (hitting shit at 40+mph breaks alot of shit) and replacement parts are always readily available.

Blog Entries

My whip

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    Very nice looking buggy, I realy like the paint job you did.
    I do like to tinker with things, and, that is why I was thinking of nitro.

When my youngest son and I went to buy his first Nitro buggy, the first thing the store owner said was, "You'll spend 80% of your time working on them, 20% running them". He was pretty close.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    When my youngest son and I went to buy his first Nitro buggy, the first thing the store owner said was, "You'll spend 80% of your time working on them, 20% running them". He was pretty close.

Doc.
    Yep!

Mine is a HPI Nitro rs4. I've had the beast for over 10 years - wasn't horribly expensive to get into - and there are still plenty of parts and upgrades out there.

Thread Information